Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's accounting of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for the week:

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn
  2. BioShock Infinite
  3. Arma II: Combined Operations
  4. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  5. Tomb Raider
  6. Brutal Legend
  7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  8. Torchlight II
  9. Resident Evil 6
  10. Garry's Mod

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 26, 2013, 06:30 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 22:57:
Hopefully a few of you are still staying true to the bargain mentality, and waiting for the GotY version of Skyrim to hit about 10-20 bucks.

Nope, we're all on on second or third playthroughs, and buying the DLC.

You want to know how it ends?

The game is so good, that full retail is worth it....not many games I say that about. I own it on 2 systems and think it is one of the best in the last few years. Up there with SR3 and GTA4.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 25, 2013, 22:57 nin

Hopefully a few of you are still staying true to the bargain mentality, and waiting for the GotY version of Skyrim to hit about 10-20 bucks.

Nope, we're all on on second or third playthroughs, and buying the DLC.

You want to know how it ends?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 25, 2013, 22:20 MoreLuckThanSkill

So continues the widespread conspiracy to prevent Skyrim from ever dropping in base price down to the 10 dollar range. Congratulations, your evil plot has succeeded!

It's gone way past what's worthwhile based on gameplay, we're on to principle here.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 25, 2013, 17:01 Sepharo

Jarl ballin.  

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 25, 2013, 13:30 PHJF

Why the fuck is a level 60 character a bandit, instead of the King of fucking Whiterun?

Because Whiterun doesn't have kings!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 25, 2013, 11:08 Creston

Dev wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 22:08:
Well but they forced it on everyone. This is just people who want it.

I know, it was more tongue-in-cheek than anything. Personally I hate level-scaling, and the idea of "level 60 bandits" is utterly retarded to me. Why the fuck is a level 60 character a bandit, instead of the King of fucking Whiterun?

But hey, if people like playing with it, go right ahead. That's why the Elder Scrolls series is so awesome. Don't like one particular thing? Change it!

Creston

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 25, 2013, 02:08 Jerykk

There are ways to balance games without resorting to level scaling. Removing health and mana regen, reducing the sneak crit damage bonus, nerfing the insane race-specific resistances, slowing down the leveling rate, nerfing the overpowered skills (Alchemy, Smithing and Enchanting), requiring certain attribute/skill levels in order to use different spells and weapons, making the AI smarter, reducing the rate and amount of health and mana that potions regenerate, etc.

I'm using mods for some of the above and Skyrim is giving my a pretty decent challenge at max difficulty. I've built my character as a sneaky archer thief and if I get hit, a fairly significant portion of my health bar disappears. I made sure to avoid choosing a race that has any kind of innate magic resistance too, so I actually have to rely on potions and enchantments if I want to survive against mages. Also, I don't grind. I only craft stuff that I intend to use and only trade and fight when necessary. The inherent problem with usage-based leveling systems is that they are incredibly easy to exploit and most people will do so without second thought. Then they complain when their character is maxed out and the game is too easy.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 24, 2013, 22:08 Dev

Creston wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 21:39:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 20:47:
Or Enhanced Higher level gameplay

I love that everyone HATED the level-scaling in oblivion, so Bethesda changed it for FO3 and Skyrim, and modders are putting the level scaling right back in. As a developer, you just can't win.

Creston
Well but they forced it on everyone. This is just people who want it. And, notice that there's other solutions too. Like the other guy talking in this thread about that ACE thing, that scales your damage and leveling back a bit, rather than anyone else in the world.

Thats the great thing about mods, everyone can find something they like, or they can do their own

Or there's the no mod solution someone else mentioned, just start using things you have no skills for.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 24, 2013, 21:44 Mashiki Amiketo

Creston wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 21:39:
I love that everyone HATED the level-scaling in oblivion, so Bethesda changed it for FO3 and Skyrim, and modders are putting the level scaling right back in. As a developer, you just can't win.

Creston
Haha. Spot on. Between the mods, and DD even a level 55+ character can get ground wiped in a couple of seconds. My battlemage(600mana/450ish health) with 102% fire/frost or shock and 44% magic res, and 2pts in magic resistance from the alteration tree has still be 1-shot by enemies with magic damage, and with nearly 1k armor(minus shield) I've still been crit for 80% of my health in one go in melee/ranged damage.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 24, 2013, 21:39 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 20:47:
Or Enhanced Higher level gameplay

Creston

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 24, 2013, 21:35 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 16:10:
If the Elder Scrolls were a sports team, they'd be the 1990s Bulls with Jordan and Pippen.

LOL

Creston

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 24, 2013, 21:33 Creston

JohnBirshire wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 18:19:
I loved Skyrim and finished 70% of the content or so. Finished main quest, mages guild, dark brotherhood, and companions. The game got incredibly boring though when you were so powerful you could tear every enemy up in two seconds on hardest difficulty, so didn't get around to finishing imperials vs locals or the thieves guild. Does Dragonborn make the game any more challenging?

Here's the thing: If you do everything in a single playthrough of Skyrim, you outpower the game for most of it. I always get much more enjoyment out of Skyrim by setting goals for a new character.

So for example, the character I played with last was going to become the Archmage, then use his magic skills to help him get through the thieves' quest lines without really having the skills to do so. This worked great, and by the time I had finished both those goals, I took him to Soltsheim to kick Miraak's ass.

Now I'm also in the mood to do the Dark Brotherhood quests, but he's too powerful for that, so when I get around to it, I'll just make another character and do the DB quests.

I find that that helps much much more in keeping Skyrim fresh and challenging than just making one character and becoming stupidly overpowered.

A few things that can help: Mods, obviously, and setting the difficulty to Expert or Master. One mod I definitely recommend is "ACE - BYOG (Balance Your Own Game.)" It allows you to set how much damage everything does above or below normal, how many hps you have above and below normal, your xp rate, etc.

By setting your damage a bit lower, turning your health regen off completely, and setting the xp rate to -75% (don't set it to 100%, as the game gets very confused by that...) you make it take a lot longer to level up and stuff gets a lot more difficult, especially if you play on Expert from the get-go.

If that's not enough, things like Skyrim Reborn will overhaul things even more drastically, but for me just modding a few small things with ACE makes it just about perfect.

Dragonborn in and of itself doesn't do anything for the challenge. If you're already overpowered on the mainland, Soltsheim isn't really much harder, and you'll just tear through there as well.

I recommend starting a new character for it.

Creston

17. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 24, 2013, 21:17 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 20:15:
I loved Skyrim and finished 70% of the content or so. Finished main quest, mages guild, dark brotherhood, and companions. The game got incredibly boring though when you were so powerful you could tear every enemy up in two seconds on hardest difficulty, so didn't get around to finishing imperials vs locals or the thieves guild. Does Dragonborn make the game any more challenging?

M O D S

Mods definitely fix that, but one thing to consider is that most of them of that nature require a fresh game start to really work. I agree it's the way to go, and I enjoy them a lot myself, but it's not a solution unless someone is willing to completely restart a very, very long game to do it.

16. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 24, 2013, 20:48 ItBurn

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 20:15:

M O D S

Actually, once you become too powerful, it's usually because you raised your main skills to 100. STOP. Use a completely different set of skills. Difficulty dramatically raised, progression restarted and you keep levelling up, making your character even more powerful if you switch back to your main skills.

That's what I did. I'm a light armor archer first. Then I maxed heavy armor and dual handed. Now I'm doing blocking and destruction. Kinda makes starting a new character useless though.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 24, 2013, 20:47 Mashiki Amiketo

jdreyer wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 19:30:
There are probably mods for that.
There are mods for it. High level enemies for one. Vanilla Skyrim Dawnguard Use both if you have both. He hasn't released one yet for Dragonborn though. Or Enhanced Higher level gameplay and for Dawnguard Also get deadly dragons, and things aren't so easy anymore.

I've used both High level enemies and Enhanced Higher level gameplay I like both. In terms of what they do they're both excellent, so try either or in different playthroughs and see which one you like.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

14. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 24, 2013, 20:15 HorrorScope

M O D S

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 24, 2013, 19:39 cronik

The game got incredibly boring though when you were so powerful you could tear every enemy up in two seconds on hardest difficulty, so didn't get around to finishing imperials vs locals or the thieves guild.

Agreed. Once I was decked out in enchanted daedric gear, I quickly lost interest in the game, but the journey getting to that point was fun.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 24, 2013, 19:30 jdreyer

There are probably mods for that.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 24, 2013, 19:29 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 17:26:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 16:10:
If the Elder Scrolls were a sports team, they'd be the 1990s Bulls with Jordan and Pippen.

Don't leave out Grant, Cartwright, Kerr, Paxson The Worm, Kukoc, just sayin. They damn near were the best team ever assembled.

I find it hard to disagree, and I'm a diehard Celts fan who came of age during the Bird, McHale, Parrish age. Those Bulls were so consistently amazing. Kinda like the Elder Scrolls.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 24, 2013, 18:19 JohnBirshire

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo