Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

AMD's Hair-Raising Tech

The AMD Game Blog an article on how AMD's graphics technology is being used in the Tomb Raider reboot to fix one the depiction of one of the most unrealistic physical characteristics of Lara Croft... her hair. They unveil "TressFX Hair," saying: "Croft is an iconic character with an equally iconic ponytail. Re-imagining Lara (and her haircut) for the 2013 release of Tomb Raider wasn’t just an opportunity to modernize the character, it was an opportunity to substantially advance in-game realism by tackling the long-standing challenge of unrealistic hair. Through painstaking collaboration between software developers at AMD and Crystal Dynamics, Tomb Raider proudly features the world’s first real-time hair rendering technology in a playable game: TressFX Hair."

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 27, 2013, 08:18 sauron

Cutter wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 11:34:
What about the FunbagsFX tech? That's much more important!

^This. We want FXtraJigglz technology!

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 20:01 siapnar

Well I saw the GT review and from how they portrayed the game it's a gory shoot em up.
I think the amount of blood looks very out of place in a Tomb Raider game. It's borderline horror flick

Still, I should check out more reviews, since you guys are saying there's more than meets the eye.

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 13:08:
WHen was the last time you played a Tomb Raider game?
Underworld, which seemed to be mostly tombing with some gunplay interspersed.

I have projectile dysfunction.

32. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 19:57 Eirikrautha

Creston wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 12:30:
KS wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 09:55:
She looks nothing like earlier Laras, and is not even pretty.

Really? Obviously tastes will differ, but I think she's quite beautiful (weirdness of her being a videogame character ignored).

I'd take her home over Angelina Jolie, that's for sure.

Creston

That's just because if you slipped on the run-up to Jolie, you'd disappear... inside... Hole

31. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 19:11 Rea1One

Thank god it works on all DX11 cards and not just AMD cards only.  

30. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 19:05 Cutter

Asmo wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 17:16:

I dunno, having accurate and dynamically animated pubic hair really adds to the immersion...

I know she spends lot of time in the wild but Lara never struck me as the catcher's mitt type. She's all brazilian all the time.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

29. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 19:04 Grifter

Nvidia revealed this like 3 years ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cECnvJeXXE8

28. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 18:45 KilrathiAce

Someone wrote blog incorrectly... it should of been AMD's graphics technology is being used in the Tomb Raider reboot to fix one the depiction of one of the most unrealistic physical characteristics of Lara Croft... her breasts. not hair  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

27. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 18:32 NegaDeath

Spektr wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 17:45:
Ok to be serious... this kind of "technological patch" has me wonder why Nvidia bothered purchasing PhysX at all. I mean what have they brought forward in term of graphical revolution with this purchase? Better capes in Batman Arkham City? Aww come on. Can't say that's the be all end all of modern graphics but it's been a while we were waiting for that graphical improvement to appear in games. ( I know I was at least :p) Reminds me when bump mapping normal mapping appeared in video games. It's starting to be a while already since we've seen that sweet candy appear. Since then developers have been quite content with the status quo it would seem. Actually it's been a while I've been waiting for a new improvement of this scope. I am betting this one will make babies and we'll see nice-looking hair in plenty of videogames soon. This is something which might have come up thanks to physx and that would have heralded an era of realistic hair fur grass leaves and cloth physix. This is a missed opportunity as something Nvidia has failed to cash on when they purchased PhysX.
An opportunity missed for the gaming community too because the games that come out today don't use all the power of the videocards and a success with pushing this technology could have brought with it more innovation. This might still be the case but I doubt this studio has the stature to bring it on all on its own.

The long console cycle has held back visual advancement of games. There are only so many advanced PC features you can bolt onto a game ported from an ancient platform. Its the same reason DX10/11 support has been so stagnant. The new Sony/MS consoles should help get things moving again. And the few PC specific titles can push things too, the demo videos for Star Citizen for example look fantastic (note the "demo" part *coughColonialMarinescough*).

26. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 18:23 Creston

Asmo wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 17:16:

I dunno, having accurate and dynamically animated pubic hair really adds to the immersion...

Anyone for some hot coffee?

Creston

25. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 17:45 Spektr

jdreyer wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 13:03:
It's weird, he features look half-Asian, half Caucasian. I wonder if that's to appeal to a broader, more international audience?

Personally, I kind of like the new look.

hmm I don't know, asians do appeal to the part of the caucasian audience that is me :p As do caucasians and half asians too to be honest :p

Ok to be serious... this kind of "technological patch" has me wonder why Nvidia bothered purchasing PhysX at all. I mean what have they brought forward in term of graphical revolution with this purchase? Better capes in Batman Arkham City? Aww come on. Can't say that's the be all end all of modern graphics but it's been a while we were waiting for that graphical improvement to appear in games. ( I know I was at least :p) Reminds me when bump mapping normal mapping appeared in video games. It's starting to be a while already since we've seen that sweet candy appear. Since then developers have been quite content with the status quo it would seem. Actually it's been a while I've been waiting for a new improvement of this scope. I am betting this one will make babies and we'll see nice-looking hair in plenty of videogames soon. This is something which might have come up thanks to physx and that would have heralded an era of realistic hair fur grass leaves and cloth physix. This is a missed opportunity as something Nvidia has failed to cash on when they purchased PhysX.
An opportunity missed for the gaming community too because the games that come out today don't use all the power of the videocards and a success with pushing this technology could have brought with it more innovation. This might still be the case but I doubt this studio has the stature to bring it on all on its own.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2013, 17:51.

24. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 17:35 Sho

So basically you're saying we can all stop shaving now because nude modders can finally go to town on adding pubic hair, so reality and mods remain in sync?  

23. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 17:16 Asmo

22. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 15:03 jdreyer

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 14:47:
The Tress FX hair does look better. I wish Skyrim had it - along with deformable cloaks.

On the other hand, graphics technology has now come to a point where I can't really tell much difference when I'm not paying attention. If they hadn't made a deal out of pointing out the hair, I probably wouldn't have noticed it or thought about it.

That's kind of the point, though. When it works right you don't notice it, because it doesn't break the immersion.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

21. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 14:47 Silicon Avatar

The Tress FX hair does look better. I wish Skyrim had it - along with deformable cloaks.

On the other hand, graphics technology has now come to a point where I can't really tell much difference when I'm not paying attention. If they hadn't made a deal out of pointing out the hair, I probably wouldn't have noticed it or thought about it.

20. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 14:23 noman

Fantaz wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 14:14:
does this work on Nvidia tech?

Yes, it works very well on GTX680 and supposedly the lower tier cards as well.

19. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 14:21 noman

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 12:10:
It's going to be platform agnostic. It's written in DirectCompute, which is a agnostic api in Windows Vista, 7, 8 any DX11 card can run it.

Of course, that doesn't mean AMD won't deadlock it.. but that could be easily hacked...

There's no need for any hacks, as this engine runs on DX11 and the performance would be based on good the cards are in DirectCompute. nVidia's 680 though a bit lacking in compute (relative to its great rendering performance) should still be able to handle this without any issues. ATI cards would hold the edge as 7850, 7870, 7950 and 7970 are all better in compute than their counterparts, but 670s and 660s should be fine too.

Of course ATI must have optimized the direct-compute routines to match their architecture, but it's still entirely different than locking out competing products through API (GPU physx) or exclusive in-game settings (AA in Batman Arkham Asylum).

It's great that ATI/AMD didn't go the hardware-locked path.

18. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 14:15 TangledThorns

siapnar wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 12:33:
The new game looks far too action-oriented and overly violent to be called Tomb Raider

Yeah, I saw that in Gametrailers. Still, the reviews have been really good so far.

17. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 14:14 Fantaz

does this work on Nvidia tech?  

16. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 13:12 PropheT

wtf_man wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 10:06:
So, this is what they're concentrating on? Hair?

Sorry, I don't need Movie CG quality hair in my games to be immersed. I'd rather see a much higher quality FXAA (like TXAA) that works on any game engine without developers having to code anything, especially for the cruddy ports that don't have any AA options. Set it once in the drivers, and forget it. FXAA injection helps some... but it's still crap for the most part.

It's stuff like this that moves things forward, whether it's a plugin like Havok or SpeedTree or TressFX...it's things like this that start showing up in various games over time that make them more lifelike.

FXAA injection is just putting FXAA post processing effects where they weren't in the first place, so it's entirely dependent on the game whether or not this is even an issue. It's not the sort of thing you could just turn on in the drivers, it already is... if the software you're running supports what the drivers do.

And in this particular case, it might be worth pointing out that the PC version of Tomb Raider does have graphics options that aren't in the console counterparts (they've said increased tesselation, post-filter effects like what you're talking about so an injector wouldn't be necessary anyway, and so on). I'd also be more than willing to bet that people will notice a persistent physics effect in a game well before they'll differentiate between various post-processing methods in use in the graphics engine as long as it looks good either way.

15. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 13:08 Agent.X7

siapnar wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 12:33:
The new game looks far too action-oriented and overly violent to be called Tomb Raider

WHen was the last time you played a Tomb Raider game?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo