Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 19:18 Verno

Cutter wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 18:55:
It's going to happen and you and I both know that.

Just like the dozens of other patents that amounted to nothing? No sorry I don't "know" that and neither do you. It's a patent, I'll express outrage if the feature comes out and only if it affects non-pirates. Anti-piracy does not mean anti-used games, there are easier ways to do both than what that patent entails (go read it).

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 18:55 Cutter

Verno wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 14:44:
Cutter wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 14:19:
What did I say about Sony being disingenuous? Next they'll claim this anti-piracy measure was a demand of the publishers and they had nothing to do with it so when you can't play your used copy of a game don't blame them...right?

It's a patent, it's not yet a feature. Both companies build out patent portfolios prior to launch, for example their used games patent which turned out to be nothing. Sony did something similar with the PS3.

It's going to happen and you and I both know that.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

20. Re: Tomb Raider Collector’s Edition. Feb 25, 2013, 16:43 space admiral

siapnar wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 16:38:
The new Tomb Raider looks like she's turned into Rambo and couldn't care less about any tombs, let alone raiding them

the only question that matters: are her tits still awesome?

19. Tomb Raider Collector’s Edition. Feb 25, 2013, 16:38 siapnar

The new Tomb Raider looks like she's turned into Rambo and couldn't care less about any tombs, let alone raiding them  

I have projectile dysfunction.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 16:06 Ozmodan

Sony just had to trump Microsoft by announcing first. They are no closer to a ready to play console than Microsoft it. Personally I will bet you will see the xbox 720 on the market before the sony ps4. Even the people who are developing for it, are only using prototypes with the understanding things will probably change before release.  

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 16:02 Tumbler

I wonder if console gamers were as disappointed with the d3 announcement as pc gamers were?

I'm extremely curious what players will say about the offline mode. If they don't alter the drop rates I can't imagine playing offline will be any fun. I would expect they would alter the drop rates so that players will have a good time playing offline but I just don't have confidence that blizzard would care.

And then does that mode become possible on the pc? (aka FUN mode)

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 15:37 peteham

Someone posted this supposed leaked image of the PS4 version on another forum: http://tinyurl.com/ahhfcyj
Looks like it's going to be a faithful port.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 14:57 avianflu

There's nothing stopping non-Sony game publishers from instituting their own anti-used game strictures, like mandatory registration with a fee if the unique serial has already been registered, or online passes.

SONY is being very coy when they say the "PS4 wont block used games." I'd be happy to be wrong.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 14:44 Verno

Cutter wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 14:19:
What did I say about Sony being disingenuous? Next they'll claim this anti-piracy measure was a demand of the publishers and they had nothing to do with it so when you can't play your used copy of a game don't blame them...right?

It's a patent, it's not yet a feature. Both companies build out patent portfolios prior to launch, for example their used games patent which turned out to be nothing. Sony did something similar with the PS3.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 14:19 Orphic Resonance

KILL SONY! fucking losers  

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 14:19 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 13:02 PHJF

There were a shitload of fun ARPGs prior to current gen. Dark Alliance was a hoot.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 11:23 Creston

That load-time idea is going to bite Sony in the ass, unless it has such a wide lenient range that it becomes pointless anyway. If it's set too harshly, it will only hamper legitimate customers.

And even so, how is it going to stop piracy that simply uses the same media? Say this is smart enough to see you are loading your game from a USB stick, and thus it's pirated. So you put your pirated copy on a Blu-Ray disc instead. Tadaaa, piracy check circumvented?

This will do 0% to stop piracy, and will do a fuckton more to annoy customers. Oh wait, I forgot. According to the game industry, there are no customers, everyone is actually a pirate.

Creston

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 10:44 LittleMe

Verno wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 10:16:
They'll probably make a killing, there aren't a ton of decent ARPGs on the consoles. I've long held the opinion that console consumers in general are less demanding and discerning than PC consumers. More likely to blindly buy products and less likely to be tuned into problems about them.

Yeah they'll make a lot of money on the consoles, I think. IMO, console gamers are more demanding in many ways. I doubt they'd put up with ARMA 2, or lots of other high maintenance games that we do. They also want expensive presentation. They want things simple and straightforward, and that can be expensive to produce. But I'm no developer so.... But yes, they're less discerning it seems.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 10:30 Wallshadows

InBlack wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 10:01:
Heheh, cant believe that Blizzard is taking Diablo to consoles. After all that is wrong with that game, do they really want to alienate a WHOLE NEW MARKET? Ok with the console crowd you never know, and most of the people who will be playing probably werent even born when D1 was released....

Lets not forget this gem which actually turned out fairly well.

Also, note the publisher.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 10:16 Verno

nin wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 09:23:
I wonder if console gamers were as disappointed with the d3 announcement as pc gamers were?

Heheh, cant believe that Blizzard is taking Diablo to consoles. After all that is wrong with that game, do they really want to alienate a WHOLE NEW MARKET? Ok with the console crowd you never know, and most of the people who will be playing probably werent even born when D1 was released....

They'll probably make a killing, there aren't a ton of decent ARPGs on the consoles. I've long held the opinion that console consumers in general are less demanding and discerning than PC consumers. More likely to blindly buy products and less likely to be tuned into problems about them. Given many of the shallow design elements in the PC version, it shouldn't exactly be a surprise either. If you think about it in retrospect, there's probably a reason for the skill limit being a gamepads available buttons for example.

As for the PS4 thing, I agree, it's just going to be a black box with a logo. The press is just being silly because they didn't get a special invite-only event first like Sony did in the past.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 10:16 InBlack

Indeed it does. Im not a fan of conspiracy theories though, I think its just a plain and simple cash grab. DiabloIII sucks for the same reason Aliens: Collonial Marines sucks, the people who designed those games really dont give two shits about the IP and what it represents.  

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 10:11 nin

Some of the vocal minority are now saying that some of it's shortcomings (low number of spells, no skill points, etc) are reflective of that fact that it was planned for consoles all along, and that the PC release was basically just testing the waters before it was rolled out on consoles. Which...explains a lot, actually.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 10:01 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 09:39 Frijoles

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 09:19:
...they each have different voices, animations...

Needless expenditures which would be better placed elsewhere.

Didn't we bitch about Oblivion having the same 3 or 4 people for every voice in the game? Game devs can't win.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo