Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website

Player Attack has a Watch_Dogs trailer from the PlayStation 4 semi-reveal, revealing an underscore in the title of Ubisoft's upcoming big brother game, and more. They note a URL hidden in the clip which leads to this site, which at first glance appears to be hacked, but a closer examination indicates this is part of the game's viral promotion. The clip includes the Latin quote: "Quis Custodiet Costodes Ipsos," which was Roman poet Juvenal's way of asking "Who will guard the guards themselves?" Or more commonly: "Who watches the watchmen?" Thanks Leon, who helpfully confirms that the domain for this website is registered to Ubisoft.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 26, 2013, 00:35 saluk

Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 18:44:
Definitely something to look forward to based on what has been shown so far. I could see spending hours just f'ing around with the daily operation of the city. One issue I can see is that it would seem impossible for every last single NPC in the game to be totally unique, that would be an insanely huge database, so how's it going to work? Are there going to be a multitude of Janets walking around who just got evicted? If every single citizen in the game is unique that would be awsome. Of course being a next gen console game it's at least two years away from a purchase for me at any rate... if at all, depends on the PS4, XBOX isnt even in the running as I refuse to pay to play and I don't see M$ drooping that, um, feature.

It doesn't look like it's ps4 only. It wouldn't be that hard to make all the characters "unique". Use a character creator, randomize the sliders, randomize a name, randomize the character's story. With careful effort, nothing would even need to be saved and you could guarantee a new, unique character to spawn whenever it is needed. OTOH even a large predefined database of characters would not take that much room.

The question is what HAVE they done.

I think when he said there was no mission or objectives, he was defining that for the demo, and stressing that the situation wasn't scripted. If it truly wasn't scripted or cleaned up for the demo, that's very cool. But we've time and again seen how demos and final games can differ *cough* aliens:cm *cough*.

I'm almost done with sleeping dogs, if this is as fun it wont be hard to get me to buy in. But it will make me sad if it falls short of the interconnected world they are selling.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 23:43 SlimRam

WHEN I buy this game (and if this WILL in fact be possible), I'm pretty sure the deviant in me is going to be spending a disturbing amount of time, perched upon a building ledge and watching the street below me erupt in mayhem as I switch the traffic lights on and off at the most inopportune time. Then calling the police to the scene...then calling in a bomb threat across town...then ordering a pizza to be delivered to the hell hole intersection I am currently terrorizing...only to take potshots at him....Uh,on second thought, maybe I really SHOULDN'T be buying this game Devil  

I'm bringing Sexy Back

Luckily, I kept the receipt

26. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 22:47 Jerykk

30 FPS is pretty bad. Playable but downright painful when compared to 60+ FPS.

If CoD (and all the other sub-720p console games out there) are any indication, developers will be more willing to sacrifice resolution than framerate. Don't be surprised to see a lot of 720p next-gen games.

25. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 21:33 theyarecomingforyou

PHJF wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 12:59:
And I sincerely hope this isn't the case because I am not paying a dime for anything on an upcoming console that isn't 1080p. If they have to lock at 30FPS, fine.
I imagine it will be similar to the current gen, in that to get 60fps they'll have to scale down the resolution (maybe as low as 720p) but most games will manage 1080p at 30fps. Either way the next-gen consoles aren't going to be close to what is possible on the PC and in a few years even budget PC gaming will be considerably ahead.

High DPI displays are just around the corner (they're already here for tablets/laptops but they're not mainstream or optimised for gaming) and it won't be long before 4K / Ultra-HD is the standard; hopefully we'll also see refresh rates increase, as 60Hz is too low and TN-panels are an unacceptable tradeoff.

I'll be sticking to PC gaming.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

24. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 19:22 NKD

1badmf wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 19:08:
i felt the story and gameplay would've been more gripping if he took a more gandhi-esque route to civil disobedience.

I guess they leave that up to the player. He could have just let the guy get away, and still saved the girl I imagine. Or he could have ignored the situation entirely, since it's not a mission but just a random occurrence.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

23. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 19:08 1badmf

Xero wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 12:21:
Honestly, not trying to sound like a hater but there is nothing new being shown here... Cloth based physics we've seen already, (Mafia2). The whole parkour running has been done in Sleeping Dogs and the chase unless you've missed out. Still waiting to see something new and refreshing. Then again, have we've exhausted every single style of gameplay by now? Is originality or innovation dead at this point?

a few new gameplay/grafix quirks? that's all you care about? what about the urban information warfare? the backstory of modern information overload? there's a lot of potential for new ground in the story, and that's what concerns me the most. but i don't like how he has no compunction about killing people. i felt the story and gameplay would've been more gripping if he took a more gandhi-esque route to civil disobedience.

22. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 18:59 Quinn

Like Skyrim, it'll just be a nice concoction of percentages. 2% of the people you scan will be evicted, 10% homeless, 25% studying or whatever, etc etc.

10% chance you meet a jack or jane
5% chance you meet a michael or michelle
0,1% chance you meet a Heinrich
60% chance you meet an Achmed/Mohammed and 35% chance he's a terrorrist..
Etc
Etc
Etc

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

21. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 18:44 Yosemite Sam

Definitely something to look forward to based on what has been shown so far. I could see spending hours just f'ing around with the daily operation of the city. One issue I can see is that it would seem impossible for every last single NPC in the game to be totally unique, that would be an insanely huge database, so how's it going to work? Are there going to be a multitude of Janets walking around who just got evicted? If every single citizen in the game is unique that would be awsome. Of course being a next gen console game it's at least two years away from a purchase for me at any rate... if at all, depends on the PS4, XBOX isnt even in the running as I refuse to pay to play and I don't see M$ drooping that, um, feature.  

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

20. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 18:09 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 18:01:
I wanted to watch the video, but there was a 1:30 ad before the video, so I closed the window.

Huh, my ad had a skip link after the first 10s or so.

I think it looks cool. As always, will wait for reviews/Blues commenters opinions after this comes out.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 18:01 xXBatmanXx

I wanted to watch the video, but there was a 1:30 ad before the video, so I closed the window.

Went directly to the website - no ads.

http://watchdogs.ubi.com/watchdogs/en-us/purchase/
Says Wii (Wii can't do that)
PC (hope not a port)
XBOX 360
PS3
No mention of PS4 unless you go to Twitter feed, but the box art is for ps3.

Amazon lists for 99.99, but all other stores is 59.99.

Going to be on all platforms, draw distance looks good, but I wonder at what expense.....the whole world needs to be drawn, and that just isn't possible with that draw distance. At the end they said it was a demo, so I am thinking that is a very small piece.

So the game just seems like open world GTA with "no missions, no objectives". Not sure what they are selling then. Why did the player apprehend the "criminal" and then get chased by the cops?

Looks cool, but think I would get bored quickly.

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2013, 18:16.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 16:56 Wowbagger_TIP

Rattlehead wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 16:45:
This game looks really good, and if that small clip represents the game then I am sold. Is this a ps3 or ps4 game?

I'm not much interested in playing through a bunch of scripted events. I'll wait and see how things actually turn out before laying out any cash.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

17. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 16:45 Rattlehead

This game looks really good, and if that small clip represents the game then I am sold. Is this a ps3 or ps4 game?  

16. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 16:19 Quinn

Game looks awesome! Obviously some resources are spared by using Assassin's Creed art direction in the UI for example.

Peculiar though, how you save a woman's life to then have potentially killed 4 policemen in the escape....

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

15. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 16:11 siapnar

JediPunisher wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 15:12:
And I sincerely hope this isn't the case because I am not paying a dime for anything on an upcoming console that isn't 1080p. If they have to lock at 30FPS, fine.

Agreed... 1080p w/4xAA and vsynced at 30fps minimum... or I'll stick with my PC.
BTW, why not offer the player the option for 1080p/30 or 720p/60?
Well, it's not going to work that way just by a change in res, they'll have to optimize everything to run at 60 fps.

Really guys, I wouldn't be surprised if most games are 720p upscaled to 1080.. at 30 fps.

I have projectile dysfunction.

14. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 15:12 JediPunisher

Agreed... 1080p w/4xAA and vsynced at 30fps minimum... or I'll stick with my PC.
BTW, why not offer the player the option for 1080p/30 or 720p/60?

13. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 13:01 Cutter

And what was Ubisoft just saying about the PC. Much like EA and their recommitment? Fucking pricks.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 12:59 PHJF

I sincerely doubt many games will run at 1080p and 60fps

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 12:31 Jerykk

Honestly, not trying to sound like a hater but there is nothing new being shown here... Cloth based physics we've seen already, (Mafia2). The whole parkour running has been done in Sleeping Dogs and the chase unless you've missed out. Still waiting to see something new and refreshing. Then again, have we've exhausted every single style of gameplay by now? Is originality or innovation dead at this point?

I think you somehow missed the whole hacking part of the game, which is its key innovation. Being able to manipulate the environment in interesting ways is something that always been missing from open-world games and Watch Dogs looks to deliver it.

10. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 12:24 nin

I've not watched this clip (stuck at work), but did you see what they showed at sony's ps4 deal last week?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Watch_Dogs Trailer, Website Feb 25, 2013, 12:21 Xero

Currently playing: Skyrim

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo