Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 26, 2013, 14:28 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 03:06:
nin wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 22:58:
I think there's also a difference in picking on an adult and a 9 y/o kid.

Interesting that, from what I read, it sounds like the onion has been gutted and moved in the last year, and isn't the folks it used to be.

edit: Link to the onion changes.

Oh, I hadn't heard that they'd lost a lot of their core staff. That's really a shame. They'd done some amazing stuff over the years. It's amazing how some actual politics has become so over the top as to almost match what the Onion wrote, to the point that people read Onion stories and thought they were real. I hope they can rebuild.

Agreed, The Onion is one of the few extraneous sites I subscribe to. Even since the changes though they are still pretty damned funny and put out a lot of amusing video content as well.

The Onion Talks stuff parodying TED Talks are to die for. Sex House was another really good one.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 26, 2013, 12:54 Bodolza

I laughed.

But I don't blame the Onion for apologizing, as long as they don't castrate themselves, too.

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 26, 2013, 09:50 KS

jdreyer wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 22:25:
Even though that tweet was more South Park than The Onion, it wasn't any worse than what SP often does. Part of the problem with it was it just wasn't funny.

They were mocking this kind of idiotic comment made about adults. That it was applied to a child is why it's funny.

It's perfect satire -- poking fun at Man's institutions for the purpose of improving them.

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 26, 2013, 09:02 nin

Oh, I hadn't heard that they'd lost a lot of their core staff. That's really a shame.

I hadn't either until I stumbled across that. Was disappointing to read.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 26, 2013, 08:06 Quboid

Interesting that, from what I read, it sounds like the onion has been gutted and moved in the last year, and isn't the folks it used to be.

They weren't picking on a 9yo, they were picking on the media; the same media who are probably now following their "Onion insults little girl" stories with "5 worst dressed women at the Oscars" and fail to see the irony.

As satire, it was a bit ham-fisted - the c-word seems to be the only non-racial swear word that still offends. It shouldn't have been tweeted in the first place, because it just wasn't that funny.

- Quboid

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 26, 2013, 03:06 jdreyer

Oh, I hadn't heard that they'd lost a lot of their core staff. That's really a shame. They'd done some amazing stuff over the years. It's amazing how some actual politics has become so over the top as to almost match what the Onion wrote, to the point that people read Onion stories and thought they were real. I hope they can rebuild.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 26, 2013, 00:34 PropheT

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 00:22:
Netflix: We’re Only Doing One Season Of Arrested Development. Thanks nin.

Watched all the eps on Amazon a while back....is that no longer possible? (Amazon Prime is awesome)

They're still there on Amazon; this is just talking about the new season that Netflix is going to have.

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 26, 2013, 00:22 xXBatmanXx

Netflix: We’re Only Doing One Season Of Arrested Development. Thanks nin.

Watched all the eps on Amazon a while back....is that no longer possible? (Amazon Prime is awesome)

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 25, 2013, 22:58 nin

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2013, 23:06.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 25, 2013, 22:25 jdreyer

Even though that tweet was more South Park than The Onion, it wasn't any worse than what SP often does. Part of the problem with it was it just wasn't funny.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo