Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Natural Selection 2 "Gorgeous" Update This Week

The Natural Selection 2 website announces Friday will see the release of build 240 of Natural Selection 2, an update for the action/strategy sequel that developer Unknown Worlds planned to release already, before deciding to do some additional polishing. The new version is unofficially titled "Gorgeous," as it includes graphics enhancements, but it also includes new content, which they proudly point out is neither an expansion nor DLC, but in their view, the "norm," saying: "These days, it is rare for PC games to receive ‘expansion’ style content updates for free. ‘Season Passes,’ ‘Map-Packs,’ and ‘DLC’ are the norm. We’re proud that Gorgeous is breaking the norm, and hope you’ll help us tell the world about it when it goes live!" Thanks IncGamers.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 27, 2013, 11:28 yuastnav

InBlack wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 05:50:
I bought it a month or so ago, still havent logged more than two hours with it. I like what I see but it feels very 'basic'. Cant find another word for it.
[...]

Shame because that game has a really steep skill kurve.

InBlack wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 05:50:
[...]
All the maps feel samey, and the gunplay is kind of weird. Its crap that I cant shoot and run for shit. If it featured a more run and gun gameplay ala Quake, Doom etc. (for the marine side at least) it would be more fun, as it feels like COD style shooting without the aiming options. I wish they would make up their mind.
[...]

Shooting without iron sight and then not being able to shoot while sprinting is actually not that uncommon. Oo
Shooting while sprinting would be rather stupid because you wouldn't be able to hit anything.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 27, 2013, 05:50 InBlack

I bought it a month or so ago, still havent logged more than two hours with it. I like what I see but it feels very 'basic'. Cant find another word for it.

All the maps feel samey, and the gunplay is kind of weird. Its crap that I cant shoot and run for shit. If it featured a more run and gun gameplay ala Quake, Doom etc. (for the marine side at least) it would be more fun, as it feels like COD style shooting without the aiming options. I wish they would make up their mind.

Im definitely eager to go back and try to play some more but right now cant get myself torn from Path of Exile...

I have a nifty blue line!

20. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 27, 2013, 02:09 Ant

This game would have been perfect with ALIENS franchise!

NS1 and 2 are good. I just wished I had more free time!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

19. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 19:42 jacobvandy

Well, "censored" could mean just replacing red blood textures with green ones and disabling any dismemberment of humans, which I don't think is in this game anyway.  

18. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 19:17 Linksil

As far as i'm aware there isn't a censored version. There's only one, i'm sure with such a small studio that if it was demanded to have a censored version you just wouldn't be able to buy it. A lot easier then wasting time redoing the game.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

17. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 19:08 shinchan0s

How are the server populations? I loved the first NS, just couldn't get around to getting this one yet (got Chivalry instead).  

16. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 19:01 jacobvandy

There were some bots for NS1 that came out after a while, but as already mentioned, the AI was pretty rudimentary. An AI commander would be all but impossible outside of scripting building placements, and the aliens aren't very challenging when they pretty much run straight at you trying to attack. Maybe NS2 modders will have better success with this more open engine and toolset.  

15. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 18:31 eRe4s3r

yuastnav wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 14:26:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 10:47:
[...]
And of course.. 128 players. And a 1:2 balance for Marines:Aliens ie. Aliens get twice as many players as marines. That way, you could build balance around that. And make huge swarms possible.... ;p

If you have such asymmetrical gameplay it is difficult to balance the game. Natural Selection was balanced for 6vs6 and basically everything beyond 8vs8 was a mess.
If you want something akin Battlefield 3 you would need to redesign large aspects of the game and the classes.

Yeah that's the downside But just because nobody ever did it doesn't mean it can't be done. But I am not seeing a developer do this anytime soon. Maybe next console iteration will change the playing field.. one can never know..

14. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 18:28 eRe4s3r

Sadly I have no money to spend on mystery support like that. But if they kickstarted it they would have me as backer Then again, I am not blind and well aware that a game like that would likely need 20m or something...  

13. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 17:58 |oR|jonvall

Love this game! It's the only game I play right now and I think the size of the maps are perfect.

For such a small studio that started with just a couple of guys I think they did an awesome job!

I don't know how it's not played by more people.

12. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 17:47 PHJF

Haven't played in a while. A couple months after release it was still running like absolute shit WITHOUT my maxing graphical options.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 16:48 yuastnav

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 12:38:
Anyone from germany here and knows if this will be a censored version if bought from Germany?

My version is not censored, as far as I know.
I did preorder it back in May of 2009 when preorders first opened up so I don't really know what the current situation is.

10. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 14:26 yuastnav

jdreyer wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 12:58:
I would buy this game if there were a single player component. Even just skirmish bot matches vs. the AI.

I doubt it'd be possible to make a decent Skulk/Lerk/Fade AI. (making a decent fade AI for the 3.0 or even 1.04 fade would be even more difficult).
Natural Selection was always about other people.

[...]
And of course.. 128 players. And a 1:2 balance for Marines:Aliens ie. Aliens get twice as many players as marines. That way, you could build balance around that. And make huge swarms possible.... ;p

If you have such asymmetrical gameplay it is difficult to balance the game. Natural Selection was balanced for 6vs6 and basically everything beyond 8vs8 was a mess.
If you want something akin Battlefield 3 you would need to redesign large aspects of the game and the classes.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2013, 14:36.

9. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 12:58 jdreyer

I would buy this game if there were a single player component. Even just skirmish bot matches vs. the AI.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 12:47 jacobvandy

Mhhh... I tried NS2. I wished it had large open world maps with several square miles of area, proper infestation simulation, large scale complexes and vehicles as well as world changing infestation stages. Until then.. BF3 it is....

My dream game is AVP1 mixed with NS2 mixed with BF3 proper alien infestation simulation on large scale areas with underground labs and surface structures. Huge alien infestations spreading out to the surface, changing the climate and light. Cutting power to buildings around and distorting radar. Add vehicles for the Marines, and huge overworld and underground aliens like worms or dragon like fliers...

Looking at NS2 just makes me sad. So much potential.. so little of it used.

If you want to see the conflict escalate to full-blown war, don't be a sad-sack and ignore this game... Tell all your friends to buy it and play with them, so they (Unknown Worlds) have more money for the next one. Frankly, it's a miracle they pulled off this sequel, they were in money trouble for so long. I don't know exactly what they were planning originally, but it may not have been so far off from your vision. AFAIK making it so similar to the first game/mod was a necessity, because they didn't have the budget for anything more.

7. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 12:42 Armengar

Echoing below. NS2 probably the main reason I have so many unplayed Christmas steam sale games. Loving it.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

6. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 12:38 Muscular Beaver

Anyone from germany here and knows if this will be a censored version if bought from Germany?  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

5. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 12:35 StaticRandomNumber

Nice, I love NS2, it is close to the feel of the original.

I actually prefer them not making it any bigger, when I join a 20+ players game, the balance seems to go out the window.

4. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 12:31 gtjwkq

I quite enjoy NS2 the way it is... even though I really like how ambitious your vision of how it could be better.

I'm really looking forward to this new release.

3. Re: Natural Selection 2 Feb 26, 2013, 12:16 ASeven

Still playing NS2 too. The most pure PC FPS to come out in a long while.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo