Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA All-in on Microtransactions

Develop reports on comments from Electronic Arts during a Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference stating that the company is so pleased with its forays into the world of microtransactions, that they are bringing the support for these in-house, and that "all" their future games will feature microtransactions. "We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way; to get to a higher level," said EA CFO Blake Jorgensen. "And consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of business."

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Mar 2, 2013, 20:04 Creston

Verno wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 14:12:
You bought packs if I recall correctly

Just sayin!

I bought one, because I had 80 points left in my account.
Everything else has been bought with in-game credits.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 28, 2013, 14:12 Verno

You bought packs if I recall correctly

Just sayin!

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

52. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 28, 2013, 13:15 Creston

crypto wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 07:33:
Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 10:27:
There were several guys who had everything unlocked, including every single ultra-rare to level X. The amount of packs it takes to do that is staggering. When asked about it, one of those guys admitted he'd blown "a few thousand bucks" on buying packs. Sadly for him, he still couldn't play for shit.)

I would expect that person to be a company plant or marketing ploy. It stops people from saying "nobody would spend that much money" or "that company is stupid for asking X dollars for Y&Z" etc. At the same time it gives the kids something to wish(whine) for. More than likely A person from the community team or PR dpt with an alt account would be my guess.

That's a possibility, but since we neither have a way to verify it one way or the other, it'll remain a theory. I know plenty of people bought packs (though far more did in the console community, where apparently the e-peen thing is more important.)

Creston

51. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 28, 2013, 13:13 Creston

NKD wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 15:07:
We short-sighted fucks would apparently rather pay for a $50 box and $50 more in DLC over a year than pay less than $100 up front and get everything. Go figure.

Obviously this isn't true for every bit of DLC released, but let's just take your statement as pure fact for argument's sake.

I would actually rather pay $50 upfront and potentially spend $50 on DLC as opposed to spending (what shall we say? 80?) bucks all upfront.

Why? Because with the DLC, I have the choice not to buy it if it sucks. I can pick and choose which DLCs I want. I like DLCs which add missions and content. I don't like DLCs which add "alternative outfits" or "one pistol and one assault rifle." (unless they're like 50 cents or something.)

So the DLC route lets me pick what I want, spend money on that, and not spend money on the stuff I don't want.

Your scenario is really much the same as the Season Pass stuff. "Get all four DLCs for the price of 3!" Sounds like a great deal, until they release a shitty DLC that you'd have never gotten if you had to pay for it piecemeal.

So far the games for which I've bought DLC are games that I've always felt were complete without the DLC and which gave me tons of value straight out of the box. (I realize that From Ashes for ME3 was literally a chunk of content they cut to sell as DLC, but since I preordered I got that for free anyway.) If I really enjoyed the game itself, and feel like I got great value out of it, I'm far more enclined to buy some DLC/more of the same.

If the game I bought is a piece of shit that lasted 8 hours and was a rip-off, the odds of me buying DLC become basically zero.

Either way, with the DLC route, the choice on whether to buy it or not is mine. I prefer it that way.

Creston

50. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 28, 2013, 13:05 Creston

Optional Nickname! wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 13:06:
When you buy license an EA™ brand apple, you pay per bite.

Slight mistake there. Fixed it for ya. Great quote otherwise

Creston

49. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 28, 2013, 07:33 crypto

Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 10:27:
There were several guys who had everything unlocked, including every single ultra-rare to level X. The amount of packs it takes to do that is staggering. When asked about it, one of those guys admitted he'd blown "a few thousand bucks" on buying packs. Sadly for him, he still couldn't play for shit.)

I would expect that person to be a company plant or marketing ploy. It stops people from saying "nobody would spend that much money" or "that company is stupid for asking X dollars for Y&Z" etc. At the same time it gives the kids something to wish(whine) for. More than likely A person from the community team or PR dpt with an alt account would be my guess.

48. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 28, 2013, 05:35 InBlack

Thank god EA makes shitty games that I dont want to touch with a 5 foot pole. Cant remember the last time I played/bought into an EA game. Think it was Dragon Age maybe....

The only one that I was mildly interested lately was BF3 and Origin turned me off that one...

I have a nifty blue line!

47. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 28, 2013, 03:04 headshot

i would gladly pay 30€ / 30$ for a game and the prospect of DLC for about 15€ / 15$ and 5-10€ / 5-10$ left for micro transactions. while the DLC would remain optional, the micro transactions would provide a small / medium boost in the game but wouldn't compromise the storyline with, let's say, an uber weapon which normally appears in late game. the DLC would add additional content over the course of one year.

that way i could buy the initial game with 100% content for 30, tie loose ends up over the course of the year if i WANT to invest additional 15 and still have financial room for small boosts.

that would be a fair way to treat a customer and would give him a lot of freedom back. but that would ruin their profits.

46. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 23:38 Silicon Avatar

The worst thing I hated about microtransactions wasn't getting hit for $2 - it was having to fiddle with a store interface every time I wanted a new outfit or whatever. It was too much hassle.

I'd rather buy DLC.

Then again, I was okay with it when I played ST:O.

I guess I just hate EA.

45. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 23:21 Fletch

No EA games in my future, I guess. Too bad, so sad.  

44. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 21:59 ViRGE

NKD wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 15:07:
Stop it? We encouraged this shit. Cost of developing game goes up, willingness of gamers to pay full retail price for game goes down. Logical conclusion is that businesses must go outside the "retail box gets you everything" business model to make their balance sheets add up.

We short-sighted fucks would apparently rather pay for a $50 box and $50 more in DLC over a year than pay less than $100 up front and get everything. Go figure.
Sad, but probably true.

43. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 18:10 Krizzen

Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 10:52:
BF3 and ME3 helped them register a ton of people, but few of those people use Origin for anything else. I 'use' it because I have to use it to run ME3. Other than that, it serves no purposes, same as that retarded Ubi thing. They will never overtake Steam. EA isn't willing to do what is necessary to overtake Steam. Plus, let's be honest, if they ever looked like serious competition, Valve/Steam can easily outspend them if necessary. Steam will never just sit still while someone else tries to take over the #1 spot.

This. I only have Origin (not sure if I still have it installed...) for BF3, and only because I bought BF3 on a ridiculous sale. I think it was less than $12. Once I noticed how much I'm missing for not buying the $60 premium package, I was completely turned off by Battlefield and EA.

Origin never tickled my fancy anyway, and likely never will considering their seemingly semi-annual sales. Steam has amazing sales almost CONSTANTLY, and it's true EA just won't cut prices to increase sales. It will hurt them in the long run, but definitely won't slow the beast down.

Serious question: I'm not much of an EA gamer (not because the company, but the games); what microtransactions does EA sale anyway?

42. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 16:38 Julio

Sigh, I hate microtransactions. EA is trying to take Ubi's crown as worst gaming company for the PC.  

41. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 16:37 TurdFergasun

time to go watch god bless america for the 10th time to purge this news from my mind.  

40. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 15:38 nin

NegaDeath wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 15:35:
E A Sports! It's probably not included with the game!

Hmm, doesn't roll off the tongue as well as the old motto.

"Challenge Fuckup Everything!"

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

39. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 15:35 NegaDeath

E A Sports! It's probably not included with the game!

Hmm, doesn't roll off the tongue as well as the old motto.

38. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 15:07 NKD

deqer wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 12:12:
How do we stop this new generation of dumb ass kids and parents from supporting this shit? How do we stop kids/parents from sinking money into this type of shit?

Anyone? Anyone know how?

Stop it? We encouraged this shit. Cost of developing game goes up, willingness of gamers to pay full retail price for game goes down. Logical conclusion is that businesses must go outside the "retail box gets you everything" business model to make their balance sheets add up.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

37. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 14:45 Yosemite Sam

EA vs Activision, in the sheeple race to the bottom, and now the once dreaded Ubisoft and their DRM are now one of the good guys of the industry. Thankfully there are far more games then time to play them so I'm not missing EA in the least.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

36. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 14:19 ViRGE

How do we stop this new generation of dumb ass kids and parents from supporting this shit? How do we stop kids/parents from sinking money into this type of shit?

Anyone? Anyone know how?

We can't. We'd have to somehow make it so that buying power didn't work out for them.

35. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 14:18 Zadig

Anyone? Anyone know how?

We can't. The mongoloids outnumber us, they have money, and they want to play games too. Someone will gladly take their money in exchange for a game that I probably couldn't be paid to play. All you can do is support the games you actually enjoy to ensure that there are alternatives to video game barbarism; because the very existence of something terrible like Call of Duty will not prevent games like FTL from being made.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo