Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

EA All-in on Microtransactions

Develop reports on comments from Electronic Arts during a Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference stating that the company is so pleased with its forays into the world of microtransactions, that they are bringing the support for these in-house, and that "all" their future games will feature microtransactions. "We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way; to get to a higher level," said EA CFO Blake Jorgensen. "And consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of business."

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

14. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 27, 2013, 10:12 HorrorScope

Ok, sure, whatever. The best news I can give is we have a choice either way.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 10:07 Darks

wtf_man wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 09:47:
Qbex . wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 09:43:
One more reason to keep away from P.O.S. Orgin.
I have to say even for a habitual gamer like me it's good going so far. So many alternatives, indie and kickstarters , good riddance EA I'm not going to miss you.

Pretty much this.

I haven't bought an EA game since Origin became a requirement.

Same here dude. I hate Origin, I will not support it. and Now EA is turning out to be a whore with the Micro transactions crap, I truly believe they would put their mother up for sale if given the chance.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

12. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 10:03 Acleacius

errr...not safe for virgin ears....

wtf most gamers avoid ea because of it?

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

11. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 09:47 wtf_man

Qbex . wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 09:43:
I have to say even for a habitual gamer like me it's good going so far. So many alternatives, indie and kickstarters , good riddance EA I'm not going to miss you.

Pretty much this.

I haven't bought an EA game since Origin became a requirement.

10. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 09:46 HoSpanky

Ehh, it's not a new concept. Back in the Tandy1000 days, you could call the space quest 3 help line for $2 a minute or something. Same concept, different execution.

I don't care if micro transactions are in single player games, as long as they don't make the game super difficult without them. Dead space 3 and Forza Horizon did a decent job of it. I beat Horizon without any purchases, but if someone wants a specific high end car super early in the game, they could buy it with real money. It wouldn't help them much, since cars are downgraded to the class of the race they're in, but they could have THAT CAR. When they make certain cars micro-transaction only, AND have an event requiring that car as part of the main event chain, ill be shitty. Until then, I don't care; let fools spend extra money as long as it isn't affecting me.

9. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 09:43 ldonyo

This isn't new at all. EA has been all-in on microtransactions since they started selling stadiums and uniforms for Madden years ago. If people hadn't been stupid enough to eat that shit up back then, the DLC explosion of crapware would never have taken off.  

8. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 09:43 Qbex .

7. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 09:41 avianflu

Annoying but at the same time, it partly speaks of the now several-year-running weak game market that EA will just microtransaction everything to grab every consumer penny they can.

6. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 09:31 netnerd85

lol... wha?  

5. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 09:20 Beamer

Verno wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 09:08:
"And consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of business."

It's a depressing world if this is true and not just Business Speak. They will just become more and more pervasive with the popular "its just biz" excuse whenever someone criticizes it or suggests that its compromising creative design. Dead Space is a great example of what happens to a franchise that is hijacked by profit margins.

Maybe we're all wrong, should EA really just need stick to sports titles and 10mil+ movers? Maybe that's best for everyone in the long run, I don't know. All I know is I'm kind of dreading what they have in store for the next Mirrors Edge, Dragon Age and Mass Effect games. Forced multiplayer, more DLC than actual game content (that day is coming) and so on.

"Dont like it, dont buy it" doesn't work if the industry can push itself to a large enough audience with marketing.

Also in before someone says this website hates EA yaddayadda

Supposedly the DS3 microtransactions weren't detrimental to the game (unless you bought them, in which case I'm sure they ruined balance and/or fun), and I'm impressed they didn't patch a glitch that circumvented some of those microtransactions (also something that probably ruined balance and/or fun), but...

Seriously, these used to be cheat codes. I don't fully mind allowing someone to pay to cheat in a singleplayer game, as ultimately it doesn't affect me at all, but it feels... dirty.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 09:14 xXBatmanXx

?

It will all go to F2P.
MMOs did it, these games will do it too.

The only game I did micro trans on was TF2 to check out how it worked. It is a scam. Period.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

3. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 09:08 Verno

It's a depressing world if this is true and not just Business Speak. They will just become more and more pervasive with the popular "its just biz" excuse whenever someone criticizes it or suggests that its compromising creative design. Dead Space is a great example of what happens to a franchise that is hijacked by profit margins.

Maybe we're all wrong, should EA really just need stick to sports titles and 10mil+ movers? Maybe that's best for everyone in the long run, I don't know. All I know is I'm kind of dreading what they have in store for the next Mirrors Edge, Dragon Age and Mass Effect games. Forced multiplayer, more DLC than actual game content (that day is coming) and so on.

"Dont like it, dont buy it" doesn't work if the industry can push itself to a large enough audience with marketing.

Also in before someone says this website hates EA yaddayadda

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

2. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 09:02 SpectralMeat

Of course they are. They are in business to make money. People did vote with their wallet, and they want moaaaar horse armor!
I guess that is the future of gaming. $50 will get you an empty disc everything else is DLC.

Steam: SpectralMeat

1. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 08:56 nin

EA All-in on Microtransactions "whatever you kids are into - please god, just buy something!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo