Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Arma 3 Alpha Next Week

Bohemia Interactive follows the news that Arma III will be a Steam exclusive with word that an alpha version of the military shooter will be released one week from today on March 5th. The post outlines a release schedule where a beta will be released in Q2 of this year, followed by the game's official launch in Q3, and says that those who purchase the initial alpha are also entitled to these subsequent releases. Those interested in trying the game without the upfront financial commitment will be pleased to know that the paid alpha will be followed a week later by a free Alpha Lite version with no multiplayer or modification support, though this will be invite only, available from friends who buy the game as well as website giveaways. The lite version will expire on June 15th, and does not include access to the beta or the full game. They offer three paid versions with various perks: A standard edition for 24.99 EUR/19.99 GBP/32.99 USD, a Digital Deluxe Edition for 39.99 EUR/34.99 GBP/49.99 USD, and an Arma 3 Supporter Edition for 69.99 EUR/59.99 GBP/91.99 USD. Here's word on what the alpha will offer:

Featured in the Arma 3 Alpha are four showcase missions (Infantry, Vehicles, SCUBA and Helicopter), a limited subset of weapons and vehicles, two multiplayer scenarios, the powerful scenario editor and modding support. The 20 km≤ island of Stratis, which is positioned right off the coast from Arma 3ís main destination ĎAltisí (270 km≤), will form the backdrop of the Arma 3 Alpha.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Mar 3, 2013, 00:49 Closed Betas

Krizzen wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 18:17:
I just gotta say, dual-marketing their engine to consumers and the government is just pure genius. However, claiming their military base research was 'for a game' didn't give them a free pass. Regardless, it's still really cool (and CPU destroying) tech.

Arma has been nothing but a game made off their simulation training program for military / police... Its simply taking the elements of the simulation and stripping off the tools and fat, and building a mission scenario around that... (and lately they have guessed, adding single player campaign will boost sales) not very polished and lame work won't help much there as shown... Their clunkiness, and poor choice of marine weapons taking out the (little bird) and fun options almost bankrupted the game side... They got smart and added that stuff back in for OA, but still went totally in the wrong direction

Has hardly made them any money, in fact, so very little, hardly many work on it... The fact they don't work on needed elements, (better docs for modders) and better models, interface work has almost put the company to rest, cept for the lucky mod that took the game to mainstream...

Bohemia makes its mountains of cash in training, not sales of the products.. To train a person in basics of the software, companies and militaries shell our $10,000's of dollars per pupil for visits to their little school sessions.. You'd barph at what the costs are for a 3 day session where they teach you how to run a mission in real time.. or perhaps stick a model into the simulation.. lol

I think they know that mod support is what they should be focusing on.. will steam interfere with this.. again i believe so... this company has taken lots of daggers and the team is getting old and boring... think this is their last hoopla.

shame, with the proper docs, and good server support, and modding help.. this game could be 10,000 games in one... but its just too clunky, to lost from its initial infantry combat, to now technical current combat air focus... adding in sea and current will just suck resources to the max, meaning poor ai and a worthless combat zone..

oh but don't worry, the zombies are now ragdoll physics, so kicking them around will be some fun..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Mar 3, 2013, 00:36 Closed Betas

Completely disagree, and i been around arma long enough to know the truth, most buy their copies off steam for reasons steam alone cause problems with their boot options.. making playing on modded servers a huge headache, and the utilties out there reak havoc with steam users to the point, people have to mod files by hand and get lucky if itll boot in the servers out there...

Steam is contradictory to Arma end users, plain and simple and the interview clearly says they are doing it for DRM reaons, because stand alone was'nt ready for a suitable option and obviously steam was an easy out

35. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Mar 1, 2013, 14:28 Verno

The Steam DRM isn't even good at this point by the way, I don't know why people think they would choose it for that alone. It's a known quantity in the pirate community, they have their own packed installers for Steam games and often have private server executables and etc.

If they were going to choose Steam for something, it wouldn't be for the DRM. Like Jerykk said, Steam is just very popular, accessible and has features desirable to the majority of their player base.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

34. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 23:20 Jerykk

Closed Betas wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 20:45:
The only reason they chose steam was for DRM, lets quit the BS...
They could have just skipped the DRM and any fan who would play it would buy it anyway. The company is not the brightest bunch on the planet, they truly don't know how they are starving themselves with their pompous attitude and behavior on their own forums. Basically shitting down their own customers throats thinking their on some mighty high horse, if you ever spend a day there reading anything.. . If it was not for the mass cult following of the zombie apocalypse fans and the simple fact the governments are funding the real work being done, this company would be belly up... Nothing truly impressive has come out, their laving their core focus "infantry combat" for years now... the new technology they think is what is their fanbase is far from it...

Only way Arma 3 will be a success is when they realize they are a sandbox and fix their documentation, help coders code their game and watch the entire world of pc gamers bookshelves have a license and a thrill to boot up

They chose to use Steamworks because Steam is by far the most popular digital distribution service in the world and people like the features that Steamworks provides. Also, there are many people who prefer to have all their games in one place and that place is usually Steam. At this point, not being a Steamworks game actually hurts your sales.

As for BI's success, I think they've done pretty well for themselves. They've been around for over 10 years, longer than most independent studios and have no doubt sold many units of the OFP and ArmA series.

33. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 20:45 Closed Betas

The only reason they chose steam was for DRM, lets quit the BS...
They could have just skipped the DRM and any fan who would play it would buy it anyway. The company is not the brightest bunch on the planet, they truly don't know how they are starving themselves with their pompous attitude and behavior on their own forums. Basically shitting down their own customers throats thinking their on some mighty high horse, if you ever spend a day there reading anything.. . If it was not for the mass cult following of the zombie apocalypse fans and the simple fact the governments are funding the real work being done, this company would be belly up... Nothing truly impressive has come out, their laving their core focus "infantry combat" for years now... the new technology they think is what is their fanbase is far from it...

Only way Arma 3 will be a success is when they realize they are a sandbox and fix their documentation, help coders code their game and watch the entire world of pc gamers bookshelves have a license and a thrill to boot up

32. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 19:42 Dmitri_M

Frags4Fun wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 08:45:
Did they really just say, "purchase the alpha"? LMAO!
They've been doing that for over a decade.

31. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 18:17 Krizzen

I just gotta say, dual-marketing their engine to consumers and the government is just pure genius. However, claiming their military base research was 'for a game' didn't give them a free pass. Regardless, it's still really cool (and CPU destroying) tech.  

30. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 14:37 SpectralMeat

Bhruic wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 13:34:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 12:29:
Your link doesn't say that, though. It just says that the game requires Steam, like any Steamworks game does. I'm pretty sure you'll still be able to buy Steam keys for the game from other distributors, like Amazon, GamersGate, GMG, etc.

It doesn't say that? Did you even bother to read it?

Not only is Arma 3 PC-exclusive, but now we have decided to make it Steam-exclusive as well.

I think you are confusing what Steam exclusive means.
If you read the article they are talking about what a pain it was to have different versions of the game for patching etc., so they will go Steam exclusive in a sense that the game is Steamworks title so you will not be able to play it anywhere else but on Steam.
I remeber the previous games had different versions (amazon.com download, retail DVD disc, Steam version, etc) With Arma3 there will be only Steam version which you can buy wherever you buy your games and you will receive a steam key, just like how it is with any other Steamworks title like Dishonored for example.

I personally have never seen a game that you could only purchase on Steam and obviously this one will not be any different as they say you can buy the boxed DVD version in the store, so I am sure you will be able to buy the digital download Steam key anywhere else as well, like Greenmangaming or amazon.

We will see when the game releases, not that it matters much.

Steam: SpectralMeat

29. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 13:34 Bhruic

Jerykk wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 12:29:
Your link doesn't say that, though. It just says that the game requires Steam, like any Steamworks game does. I'm pretty sure you'll still be able to buy Steam keys for the game from other distributors, like Amazon, GamersGate, GMG, etc.

It doesn't say that? Did you even bother to read it?

Not only is Arma 3 PC-exclusive, but now we have decided to make it Steam-exclusive as well.

28. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 12:29 Jerykk

Bhruic wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 11:52:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 09:13:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 04:39:
I'm pretty sure ArmA3 isn't going to be a Steam exclusive. It will use Steamworks but still be available for purchase from other digital distributors, just like every other Steamworks game.
So like Jerykk said you will be able to buy the game other places not just Steam but the game uses Steamworks so you will need Steam to run it.

No, he's incorrect. Yes, they will have physical boxes, but the link I posted states quite clearly that Steam will be the only digital distribution system they will be using.

27. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 12:00 SpectralMeat

Are there any games you can only buy on Steam?  

26. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 11:52 Bhruic

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 09:13:
I'm pretty sure ArmA3 isn't going to be a Steam exclusive. It will use Steamworks but still be available for purchase from other digital distributors, just like every other Steamworks game.
So like Jerykk said you will be able to buy the game other places not just Steam but the game uses Steamworks so you will need Steam to run it.

No, he's incorrect. Yes, they will have physical boxes, but the link I posted states quite clearly that Steam will be the only digital distribution system they will be using.

25. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 09:14 SpectralMeat

Frags4Fun wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 08:45:
Did they really just say, "purchase the alpha game and get into the alpha"?
Fixed it for you

24. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 09:13 SpectralMeat

Bhruic wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 07:34:

Did you miss http://www.bluesnews.com/s/139259/arma-iii-steam-exclusive ?

From your link:
Will I be able to buy a boxed copy of Arma 3?
a. There will be boxed copies in most regions. These may either be Steam Codes in a retail package, or also contain DVD data (speeding up installation). You will still have to run and update through Steam the first time.

23. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 08:45 Frags4Fun

Did they really just say, "purchase the alpha"? LMAO!  

22. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 07:34 Bhruic

Did you miss http://www.bluesnews.com/s/139259/arma-iii-steam-exclusive ?

21. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 04:39 Jerykk

20. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 03:51 Muscular Beaver

jdreyer wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 23:08:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 21:05:
SirKnight wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 21:00:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 20:53:
But damn, I really need a new computer, but Haswell is so close. Guess I have to wait till June...

What you really need is 3 GeForce Titans.

nah, I think my 660 will be enough. ArmA/OFP was never a huge GPU hogger. I was more thinking about getting a nice quad core Haswell and overclock it to 5 GHz. Oh yeah and a new SSD!

Arma 3 looks fairly graphically intense (although the 660 is a nice card). Not sure the Haswell will give you much of a performance boost, unless you're running something ancient.

As did ArmA 2 when it was released, and it still looks stunning today, when you crank up the view distance. Yet my GTX 260 was enough for quite some time and the game didnt get faster when I decreased graphics. However, when I overclocked my CPU to 3.8 GHz and later bought an SSD, both of those upgrades made a huge difference.

There were two DLC add-ons (PMC and British armed forces) for Arma 2 and one stand alone expansion (operation arrowhead). They've said that DayZ is going to be using an improved version of Arma 2 engine and not Arma 3 - maybe that will change but I doubt it.

There was also the Czech army DLC.

Now that I think of it, I would really like to get some printed maps. I am kinda disappointed that they dont offer them with even the supporter edition. Yet they offer printed maps of Chernarus, Takistan and others in their shop.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

19. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 01:37 DangerDog

Paranoid Jack wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 23:50:
Thanks for that link DangerDog, looks much better than I had hoped, I'm interested now.

edit: I'm thinking the deluxe or supporter edition but I don't like the fact that they are saying there may not even be any DLC or add-ons while they're pitching it as a bonus for buying their support edition. But if you look at all the add-ons for ArmA 2 they had much more than the original game and it looks as if they may have finally made it a lot less clunky. Not to mention DayZ (the stand alone) is probably going to release on the new engine.

There were two DLC add-ons (PMC and British armed forces) for Arma 2 and one stand alone expansion (operation arrowhead). They've said that DayZ is going to be using an improved version of Arma 2 engine and not Arma 3 - maybe that will change but I doubt it.

18. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 26, 2013, 23:54 Cutter

Good lord, I still have yet to fire up Arma 2 combined. How do I do it anyway? Just play th original then Arrowhead? Anyway, Arma 3 looks pretty swank so I'm looking forward to trying this alpha, particularly the SCUBA Steve mish!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo