Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 27, 2013, 08:54 RollinThundr

LittleMe wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 12:32:
Cutter wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 12:00:
Wow, those assholes at Cisco must be laughing all the way to the bank.

And what about the assholes at the federal and state governments who made it all happen? This is the sort of idiocy that happens when politics dictates the deployment of Internet service. Yet time and time again I see well intended people online insisting the feds take over the Internet. What a nightmare that would be.

Now we see a small glimpse of the lunacy that was President Obama's initial stimulus package in 2009. It wasn't actual, real, stimulus.

Which is why I laugh and roll my eyes when folks like Beamer and Cutter argue that government should be bigger and control more. Because we all know how pretty much ineffective Gov is at anything aside from wasting money.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 26, 2013, 14:35 Cutter

When it comes to public tenders there should be automatic clawbacks and penalties factored in to prohibit this sort of nonsense in the first place. No real bidding process? Fine the company, fire the bureaucrat who got bought off. Abusing taxpayers like this should automatically result the company paying back the difference of what it would have actually cost.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 26, 2013, 13:16 jdreyer

Why a one-room West Virginia library runs a $20,000 Cisco router.
Maybe it's a really, really, big room?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 26, 2013, 13:13 Creston

I love how Ars Technica now simply repeats its own articles. It already had an article about this insanity in West-Virginia well over a year ago.

I guess remembering your own content is difficult.

Creston

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 26, 2013, 12:40 Bodolza

As someone with some experience in both government, and network design, I don't see anything particularly nefarious. To me, it looks like a witch hunt by people who don't understand the technology.

Preferring a single vendor for your network equipment is standard operating practice. Requiring dual power supplies is also perfectly normal.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 26, 2013, 12:36 NegaDeath

Incompetent government officials + shady salesman + big government check = boondoggle. Its a universal constant.  

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 26, 2013, 12:32 LittleMe

Cutter wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 12:00:

And what about the assholes at the federal and state governments who made it all happen? This is the sort of idiocy that happens when politics dictates the deployment of Internet service. Yet time and time again I see well intended people online insisting the feds take over the Internet. What a nightmare that would be.

Now we see a small glimpse of the lunacy that was President Obama's initial stimulus package in 2009. It wasn't actual, real, stimulus.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 26, 2013, 12:00 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo