Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2013, 14:44 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 14:26:
Yes, the way most morons use the term is a complete and total fabrication.

So is most liberals view of reality and/or how economics actually work. But that generally doesn't stop them from spouting bullshit anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2013, 14:42 saluk

GoT season 3 about to start and six strikes in effect?

W00t, time to start pirating again o/

12. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 27, 2013, 14:29 mag

Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 11:02:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 10:34:
How many strikes do you have?

117. The funny thing about it is that

A) My ISP doesn't even bother joining in with it.
B) Even if they did, the proposed "throttled" speed would still be faster than my maximum speed anyway, so I still wouldn't notice anything.

Not that I download illegal stuff on my connection, because it just takes way too damn long.

Also, that Game of Thrones title is wrong. It really should be "Game of Thrones director realizes that illegal downloads don't matter."
It's not a claim, it's a simple fact.

Creston

I pirated GoT seasons 1 and 2 because it would cost me $100 to get HBO for a month. Pre-ordered both sets on Blu-Ray to atone for my sins, though. Quite well done.

11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2013, 14:26 Beamer

Yes, the way most morons use the term is a complete and total fabrication.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2013, 13:53 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 13:28:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 13:26:
Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 13:19:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 09:18:
ACLU Opposes Bill To Regulate Violent Video Games.

What a fucked up world we live in that the same organization also fought to take Christmas trees out of state buildings....

How is wanting to respect the Constitution by keeping church and state separate fucked up? If one thing goes than it all goes. Would you be opposed to Satanists putting up their version of the manger on the City Hall lawn? If you're really about liberty and its not just lip service than you have to respect it even if you don't agree with it.

Let's be honest it's politically incorrect to celebrate Christmas. Might offend someone. Because putting up a Christmas tree on state/town property is such a huge crime.

Such a huge necessity, too.

"Political correctness" is a bit of a myth. It's more often than not used by people to try to make themselves out to be the victims when being a dick.

I completely agree that christmas trees tend to be a bit of a non-issue, but I also think christmas trees are hardly a religious thing these days. I completely see non-christians why others feel it still is. And, let's be real, if there were muslim decorations we'd be dealing with Fox News whining about Creeping Sharia, as they always do.

Did..you just say political correctness is a myth? Really?

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2013, 13:28 Beamer

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 13:26:

What a fucked up world we live in that the same organization also fought to take Christmas trees out of state buildings....

How is wanting to respect the Constitution by keeping church and state separate fucked up? If one thing goes than it all goes. Would you be opposed to Satanists putting up their version of the manger on the City Hall lawn? If you're really about liberty and its not just lip service than you have to respect it even if you don't agree with it.

Let's be honest it's politically incorrect to celebrate Christmas. Might offend someone. Because putting up a Christmas tree on state/town property is such a huge crime.

Such a huge necessity, too.

"Political correctness" is a bit of a myth. It's more often than not used by people to try to make themselves out to be the victims when being a dick.

I completely agree that christmas trees tend to be a bit of a non-issue, but I also think christmas trees are hardly a religious thing these days. I completely see non-christians why others feel it still is. And, let's be real, if there were muslim decorations we'd be dealing with Fox News whining about Creeping Sharia, as they always do.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2013, 13:26 RollinThundr

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2013, 13:19 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2013, 12:31 Bodolza

The ACLU has consistently fought to keep government out of people's private lives. I always found it ironic that they get the most attacks from Republicans.  

5. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 27, 2013, 12:18 Creston

You will get an email from your ISP saying "you've been illegally downloading content! YOU ARE A BAD PERSON!"

It'll give you time and date and IP address, as well as the offending file in question, and it'll mention that this is your "first strike" (or 2nd or 3rd or whatever).

Apparently the emails are supposed to "increase in severity", whatever the fuck that means. The RIAA is somehow convinced that anyone is even going to bother reading these fucking emails.

There is an appeals process, but to file an appeal you:

A) have to pay 35 bucks.
B) have to PROVE that it wasn't you. Innocent until proven guilty? Not in today's US! The burden of proof falls on YOU.
C) said review goes to an "independent arbitrator." Lol. Yeah, it goes straight to some cuntjockey at the RIAA. Supposedly if you win your appeal, your 35 bucks will get refunded, but I can guarantee that there will never be a single appeals case won.

But shit, even so, after six strikes, they will "limit your download speed for a maximum of 72 hours."

After that? That's it. You will get no more emails, and they will basically ignore you. So this will do nothing to stop hardcore piracy, though admittedly that's not what it's aimed at. They believe that casual pirates will stop doing it when they realize someone is watching. Oooookay, because that's always worked so well in the past. Rolleyes

Ways to defeat it: a simple VPN. a Tor client. a torrent client that obfuscates your IP. Ip spoofing. Using someone else's open wifi (like Starbucks.)

Entire result of plan: Zero. Oh no, wait, it allowed our fucking government to waste more fucking money on stupid bullshit.

Creston

4. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 27, 2013, 11:48 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 11:02:

B) Even if they did, the proposed "throttled" speed would still be faster than my maximum speed anyway, so I still wouldn't notice anything.

Not that I download illegal stuff on my connection, because it just takes way too damn long.

Also, that Game of Thrones title is wrong. It really should be "Game of Thrones director realizes that illegal downloads don't matter."

Creston

I have two boys that dabble some, the one that does the most is moving out this summer. The other, very little and I'll stop that.

The question I have is: How are we alerted? Are we alerted? So if you get a strike do they let me the homeowner know so I can have a Brady family huddle to update everyone, break some fingers? I just don't have a clue how this thing is going to go down and because of that lack of info, I can see anything but this being totally wrong.

3. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 27, 2013, 11:02 Creston

Creston

2. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 27, 2013, 10:34 HorrorScope

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2013, 09:18 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo