Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 26, 2013, 12:07 Verno

That's not very different from how it is now though if you think about it. The publishers are loathe to ship singleplayer games, are posting ever increasing amounts of DLC per title and do the whole gamepass crap with used games. If Microsoft and Sony just let the market decide then I do think people will punish the publishers for it somehow. We're in a downed economy, now isn't the time to be pushing $70 game standards and getting pissy with customers about rentals/used games. People have a lot of distractions available these days, STB consoles aren't the only game in town anymore. Shit I got more use out of a DS than my 360 this gen.

Someone mentioned Netflix on the 360 earlier, did they remove that from the paywall? I sold my 360 but my recollection was that it always required a gold sub which struck me as stupid considering Sony lets you have it for free.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Xbox 720 could block used software, says Eidos president. Feb 26, 2013, 11:47 Cutter

Dagnamit wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 10:10:
If Sony says they won't, then Microsoft can't block used games. It would be an insta-loss, Sony wins, the end. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sony hasn't said they won't either. That answer they gave a few days ago was evasive as hell. They may not, but it doesn't mean they won't allow the publishers to do it. And it doesn't mean they won't watermark games in some manner either.

If MS is dumb enough to do this than it's over before it began. And it probably is for a lot of people anyway given the online and Kinect being required. I know that alone would prohibit a purchase from me automatically.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 26, 2013, 11:33 space admiral

Creston wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 10:55:
Blizzard to PC gamers: FUCK YOU.

But hey, keep buying their games, guys. Good job.

Creston

slaves are not free to do as they wish

rather simple, really

thats why they are always singing the BLUES

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 26, 2013, 11:16 Creston

As for the Xbox thing, if Sony isn't going to do it, then Microsoft would be the dumbest tools on the planet to do it. (then again, we ARE talking about Ballmer, so who knows. He's sure fucking dumb enough to do it.)

The publishers may all collectively jizz themselves at the thought, but that happiness will vanish rather quickly when they see that nobody is buying the console.

(a not-often mentioned side effect of blocking used software is that the entire game rental business would vanish as well. How many copies of new games do you think Gameflix buys? Half a million? A million? Watch publishers squeal when those disappear too.)

Creston

10. Re: Xbox 720 could block used software, says Eidos president. Feb 26, 2013, 10:59 nin

Silvanus wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 10:41:
If this means I can play my games WITHOUT having the disk in the drive. I am all for it..

_silvanus

It would be neat if a purchase came with a one time code, where you could register it to your account and then download/play it at any time, w/o media. You could even bring your games to a friends house, as long as your account was logged into the console.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 26, 2013, 10:55 Creston

Blizzard to PC gamers: FUCK YOU.

But hey, keep buying their games, guys. Good job.

Creston

8. Re: Xbox 720 could block used software, says Eidos president. Feb 26, 2013, 10:41 Silvanus

If this means I can play my games WITHOUT having the disk in the drive. I am all for it..

_silvanus

7. Re: Xbox 720 could block used software, says Eidos president. Feb 26, 2013, 10:27 SirKnight

nin wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 10:00:
SirKnight wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 09:58:
And I will block the purchase of an Xbox 720. Good going MS.

MS -1, Sony +1.

Considering nothings been announced, you're jumping the gun a bit. Not that I wouldn't put it past them.

That may be, but I figure the president of Edios would probably know quite a bit about what MS is doing with the 720. It would be different if one of those speculating analysts said this. They are not in a position to truly know jack, they just make shit up.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 26, 2013, 10:26 wtf_man

Well... I'd certainly be leaning more towards a PS4 than an XBox 720.

Especially if MS comes up with something ridiculous like you need an XBox Live Subscription in order to use a Netflix app (which is a rumor that I have heard due to needing the 24/7 Internet connection... all the non gaming apps are tied to the XBox subscription)

5. Re: Xbox 720 could block used software, says Eidos president. Feb 26, 2013, 10:13 Verno

Dagnamit wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 10:10:
If Sony says they won't, then Microsoft can't block used games. It would be an insta-loss, Sony wins, the end. I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh I think you'd be surprised the power that marketing and cheevos wields with many people.

4. Re: Xbox 720 could block used software, says Eidos president. Feb 26, 2013, 10:10 Dagnamit

3. Re: Xbox 720 could block used software, says Eidos president. Feb 26, 2013, 10:00 nin

SirKnight wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 09:58:

MS -1, Sony +1.

Considering nothings been announced, you're jumping the gun a bit. Not that I wouldn't put it past them.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Xbox 720 could block used software, says Eidos president. Feb 26, 2013, 09:58 SirKnight

MS -1, Sony +1.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 26, 2013, 09:53 Verno

Diablo 3 will not require Internet connection on PS3, PS4.

Of course. All of Blizzards reasons about why the game requires a persistent internet connection turned out to be complete hogwash, "The game was designed to be played online only, we can't just make an offline patch". Whoops. Who could've imagined? Wait, most of those "negative" users who correctly called this out. It was an obvious farce to all but the most brand blinded zealot long ago.

It's a smart business move for Blizzard, hedge your bets in case there has been actual brand damage done in the PC market. It's a real middle finger to their fans though, development of the PC version will now be slowed by console certification and release problems.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo