Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play

A post to the Diablo III forums by Blizzard community manager Vaeflare confirms presumptions that the recently announced version of Diablo III for the recently announced PlayStation 4 will not have any sort of cross-platform operability with the Windows edition of the action/RPG sequel:

While we think cross-platform play would be awesome, there are currently no plans to allow connectivity between PlayStation Network and Battle.net (this is pretty standard for most games that have PC and console support). As a result, the characters on your Battle.net account and PlayStation account will also remain separate.

In terms of allowing an analog controller hookup for the PC, we donít have any plans for that kind of support right now. Similarly, since Diablo III for console was designed with a controller in mind, the PlayStation version of Diablo III will not support USB mice or keyboards.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 27, 2013, 03:29 KilrathiAce

Sempai wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 05:01:
KilrathiAce wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 02:44:
Sony just scared to have their console players get pwned by PC lols

Dude, just stop..You make the PC adults look bad.

Its quite true in the general why you dont see console games and pc have compatible multiplayer, MS basically stated this while back when it came to games on gfwl.... so yea

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 11:43 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 11:36:
I played it from release and never considered it to be dumbed down by consoles. Considerations were made for controller but controllers are an important part of modern PC game design, much in the same way that joysticks used to be. The reality is that most interfaces are poor, regardless of whether a game is released on console or not - TW2 interface was a HUGE improvement over the PC-only original game; the STALKER interface was terrible, etc. I dislike consoles because I think they offer a poor experience and terrible visual quality in comparison to PC but I don't blame them for everything wrong with PC gaming like some people around here do.

I played it too and I opened my inventory a lot which wasn't fun with a mouse and keyboard because it designed for gamepads. Regardless that's really a different argument though. People are talking about not just controller considerations but game mechanics potentially being affected which I think is a fair consideration.

As for accommodating gamepads on the PC, I don't see anything wrong with it per se but I think you can't compromise the primary input of the target platform too much in the process. Thankfully some devs have recognized there are pros and cons to both approaches and accommodate it properly in design rather than trying to "fix" it in post which is what happens too often.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

35. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 11:36 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 11:24:
It really depends on the game obviously. To use one of your examples though, I guess you don't remember the release user interface in The Witcher 2 which was very poorly designed to accommodate gamepads (console or otherwise).
I played it from release and never considered it to be dumbed down by consoles. Considerations were made for controller but controllers are an important part of modern PC game design, much in the same way that joysticks used to be. The reality is that most interfaces are poor, regardless of whether a game is released on console or not - TW2 interface was a HUGE improvement over the PC-only original game; the STALKER interface was terrible, etc. I dislike consoles because I think they offer a poor experience and terrible visual quality in comparison to PC but I don't blame them for everything wrong with PC gaming like some people around here do.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

34. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 11:24 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 10:49:
The Starter Edition (demo) gives you a good indication of what the game's like and if you can't determine whether you like the game or not from that then perhaps "idiot" is the appropriate term.

There is a huge difference between Act 1 Normal and Act 3 Inferno for example. The base gameplay doesn't always tell the full story. This is pretty obvious even as many people judged the game early based on the first act and were let down by the finished product. Many people expect Diablo games to "start" after the first difficulty even, the replay value is part of its pedigree. To Blizzards credit however, they were offering full refunds for the first 90 days so I don't think people can play the "rip off" card.

I disagree. In comparison to games like Torchlight 1 & 2 it as much greater longevity, even though I like those games. The trouble was that people had built up unreasonable expectations and then all turned on the game because of the required internet connection.

You're welcome to your opinion but I disagree. You're playing revisionist history here, people "turned" on the game for many reasons, not simply because of the persistent connection requirement (its sales are a testament to that even). People had pretty fair expectations given the development time, the brand in question and a previous product to base it on. I don't know why you keep making comparisons to Torchlight games either, that's a straw man. They are games made by a 30 person company, not a 300+ development team with unlimited time and resources. They are in the same genre but not really in the same league.

I do. It's the same bullshit we hear every time. Torchlight 2 wasn't developed around consoles but it didn't have the same longevity or depth as D3 - it's still a great game in its own right, better in some aspects, but consoles had no basis in its shortcomings.

It's really not the same bullshit though, peoples problems with Diablo 3 were myriad and many design decisions were puzzling. It's not really unreasonable to look back in retrospect and wonder if the console port affected some of them, if anything it's more reasonable to consider all variables than to dismiss them outright. To act like they developed the console port in a vacuum isn't realistic, obviously concessions were made considering the technical limitations of consoles, what impact they had is up for debate.

Consoles do have a negative impact on a lot of games but not on games where the PC is the primary platform (Diablo 3, Team Fortress 2, The Witcher 2). People said the same bullshit about The Witcher 2 because it supported controllers, when that is something expected of a modern game.

It really depends on the game obviously. To use one of your examples though, I guess you don't remember the release user interface in The Witcher 2 which was very poorly designed to accommodate gamepads (console or otherwise).

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2013, 11:35.

33. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 10:49 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 10:20:
There's really no need for the immature name calling. The beta test and demo were very limited, many people felt one way about one and ended up feeling different about the released product. People had high expectations for a product a decade in the making, some emotion is to be expected.
The Starter Edition (demo) gives you a good indication of what the game's like and if you can't determine whether you like the game or not from that then perhaps "idiot" is the appropriate term.

My theory is that the game is fun initially but peaks quickly then there is little depth and people get frustrated. It also doesn't bring much new to the table and cuts down on a lot of complexity that people enjoyed in the previous titles.
I disagree. In comparison to games like Torchlight 1 & 2 it as much greater longevity, even though I like those games. The trouble was that people had built up unreasonable expectations and then all turned on the game because of the required internet connection.

I don't think it's honest to say they designed it "around" being a console game but likewise I think it's dishonest to claim the game wasn't affected by the need for an eventual console release.
I do. It's the same bullshit we hear every time. Torchlight 2 wasn't developed around consoles but it didn't have the same longevity or depth as D3 - it's still a great game in its own right, better in some aspects, but consoles had no basis in its shortcomings.

Consoles do have a negative impact on a lot of games but not on games where the PC is the primary platform (Diablo 3, Team Fortress 2, The Witcher 2). People said the same bullshit about The Witcher 2 because it supported controllers, when that is something expected of a modern game.

32. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 10:28 deqer

"there are currently no plans"
"we don't have any plans"

We already knew that, fucktards.

31. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 10:20 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 09:40:
[Then you're officially an idiot, as there was a beta test and a demo for people to try. There was no excuse for buying a game you were unsure about. As for the game always being designed around console, that's utter nonsense.

There's really no need for the immature name calling. The beta test and demo were very limited, many people felt one way about one and ended up feeling different about the released product. People had high expectations for a product a decade in the making, some emotion is to be expected.

but I don't understand why it's so popular to hate on it. It's fun, whether you're playing co-op with friends or simply pubbing it; it's constantly updated; it's challenging; the loot constantly has you looking for new gear, etc. I put in about 70hrs into the game and very much enjoyed it. I haven't played it for months but I probably will go back to it, maybe when they release an expansion for it.

My theory is that the game is fun initially but peaks quickly then there is little depth and people get frustrated. It also doesn't bring much new to the table and cuts down on a lot of complexity that people enjoyed in the previous titles. It's also not difficult to see some console concessions in the game, for example the skill selection coincides perfectly with the available inputs on a gamepad. There are quite a few puzzling design decisions that were either simply mistakes or concessions.

I don't think it's honest to say they designed it "around" being a console game but likewise I think it's dishonest to claim the game wasn't affected by the need for an eventual console release.

30. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 09:40 theyarecomingforyou

ochentay4 wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 21:50:
I started to think that one more reason that Diablo 3 sucks so hard on PC is because Blizzard always wanted to port the game to any console, and as we all know, any game for console has many restrictions, like GRAPHICS for example, which are totally dissapointing in Diablo.

This game is the worst I played since a long time, and I'm sad cause I payed 60 hard earned bucks on it.
Then you're officially an idiot, as there was a beta test and a demo for people to try. There was no excuse for buying a game you were unsure about. As for the game always being designed around console, that's utter nonsense.

The game certainly had its faults (like the auction house and in-game economy) and there were connectivity issues around launch but I don't understand why it's so popular to hate on it. It's fun, whether you're playing co-op with friends or simply pubbing it; it's constantly updated; it's challenging; the loot constantly has you looking for new gear, etc. I put in about 70hrs into the game and very much enjoyed it. I haven't played it for months but I probably will go back to it, maybe when they release an expansion for it.

29. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 09:38 KS

ExGemini wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 20:28:
killer_roach wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 20:26:
PHJF wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 20:13:
Heaven knows Acti-Blizzard don't have the kind of resources Valve was able to muster in making Portal 2 function across platforms...

Most console games don't cross-play with PC because they're designed with the 360 in mind, and Microsoft doesn't let anyone in and out of their walled garden (without paying for the privilege, and that's one way only). No such restriction on the PS3.

If anything, this might be a case where PC-console cross-platform play got scuttled from the PC end. After all, Blizzard doesn't want anything getting into their precious...

Also do not forget that they cannot balance out the game with a pad on console and the game on a pc with keyboard, mouse, macro and all the rest.
There will be a gazilion people crying cause the pc guys do better and all.

This is impetus to disallow keyboards even on consoles -- suppose a handful use them, and destroy the controller-bound hoi polloi, who give up and go away reporting how terrible the game is. You would need segregated battlegrounds even on the same box, from a corporate strategy point of view.

28. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 09:01 Verno

The segregation is an excuse for why the PC version will get no offline mode and etc, "they're different".  

27. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 07:16 Beamer

yuastnav wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 06:02:

It is not an unreasonable assumption though.

But it is a moronic way to phrase it.
Like, completely moronic.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 07:06 panbient

InBlack wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 03:14:
This! Plus I think they are counting on a lot of people, sorry 'people' is the wrong word here im thinking of that subhuman category: fanbois actually, to buy the game AGAIN for their consoles. Which would typically fit fanbois of all denominations.

I'm certainly no fanboi, I see the obvious cash grab for what it is, I recognize the base D3 game as a 60 step tutorial (err LEVELS!) for the variety of predetermined skills.

But... until I read this

"As a result, the characters on your Battle.net account and PlayStation account will also remain separate."

I was planning on getting a 2nd copy because for me, D3 is more of a living room game, something that seems like it would be more fun with a few friends on the couch and a couple of drinks on the coffee table. But if I can't carry over my existing characters I don't see a reason to buy it again and start grinding from scratch, so I won't (besides I still have a copy of Sacred 2 for a console grinding fix).

25. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 06:44 Bhruic

yuastnav wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 06:02:

It's not? In a game for which they've barely got any PvP at all? What "pwning" is going to go on in a primarily coop game?

24. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 06:02 yuastnav

23. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 05:01 Sempai

22. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 03:37 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

Absolute horse shite.
It's so they can sell it to mugs twice. Diablo 3 for PC does look like it was designed for a console so thats a complete strawman of an arguement. Also Dust 514 links PSN and the PC so it's not like it hasn't been done before.

PMB / Shodan
http:/www.futilez

21. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 03:14 InBlack

Blackhawk wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 22:09:
Stop with the conspiracy theories.

There is no cross play for the same reason that there is no cross-play with most competitive games (especially those where you're spending real cash: It is impossible for a console player to remain competitive with a PC player. I can program my keyboard with complex inputs that would twist someone's thumbs into a pretzel if they tried it on a controller.

A keyboard/mouse can provide more input more quickly and precisely than a controller.

This! Plus I think they are counting on a lot of people, sorry 'people' is the wrong word here im thinking of that subhuman category: fanbois actually, to buy the game AGAIN for their consoles. Which would typically fit fanbois of all denominations.

I have a nifty blue line!

20. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 02:44 KilrathiAce

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

19. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 00:37 Sempai

I have no idea why it bothers you if someone wants to use a controller for their PC. I thought a big part of PC gaming was that you had options.

Funny enough, you seem all for it on the PS3/4.

Agreed 100%, I play many games on my rig with a wired xbox controller, not a damned thing wrong with it. It's comfortable, and i get to sit back in my chair and enjoy life.

Some of these old PC guys need to wake up and stop hating on anything that isn't a mouse and kb, it's 2013.

18. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 00:01 AngelicPenguin

Asmo wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 22:20:
Krizzen wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 21:46:
It's relevant because Blizzard mentioned it around the first time they said Diablo 3 and console in the same paragraph. They said they had Diablo 3 working with a console controller, and it worked pretty good. The community response was immediately: "Can I use my 360 controller on PC? Why can't I since you guys have it working?"

That's why it's relevant.

I have about as much respect for those people as I do for someone who willingly cuts off perfectly health legs so he can use a wheelchair...

Blackhawk wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 22:09:
Stop with the conspiracy theories.

There is no cross play for the same reason that there is no cross-play with most competitive games (especially those where you're spending real cash: It is impossible for a console player to remain competitive with a PC player. I can program my keyboard with complex inputs that would twist someone's thumbs into a pretzel if they tried it on a controller.

A keyboard/mouse can provide more input more quickly and precisely than a controller.

In other news, water is wet.

Sad thing is, the PS3 (and presumably the 4) have full mouse/keyboard support built in. But they can't give anyone the advantage otherwise they would have to do it for everyone...

Not that I'd buy it on either platform, but hell, let the user select the control scheme on startup and if the happen to be a PS3/4 user with a mouse/kb, let them play with the big kids instead of being stuck in the kiddie pool.

I have no idea why it bothers you if someone wants to use a controller for their PC. I thought a big part of PC gaming was that you had options.

Funny enough, you seem all for it on the PS3/4.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo