Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2013, 11:44 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 11:30:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 11:22:
Mister Compromise? Verno, he's spent the last 5 years blaming Bush for every mistake he makes, and blames Congress for everything he can't pin on Bush. That's not in line with what I would call compromise.

I disagree entirely, I don't feel that's an accurate or unslanted look at the facts but you've made it pretty clear in the past how you feel about "barry" so I'm not going to sit here debating it with someone who refuses to listen and just wants to espouse their personal animosity.

There is plenty of stuff to lay at the current administrations feet without digging into that kind of crap.

Fair enough, and really I'm the first person to say I'm bias, it's obvious anyway I would think no?

Though I don't think it's too far off the mark in regards to the blame game, the consistent message this administration has given me, is anything good is due to Obama, anything bad is either Bush's fault or the GOP's fault. The budget one is the one that really burns me up though. At least 2 budgets submitted by congress, never got voted on because they never made it past Harry Reid's desk. So how is it the GOP's fault again?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2013, 11:30 Verno

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 11:22:
Mister Compromise? Verno, he's spent the last 5 years blaming Bush for every mistake he makes, and blames Congress for everything he can't pin on Bush. That's not in line with what I would call compromise.

I disagree entirely, I don't feel that's an accurate or unslanted look at the facts but you've made it pretty clear in the past how you feel about "barry" so I'm not going to sit here debating it with someone who refuses to listen and just wants to espouse their personal animosity.

There is plenty of stuff to lay at the current administrations feet without digging into that kind of crap.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

32. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2013, 11:22 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 11:07:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 10:52:
The worse of it all however is Obamacare, hooray for instituting a health care bill that will make everyone pay more for healthcare. Bang up job Barry!

I can't agree with this at all, universal health care in America was desperately needed and his health care package was pretty sensible and didn't destroy HMOs like they predicted. If anything it doesn't go far enough, I wanted him to gut the current system but realistically he couldn't accomplish that right now due to the make up of Congress.

I am quite happy paying taxes towards meaningful societal contributions that benefit everyone. Some things the government does well and the rest of the world gets by just fine with universal health care.

Obama is mister compromise, he spent most of his first term trying to do so. Our party wasted it thanks to influence from the tea party and we lost many many opportunities for change we wanted. Now the Dems are fed up and doing their own thing, I can't blame them. They've done plenty of dumb things in office but claiming health care and not reaching across the aisle are some of them is dishonest.

I wouldn't mind a universal health care bill that isn't going to cost us all more in the long run. With a public opt out option. Instead we got a bill rammed through congress that's unconstitutional imo but was allowed to stand by classifying it as a tax, rather than the abuse of the commerce clause that it actually is.

If you're going to do health care do it right.

Mister Compromise? Verno, he's spent the last 5 years blaming Bush for every mistake he makes, and blames Congress for everything he can't pin on Bush. That's not in line with what I would call compromise. That's not even in line with leading. You know the one thing he was elected to do.

Not that the GOP isn't also to blame with all the stonewalling they've done since he was first elected either. At the end of the day however, leaders are able to compromise and play nice with the other side. Obama has yet to do that and most likely won't.

31. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2013, 11:07 Verno

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 10:52:
The worse of it all however is Obamacare, hooray for instituting a health care bill that will make everyone pay more for healthcare. Bang up job Barry!

I can't agree with this at all, universal health care in America was desperately needed and his health care package was pretty sensible and didn't destroy HMOs like they predicted. If anything it doesn't go far enough, I wanted him to gut the current system but realistically he couldn't accomplish that right now due to the make up of Congress.

I am quite happy paying taxes towards meaningful societal contributions that benefit everyone. Some things the government does well and the rest of the world gets by just fine with universal health care.

Obama is mister compromise, he spent most of his first term trying to do so. Our party wasted it thanks to influence from the tea party and we lost many many opportunities for change we wanted. Now the Dems are fed up and doing their own thing, I can't blame them. They've done plenty of dumb things in office but claiming health care and not reaching across the aisle are some of them is dishonest.

30. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2013, 10:52 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 09:31:
Actually the blame for the housing crash was ultimately the Clinton administration's deregulation in regards banks to lending money. It happened on Bush's watch so of course he got the blame for it.

Republicans pushed and lobbied for it though, Clinton was a pretty right leaning Democrat in office which is part of why he toes the lines of both parties so well. It's one of the reasons I liked Clinton. Blaming it on all Clinton while ignoring where he was taking his cues from is silly. Many Republican principles in regards to how we pursue capitalism are outmoded and need to be revisited. The old models do not work, we can't keep treating people like numbers alone and using money as the end all motivator for society because it doesn't work.

Look at the UK under Thatcher when they tried the same thing. They even modeled all government agencies as a market and tried financial incentives, it doesn't work. People game the system for their own means.

Believe it or not I didn't hate Clinton. He worked with both sides of the isle and actually got shit accomplished. Whether that's credit due to Newt or Bill or both I don't honestly know but they did work to get both parties to agree on things.

Bush and Obama on the other hand are two peas in the same pod. Both terrible presidents, both created massive debt without many solutions.

Obama in my mind, bias as it is, took things one step further however by out right lying to the American people over and over with a straight face, (least transparent presidency in the history of the US, too many executive orders to count, and one cover up after another, aka fast and furious and Bhengazi) yet the uninformed masses still love good Ol Barry because they misconstrue his narcissism for confidence and fall for his slick speaking skills.

Obama is charismatic, unfortunately he doesn't have the ability to compromise and is the first person to throw temper tantrums and finger point when he doesn't get his way. For a president who chastised Bush for going to 2 wars, he's started another on his own without congress approval and has used Bush's timetable for our withdrawal from Iraq/Afghanistan while taking all the credit for it. Not leadership material imo.

29. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2013, 10:12 Beamer

Also, seriously, RollinThundr has to be home schooled.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2013, 10:11 Beamer

Clinton does deserve a lion's share of the housing crisis. No doubt.

Bush, of course, could have changed it. He didn't.

But, reaching back, the reason why we had a crisis in the first place is that a very small amount of salaries have skyrocketed while most haven't kept place with inflation.
Because Reagan believed in wealth redistribution. The problem is that when it goes from the many to the very few you end up with too few people able to spend enough money to keep the economy pumping. Or pay for those huge houses.

-------------

27. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2013, 09:31 Verno

Actually the blame for the housing crash was ultimately the Clinton administration's deregulation in regards banks to lending money. It happened on Bush's watch so of course he got the blame for it.

Republicans pushed and lobbied for it though, Clinton was a pretty right leaning Democrat in office which is part of why he toes the lines of both parties so well. It's one of the reasons I liked Clinton. Blaming it on all Clinton while ignoring where he was taking his cues from is silly. Many Republican principles in regards to how we pursue capitalism are outmoded and need to be revisited. The old models do not work, we can't keep treating people like numbers alone and using money as the end all motivator for society because it doesn't work.

Look at the UK under Thatcher when they tried the same thing. They even modeled all government agencies as a market and tried financial incentives, it doesn't work. People game the system for their own means.

26. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 28, 2013, 08:53 RollinThundr

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 07:51:
Beamer wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 07:24:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 19:00:
wealth redistribution.
Says the guy who is a die hard fan of the party responsible for the most wealth redistribution this country has ever seen?

Which, incidentally, put us in a massive economic downturn?

That is total bullshit. The issue that hit us was the housing crash, which led to the stock market crash, nothing more. I went from 150K ahead to 100k down on my house. We are still recovering from that. Now ultimately I blame the banks on that one, but if you had to blame the president during that period, then that would have to fall on a Republican. It is still not that long ago to remember what the current president inherited along with gridlock. Gridlock alone is a large enough problem.

I would say if all businesses paid the actual taxes they say they do, to the country/state they should be paying, things would be normal. To me that is the current issue, tax evasion, we aren't over taxed, in fact we are under taxed when the NET result is calculated. I have a company that continues to state publicly they pay a high 34% tax rate, but that is before all the write offs, when that is applied they pay a paltry 4%. So I see what they are doing there.

Then you have companies using Ireland to screw countries/states out of billions. Or some states that let you incorporate in them while their entire workforce is in another. This to me is the single biggest issue we have right now. Collect the money THEY SAY they are paying... and all the public needs will be satisfied and deficit reduced. But their goal is to bring the whole mother down so corporate gov't can take over, then they can rid the bill of rights, pay less and escape lawsuits and more. They are jelly of China. That is why for decades we wouldn't do business with a commi country because it would be selling out our own workforce, which means selling out ourselves. Surprise! But no, we let or ideals down, sleep with the enemy and now the rich should be richer and factory workers shall live there, with no rights at all. You get killed, sweep'em up, you are now a flesh robot.

Right now big business is sitting on more money then they ever have and it's chocking us. They say it is because of uncertainty, which I don't believe, there are always some uncertaintys, but when you have more money than ever, what's this new founded fear amongst the brave? I think it's more pouting because they aren't getting what they want and they are being dicks about it. This continues, we deserve to fail as a race.

And what the fuck is this Wealth Redistribution lie? I don't see wealthy becoming poor and poor becoming rich. Or is wealth redistribution the new politically correct way of saying "collecting a pay check?". Again it's pouting because they aren't getting everything they want right now and they need to sell fear. It's their only chance right now to get back in total power. Fear.

I agree with you Horror business' should be paying what they're supposed to. It's why I ignore anything Warren Buffet has to say about taxes since one of his companies owes billions in back taxes and his isn't the only one.

Though trying to put the blame solely on businesses not spending right now isn't totally fair. We haven't had a budget passed in the country for 5 years, it's still sitting on Harry Reid's desk you see while the democrats blame the republicans for it. If I'm a US business, and I'm watching a dysfunctional white house, senate, and congress bumble around the way they're all going, I would want to sit on my money too.

wealth redistribution.
Says the guy who is a die hard fan of the party responsible for the most wealth redistribution this country has ever seen?

No fan of Reagan should ever, ever claim wealth redistribution is a bad thing. That stupid fucking asshole changed it so that 1% of Americans had 19.5% of the wealth to 1% having over 40%.

And only idiots like you, far outside the 1%, defend this as a good thing. For every fucking dollar this country owns 1% of us owns 40 cents. And people wonder why our economy is shitty, but somehow they don't see this goddamn connection between earning power shrinkage and Reagan's wealth redistribution.

Fuck it, I should put you on ignore just for using that idiotic weasel term. But you're nothing aside from weasel terms. You CONSTANTLY discuss things both sides do but always use the terms your party favors even when they do it.

How about that Conservative group whining that Geico commercials promote bestiality? Where is RollinThundr to whine that they're too politically correct?

That's nice Beamer, atta boy, fall back on name calling. Hey go all out, call me racist and homophobic while you're at it. It wouldn't be the first time anyway. Seems I struck a nerve, humorous, though not suprising.

You apparently miss it often enough when I say both parties suck and both do and say stupid fucking things. However liberals and economics don't mix so I'm kinda forced to vote republican. Sorry cupcake.

25. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 28, 2013, 07:51 HorrorScope

wealth redistribution.

That is total bullshit. The issue that hit us was the housing crash, which led to the stock market crash, nothing more. I went from 150K ahead to 100k down on my house. We are still recovering from that. Now ultimately I blame the banks on that one, but if you had to blame the president during that period, then that would have to fall on a Republican. It is still not that long ago to remember what the current president inherited along with gridlock. Gridlock alone is a large enough problem.

I would say if all businesses paid the actual taxes they say they do, to the country/state they should be paying, things would be normal. To me that is the current issue, tax evasion, we aren't over taxed, in fact we are under taxed when the NET result is calculated. I have a company that continues to state publicly they pay a high 34% tax rate, but that is before all the write offs, when that is applied they pay a paltry 4%. So I see what they are doing there.

Then you have companies using Ireland to screw countries/states out of billions. Or some states that let you incorporate in them while their entire workforce is in another. This to me is the single biggest issue we have right now. Collect the money THEY SAY they are paying... and all the public needs will be satisfied and deficit reduced. But their goal is to bring the whole mother down so corporate gov't can take over, then they can rid the bill of rights, pay less and escape lawsuits and more. They are jelly of China. That is why for decades we wouldn't do business with a commi country because it would be selling out our own workforce, which means selling out ourselves. Surprise! But no, we let or ideals down, sleep with the enemy and now the rich should be richer and factory workers shall live there, with no rights at all. You get killed, sweep'em up, you are now a flesh robot.

Right now big business is sitting on more money then they ever have and it's chocking us. They say it is because of uncertainty, which I don't believe, there are always some uncertaintys, but when you have more money than ever, what's this new founded fear amongst the brave? I think it's more pouting because they aren't getting what they want and they are being dicks about it. This continues, we deserve to fail as a race.

And what the fuck is this Wealth Redistribution lie? I don't see wealthy becoming poor and poor becoming rich. Or is wealth redistribution the new politically correct way of saying "collecting a pay check?". Again it's pouting because they aren't getting everything they want right now and they need to sell fear. It's their only chance right now to get back in total power. Fear.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2013, 08:05.

24. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2013, 07:24 Beamer

wealth redistribution.

No fan of Reagan should ever, ever claim wealth redistribution is a bad thing. That stupid fucking asshole changed it so that 1% of Americans had 19.5% of the wealth to 1% having over 40%.

And only idiots like you, far outside the 1%, defend this as a good thing. For every fucking dollar this country owns 1% of us owns 40 cents. And people wonder why our economy is shitty, but somehow they don't see this goddamn connection between earning power shrinkage and Reagan's wealth redistribution.

Fuck it, I should put you on ignore just for using that idiotic weasel term. But you're nothing aside from weasel terms. You CONSTANTLY discuss things both sides do but always use the terms your party favors even when they do it.

How about that Conservative group whining that Geico commercials promote bestiality? Where is RollinThundr to whine that they're too politically correct?

-------------

23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2013, 07:06 Redmask

At least post your own thoughts instead of blind quoting other people.  

22. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2013, 05:08 mag

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 03:02:
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom."

"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."

"You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Our current problem in Minnesota - one of the nations welfare havens:
"When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for...that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation."

And most importantly:
"The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. "

Dude what?

21. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2013, 03:02 xXBatmanXx

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom."

"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."

"You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Our current problem in Minnesota - one of the nations welfare havens:
"When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for...that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation."

And most importantly:
"The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. "

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

20. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2013, 19:00 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 16:47:
Bodolza wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 16:22:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 13:26:
Let's be honest it's politically incorrect to celebrate Christmas.

I can't let this bullshit fly. Christmas is the most celebrated holiday by far in the U.S. Where I live, the majority of the houses will have Christmas lights up. It's impossible to go to any commercial area without being inundated with Christmas regalia. All media is filled with Christmas commercials. There's usually a slew of Christmas movies in the theater.

Talk about a disconnect from reality.

Like I said, the way people like him use it is a complete myth.
It's just an attempt to make themselves seem like victims. In their own heads they are the victims.

He, incidentally, also throws a lot of stones about understanding economics for a guy that has yet to demonstrate his own understanding. He equates managing the budget of a country to managing the budget of a household.

I think he thought Dave was a documentary rather than a surprisingly amusing movie.

Never saw Dave TBH. Every year around christmas you hear someone or some group usually bitching about some business or town or whatever putting up a christmas display. It happens every fucking year.

As for understanding economics, aren't you the guy that said debt doesn't matter and that it's perfectly fine that we are spending ourselves into oblivion? Or rob from Peter to pay Paul? I'm trying to remember but didn't you also say we don't have a spending issue in the US? When it's the biggest fucking issue we are facing.

Liberals think it has to "hurt" the big guy more than the little guy, because the big guy can take it... meanwhile conservatives ask "why does it have to HURT anyone? if one guy makes $100 and puts in $10 and one guy makes $100million and puts in $10 million, why the hell do you want to hurt him? He just put $10 million in towards your healthcare/infrastructure/what have you, he sure isnt gonna use all of it, you're gonna get the benefit of it, why do you want to hurt him?"

Basically its classic "little man" syndrome. They want to tear down the big man to make themselves feel bigger for having brought him down. Which is why they're so focused on class warfare and wealth redistribution.

19. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2013, 18:26 GayBlade

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 14:44:
Beamer wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 14:26:
Yes, the way most morons use the term is a complete and total fabrication.

So is most liberals view of reality and/or how economics actually work. But that generally doesn't stop them from spouting bullshit anyway.

Why is it that people who attack liberals always have the worst grammar?

18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2013, 17:43 Cutter

I can't let this bullshit fly. Christmas is the most celebrated holiday by far in the U.S. Where I live, the majority of the houses will have Christmas lights up. It's impossible to go to any commercial area without being inundated with Christmas regalia. All media is filled with Christmas commercials. There's usually a slew of Christmas movies in the theater.

Yes, we all know they live in their own little reality distortion fields. Some people wanting to make sure that State and Church remain separate as intended all of a sudden becomes on all out assault on conservative values by godless heathens. It'd be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2013, 16:47 Beamer

Like I said, the way people like him use it is a complete myth.
It's just an attempt to make themselves seem like victims. In their own heads they are the victims.

He, incidentally, also throws a lot of stones about understanding economics for a guy that has yet to demonstrate his own understanding. He equates managing the budget of a country to managing the budget of a household.

I think he thought Dave was a documentary rather than a surprisingly amusing movie.

-------------

16. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 27, 2013, 16:44 Julio

Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 12:18:
But shit, even so, after six strikes, they will "limit your download speed for a maximum of 72 hours." After that? That's it.

So it seems like the best strategy is to rack up seven strikes immediately then go on vacation for a few days. Maybe create your own copywrited content, download it yourself, then complain about your downloading it to prevent being sued.

15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2013, 16:22 Bodolza

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo