Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2: Flame and Frost - The Gathering Storm Launches

The Guild Wars 2 website announces the addition of new content with the release of The Gathering Storm, the second installment in the four-part Flame and Frost series of updates for ArenaNet's MMORPG. This page has an overview, while the new Game Update Notes have full details on what this adds. This is a fairly enormous patch, offering balance changes, bug fixes, and new features such as the first trial pass at their event scaling system, in addition to the new content. The patch also adds two-team rated PvP play, a new PvP map, the choice of daily achievements, and more.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Guild Wars 2: Flame and Frost - The Gathering Storm Launches Feb 27, 2013, 21:56 Red

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 18:05:
I'm sure I'm alone
I'm sure that's sarcasm. Obviously you're not alone. You want what most people think they want because every mainstream MMO except the original Ultima Online has delivered exactly that. Which is also the point. Some of us both enjoy horizontal games as well as have the ability to see that it is a superior design in the long run. And GW2 was supposed to prove that by giving not only that group an MMO worth playing, but everyone a refreshed perspective on fun.

And then they failed their manifesto. Failed their loyal fans. Failed to show the merits of horizontal progression. And failed the mindless vertical gamers too by doing such a bad copy of the established MMO strategy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Guild Wars 2: Flame and Frost - The Gathering Storm Launches Feb 27, 2013, 18:05 ColoradoHoudini

I find there to be no vertical progression, and no new challenges, and anything they offer has to cater to the .25 minutes every other week crowd that causes an uproar whenever there's content they don't have the time/skills to get to.

I stopped plying GW2 after the fractal came out and I ran through it a few times and saw the "upgrades" as meh or just weren't upgrades.

To me (and I'm sure I'm alone), this game needs to have more top end content and bigger epic content to tackle, with just rewards. I got my full exotic gear.. and some other fractal upgrades and realized I was done. That was months ago.. for an MMO, and for me (again, I'm sure I'm alone).. when there's nothing better to get, i'm done

14. Re: Guild Wars 2: Flame and Frost - The Gathering Storm Launches Feb 27, 2013, 17:19 Wallshadows

My friends were all set and ready to play their faces off again, started new characters and everything. Two days later, they can't be bothered to play it.

Sometimes I'm not quite satisfied with my friends when it comes to games because once one decides to not like it, the other will follow suite and abandon ship until something else catches their attention for a bit and do the same.

Rinse and repeat for the shepherd and his sheep.

13. Re: Guild Wars 2: Flame and Frost - The Gathering Storm Launches Feb 27, 2013, 17:13 Acleacius

sauron wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 16:18:
Apparently WvWvW loot drops are greatly increased, and drops from bosses are increased....
Just finished a dungeon run, loot still sucks. Not a single person in the group got an orange or yellow in 5 bosses.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

12. Re: Guild Wars 2: Flame and Frost - The Gathering Storm Launches Feb 27, 2013, 16:18 sauron

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 14:59:
They are getting slammed pretty hard in the forums. Not going over very well at all.
Devs are bunkered down and not responding.

I'm actually liking the changes in this patch a lot. Apparently WvWvW loot drops are greatly increased, and drops from bosses are increased. I never really enjoyed fractals and am happy they are now optional. I like being in the open world, and am doing world completion. And I like some vertical progression - just so long as it isn't ring-fenced such that only the hardcore have access to it.

For me GW2 succeeds on all fronts. Sorry some of the other posters don't agree. I do think the tone on the forums yesterday was pretty negative but today it seems to be better. Some things that initially looked restrictive look to have been balanced by increasing drop rates or progression in other areas.

Kittens!

11. Re: Guild Wars 2: Flame and Frost - The Gathering Storm Launches Feb 27, 2013, 14:59 Marvin T. Martian

They are getting slammed pretty hard in the forums. Not going over very well at all.
Devs are bunkered down and not responding.

10. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 27, 2013, 14:29 Fion

Endo wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 11:48:

#1 is horizontal loot progression promise and now we have vertical. And on top of that calendar controlled vertical with the laurels. Then they just added a gob of ectos to get your ascended earnings in addition to calendar controlled laurels. All from a customer that swore to hell and back that this game will not be vertical and not be a grind. There is a fair argument it' one of the grindiest now.

Since when were Laurals 'vertical progression'? They are a little bonus that lets you purchase some 'eh' items and fun stuff. And since when is progression vertical as a whole? Ascended gear is difficult to obtain and consists of only rings and necklaces that give you a 'tenths of a percentage' boost over anyone else. People were screaming on the forums for some way to improve their characters beyond the stat cap of Exotics. So Anet added one, a hard to obtain, pain in the ass with little real benefit, carrot. People are now getting lvl 80 exotics off lvl 1 mobs, so what are you complaining about?

Diminishing Returns. Does any other mmo even have such a thing? And if you do have it on you because you are working an area too much, why not an alert us if we are hitting it? It leaves you wondering... Am I being penalized now? Because loot is crazy stingy in this game.

I agree with this one. I feel it's the extenuating consequences of a flaw in the design.

Things like Fractals were introduced and the only place to get ascended items for months. Which meant a lot of people stopped open world venturing and all became stuck in an instance now going for the best items. Completely against their vision for GW2. Instance Wars 2!

Yea, it's not like GW1 had instances! Oh wait.. it was ALL INSTANCED.

Nov 15. All bosses REALLY will drop loot now... They didn't, not even close. They were called on it and wouldn't quickly fix it, nor even acknowledge. We'll have to see if yesterdays patch fixed that. We had a laugh when we read that as a group.

I rarely encountered this but I know it did happen, for example with the Karka event I'd have been pissed if the chest was empty. Lets hope it's actually fixed.

Open World vs Dungeon difficulty, can something vary more than that. One is brain dead easy, the other is we take all the baddies in the open world and multiply their HP's x25... So unfun, it's punishing. Very few %'wise can run dungeons at level. Most get their level 80's and then run lower leveled dungeons. Whoever deigned/balance these should be pink slipped.

This one I disagree with. I love how difficult the dungeons are (at least to start, things get easier with experience). I always hated how easy-mode WoW content was, even the later stuff was stupid easy and only took time because folks had to learn the new strategy/wait for the addons to update to make it easier for everyone. I used to go afk playing my hunter in WotLK, even when I wasn't afk I just stood there htiting my 3 macros in turn. Because WoW revolves around dungeons I found it mind-numbing doing the same dungeon that was boring as hell after the first time downing a boss and experiencing what was next.

First time I did AC I got so stomped, I loved it. These dungeons take strategy, timing and skill and with a good group or guild I've had more fun doing this games dungeons than any MMOG since the early days of Everquest. And the whole few % I don't know about that. There are always 50+ people hanging outside AC on the average evening on my server. I would say it might be smart to tone down AC Story, just because I've met so many people who get their asses handed to them doing that the first time and never did another dungeon run again.

Culling, the more they change it the more you want the original code. WvWvW, is anything ever going to happen with it?

Agree on culling, apparently it's fixed internally. Required a pretty hefty code re-write apparently. WvWvW patch is late march, and it's supposedly a big one.

Accumulating Jan/Feb and now Marches... They are supposed to equal the size of other games expansions. March is going to have to be a killer to live up to that whopper. I'm sure it will fizzle enough.

You are the first person I've 'met' who though the content releases for GW2 weren't at the top of the industry, sans perhaps Rift. The game has gained more content in 6 months than WoW does in 2 years, sans expansions (note: I don't count 'added 12 new dailies' as 'content')

The thing is I do like it, but it's sloppy, seemingly unorganized which was everything GW1 wasn't to me. That was tight from day 1.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2013, 14:40.

9. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 27, 2013, 13:50 Zadig

Endo wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 11:48:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 11:43:
Jivaro wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 11:24:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 11:02:
I like the game. But man Anet lost all good will they built up with me during GW1. To me it's like it's not even the same company anymore. They were bought once by NCSoft and their biggest shareholder is Nexon. It just doesn't feel right, the direction they took, to me they turned their backs on their own words too many time already. I cannot trust anything they say on their site, too much is just wrong as if they are clueless.

Can you give a few examples? I have always looked at Anet as perhaps the only sane part of that whole NCSoft family tree. Is there some specific situations you are referring to that I am (probably) oblivious of?

Many things in their manifesto (which I'm positive they'll never do again) have been broken.

#1 is horizontal loot progression promise and now we have vertical. And on top of that calendar controlled vertical with the laurels. Then they just added a gob of ectos to get your ascended earnings in addition to calendar controlled laurels. All from a customer that swore to hell and back that this game will not be vertical and not be a grind. There is a fair argument it' one of the grindiest now.

Diminishing Returns. Does any other mmo even have such a thing? And if you do have it on you because you are working an area too much, why not an alert us if we are hitting it? It leaves you wondering... Am I being penalized now? Because loot is crazy stingy in this game.

Things like Fractals were introduced and the only place to get ascended items for months. Which meant a lot of people stopped open world venturing and all became stuck in an instance now going for the best items. Completely against their vision for GW2. Instance Wars 2!

Nov 15. All bosses REALLY will drop loot now... They didn't, not even close. They were called on it and wouldn't quickly fix it, nor even acknowledge. We'll have to see if yesterdays patch fixed that. We had a laugh when we read that as a group.

Open World vs Dungeon difficulty, can something vary more than that. One is brain dead easy, the other is we take all the baddies in the open world and multiply their HP's x25... So unfun, it's punishing. Very few %'wise can run dungeons at level. Most get their level 80's and then run lower leveled dungeons. Whoever deigned/balance these should be pink slipped.

Culling, the more they change it the more you want the original code.

WvWvW, is anything ever going to happen with it?

Accumulating Jan/Feb and now Marches... They are supposed to equal the size of other games expansions. March is going to have to be a killer to live up to that whopper. I'm sure it will fizzle enough.

I hope that is enough to start with.

The thing is I do like it, but it's sloppy, seemingly unorganized which was everything GW1 wasn't to me. That was tight from day 1.
Yeah, all that and more. Coming from GW1, I was fairly disappointed with GW2 from day one. But I gutted it out, until it became obvious they were going to go with vertical progression on gear. I can forgive a lot of mistakes, but not that.

I quit and uninstalled.

I'm in the same boat. GW was successful because the intentional lack of leveling and treasure hunting meant the world could grow horizontally and wouldn't be filled with useless content. Never any embarrassing PVE ghost towns and PVP was actually fun and accessible for people with jobs.

As soon as I read they were going to raise the level cap to 80 for GW2 I realized they didn't understand their own success. I expected Funcom to screw up a horizontal world with The Secret World, but I'm surprised and disappointed that Arenanet did the same with their own sequel.

8. Re: Guild Wars 2: Flame and Frost - The Gathering Storm Launches Feb 27, 2013, 12:54 Cutter

sauron wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 10:21:
Verno wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 09:18:
Item preview in the Trading Post, finally. No clue why that took so long. That is a pretty massive update, I'll have to hop in tonight and see what's up. I've only been PVPing a few times a week lately.

They need to be faster with fixes in the future.

I still log in every night and am now halfway to a Legendary weapon plus have a bunch of Ascended gear. I really like the game and they seem to be adding a lot of content even before the first major expansion.

I think the longevity is going to be good, which is rather unfortunate since I have a long list of other games I also wanted to play but haven't even looked at yet because of GW2.

See, I - and many others - are the exact opposite. I'm too busy checking out too many other games to bother with GW2 for now.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

7. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 27, 2013, 11:48 Endo

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 11:43:
I like the game. But man Anet lost all good will they built up with me during GW1. To me it's like it's not even the same company anymore. They were bought once by NCSoft and their biggest shareholder is Nexon. It just doesn't feel right, the direction they took, to me they turned their backs on their own words too many time already. I cannot trust anything they say on their site, too much is just wrong as if they are clueless.

Can you give a few examples? I have always looked at Anet as perhaps the only sane part of that whole NCSoft family tree. Is there some specific situations you are referring to that I am (probably) oblivious of?

Many things in their manifesto (which I'm positive they'll never do again) have been broken.

Yeah, all that and more. Coming from GW1, I was fairly disappointed with GW2 from day one. But I gutted it out, until it became obvious they were going to go with vertical progression on gear. I can forgive a lot of mistakes, but not that.

I quit and uninstalled.

6. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 27, 2013, 11:43 HorrorScope

#1 is horizontal loot progression promise and now we have vertical. And on top of that calendar controlled vertical with the laurels. Then they just added a gob of ectos to get your ascended earnings in addition to calendar controlled laurels. All from a dev that swore to hell and back that this game will not be vertical and not be a grind. There is a fair argument it's one of the grindiest now.

Diminishing Returns. Does any other mmo even have such a thing? And if you do have it on you because you are working an area too much, why not alert us if we are hitting it? It leaves you wondering... Am I being penalized now? Because loot is crazy stingy in this game.

DE's and their lasting affects live up no where near the manifesto's hype.

That said, I still got my money's worth, but I guess I just wanted more. I wanted them to do as they say.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2013, 11:55.

5. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 27, 2013, 11:24 Jivaro

4. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 27, 2013, 11:02 HorrorScope

3. Re: Guild Wars 2: Flame and Frost - The Gathering Storm Launches Feb 27, 2013, 10:21 sauron

Item preview in the Trading Post, finally. No clue why that took so long. That is a pretty massive update, I'll have to hop in tonight and see what's up. I've only been PVPing a few times a week lately.

I still log in every night and am now halfway to a Legendary weapon plus have a bunch of Ascended gear. I really like the game and they seem to be adding a lot of content even before the first major expansion.

I think the longevity is going to be good, which is rather unfortunate since I have a long list of other games I also wanted to play but haven't even looked at yet because of GW2.

Kittens!

2. Re: Guild Wars 2: Flame and Frost - The Gathering Storm Launches Feb 27, 2013, 09:53 Acleacius

Item preview in the Trading Post, finally. No clue why that took so long.
Faint

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

1. Re: Guild Wars 2: Flame and Frost - The Gathering Storm Launches Feb 27, 2013, 09:18 Verno

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo