Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Legal Briefs

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 24, 2013, 21:35 Orphic Resonance

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 20:17:
How do fouls work?

maybe it has something to do with magnets?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 24, 2013, 20:17 HorrorScope

How do fouls work?  

8. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 24, 2013, 18:50 HorrorScope

What happens when 1000 people in the FBI dept tally a total of 6 strikes (by end of next week), are they cut off? How about a company. This has got to be the most "who knows wtf is going on thing" I've seen in a while. What are the rules?  

7. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2013, 18:11 Dev

That AMA from the congress staffer was fascinating. Has peeks behind the curtain. Stuff I always pretty much figured, but now is confirmed.

Some of the interesting bits:

"SOPA was pretty simple really - most Members don't understand technology or care about technology - and the biggest baddest interest group says that they have a solution that will save American jobs and defend IP, and people are like umm ok, cool! I was in meetings like this"

A question about how much lobbyists are involved:
Unfortunately, most Hill staffers do so many different issues it's almost impossible for them to have anything close to "expertise" on any of them - I'm not disparaging them many work very hard and most would admit this themselves.
So as a result, staffers often rely upon lobbyists who are seen by most as industry experts. Sometimes these lobbyists have decades of experience in an industry and really do know their stuff - often times they do not however. But either way, they are not trying to present the facts, they are presenting their facts. I always realized that this should be taken with a grain of salt. But in answer to your question, they are VERY involved."

6. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2013, 15:39 Sepharo

I heard that if you ignore all the "strikes" nothing can be done. I think the reasoning was that you had to essentially admit guilt by going through their education process and if you didn't do it the harsher penalties couldn't go into effect. Anyone know if that's still the case?  

5. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2013, 15:21 Dev

Lawmakers passing laws they don't read. Nothing new  

4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2013, 12:46 Ratty

Wait, I thought Republicans were against regulation and government interfering with private industry. If carriers don't allow cellphone unlocking shouldn't we let the free market weed them out?  

3. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 24, 2013, 11:45 HorrorScope

Yeah we are going to hear some real humdingers with this 6 strikes thing.

To me it simply reads... "We are cable content providers, we want your internet connections to suck, because it is threatening us".

2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2013, 11:45 nin

I curious what happens when they hit 7, since it's still not clear. Is it just throttling (and if so, for how long), or turning all your info over the the rights holder, for a suit. Still wonderfully murky.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2013, 11:35 Cutter

Six strikes, three strikes, etc. it's so fucking ridiculous. Let the punishment fit the crime and the criminal.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo