Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The Academy Awards will be handed out tonight. As always, MrsBlue and I are at a disadvantage when it comes to the Oscars, since we usually only see movies after they come to cable/satellite. We did see two of the current flicks though, so based on what we know, we are picking Lincoln and Django Unchained to sweep the awards. This may be iffy when it comes to things like best animated short, but you have to stick with what you know. If you are looking for guidance from someone who knows more about this than me... well, I guess you could ask about anyone, but specifically, our old comrade loonyboi has once again posted his own picks, which are actually well-informed in general, not just in comparison with my ignorance.

R.I.P.: CEO Paul McIlhenny at co. that makes Tabasco dies.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Gang Blast 2.
Links: Spider-Man 1967 cartoon online. Thanks Cutter.
Science: Temporary Tattoos Could Make Electronic Telepathy, Telekinesis Possible. Thanks HARDOCP.
Media: Unexpected RUDE hitchhikers!. ROFL.
The Joy of ASCII with Bob Ross. Happy asterisks.
Harlem Shake Brady Bunch. Thanks reddit.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2013, 09:03 xXBatmanXx

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 14:35:
Not big on the Academy - they have snubbed (?) some of the greatest films, some of the greatest actors, and some of the greatest producers in history. My opinion is usually that they can go F themselves.

Oh, and I will be at the Dropkick Murphys show.

Well....all I have to say is....the show kicked ass. VIP thanks to a buddy who owns a place near me. Wow....been a lot of years since I saw the Murphys and they didn't disappoint.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2013, 06:46 InBlack

nin wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 22:17:
nin wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 19:43:
and of course Christoph Waltz.

He pretty much made IB and Django, for me...

And he wins best supporting actor. Excellent! Don't really care about the rest. As long as he got that one, I'm happy.

I wonder when other directors will catch on that this guy is a screen presence the like of which hasnt been seen in a long time and cast him as a lead. I mean he does have 2 oscars to his name in the TWO US movies he acted in.

Ok just checked IMDB it appears he is being cast as Mikhail Gorbachev, alongside Michael Douglass (as Reagan) in a new movie that is in preproduction...

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2013, 01:36 Sepharo

loony not a fan of Django I see  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2013, 00:22 siapnar

Seth Mcfarlane did a great job

Glad Quentin got the screenplay award. Well deserved.

I have projectile dysfunction.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2013, 22:17 nin

nin wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 19:43:

And he wins best supporting actor. Excellent! Don't really care about the rest. As long as he got that one, I'm happy.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2013, 19:44 Orphic Resonance

As always, MrsBlue and I are at a djisadvantage when it comes to the Oscars,

Drummer

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2013, 19:43 nin

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2013, 19:21 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 16:17:
django was really good, and mostly i hate tarantino flicks. usually i think they're all show without a hint of substance. but this one had just enough subtlety and character growth to care about the faces you saw on the big screen. i also loved that it sortof became a retelling of the brunhilde legend. you never see germanic mythology superimposed over a pre-civil war slavery setting, but it was inventive as hell.

I'm not a huge Tarantino fan, but Inglorius Basterds blew me away. Love how he builds tension, how the violence hits so hard and is over so fast, the fantastical ending, and of course Christoph Waltz.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2013, 19:17 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 14:35:
Not big on the Academy - they have snubbed (?) some of the greatest films, some of the greatest actors, and some of the greatest producers in history.

Very true. Quick, which film did Saving Private Ryan lose to? Pretty much the greatest war movie ever made loses to a romantic comedy.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2013, 19:14 jdreyer

PHJF wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 10:04:
I'd be totally surprised if Django won anything. Waltz for supporting actor wouldn't be out of line, but I still don't think he'll get it. Argo was such a typical Hollywood movie (cringe-worthy ending), and Lincoln was Oscar bait through and through, so I'm going with them.

Personally I'd go with Zero Dark, which I thought was a much better movie than Hurt Locker. The pacing probably put a lot of people off but overall it was just perfectly executed (no pun intended).

Argo had the best script though. That, and it's perfect casting made it my fav of the year. Yeah, the ending is a bit too Hollywood, but the journey to said ending is so good. I did really like Zero Dark, prbably a close 2nd along with Beasts of the Southern Wild (and A Cabin In The Woods!). Lincoln was good, but a bit too Spielbergy. A Cabin In The Woods was nominated for nothing, which is a shame, b/c that movie is sheer genius.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2013, 16:17 1badmf

django was really good, and mostly i hate tarantino flicks. usually i think they're all show without a hint of substance. but this one had just enough subtlety and character growth to care about the faces you saw on the big screen. i also loved that it sortof became a retelling of the brunhilde legend. you never see germanic mythology superimposed over a pre-civil war slavery setting, but it was inventive as hell.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2013, 15:37 ventry

The Academy Awards. Good god.
A bunch of over paid, stuck-up, prima-donna wankers patting each other on the back for being..... well
Over paid, stuck-up, prima-donna wankers.
PASS!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2013, 14:42 siapnar

Django was awesome.

Some scenes really could have been cut shortened - including one of the last shootouts - but I thoroughly enjoyed it

It won't win, though.
My bets are on Zero Dark or Lincoln

I have projectile dysfunction.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2013, 14:35 xXBatmanXx

Not big on the Academy - they have snubbed (?) some of the greatest films, some of the greatest actors, and some of the greatest producers in history. My opinion is usually that they can go F themselves.

Oh, and I will be at the Dropkick Murphys show.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2013, 14:51.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2013, 12:04 Hoop

I'm picking ... my nose.  

Um .. Behind you...

5. Re: Spider-Man 1967 Feb 24, 2013, 11:49 Cutter

Capella wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 10:22:
Man I lived for that cartoon when I was a kid. It was only on a UHF channel out of Atlanta, GA. channel 17, better known today as TBS. Between this and Speed Racer I was in heaven!

Yeah, I have especially fond memories of them when I'd be sick at home from school. Soup, grilled cheese, Spider-Man and Hercules and Rocket Robin Hood cartoons. Good times. I still love the all the music for the 67 series and some of those episodes got pretty psychedelic both visually and musically.

And RIP Mr. McIllheny. I love me some Tabasco! Always a staple in my kitchen. In fact I'm going to scramble me up some eggs right now just to use some!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

4. Re: Spider-Man 1967 Feb 24, 2013, 11:40 nin

Django was ok, but I lost interest once Christoph Waltz died. Kinda ruined the ending...

3. Spider-Man 1967 Feb 24, 2013, 10:22 Capella

Man I lived for that cartoon when I was a kid. It was only on a UHF channel out of Atlanta, GA. channel 17, better known today as TBS. Between this and Speed Racer I was in heaven!

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2013, 10:04 PHJF

I'd be totally surprised if Django won anything. Waltz for supporting actor wouldn't be out of line, but I still don't think he'll get it. Argo was such a typical Hollywood movie (cringe-worthy ending), and Lincoln was Oscar bait through and through, so I'm going with them.

Personally I'd go with Zero Dark, which I thought was a much better movie than Hurt Locker. The pacing probably put a lot of people off but overall it was just perfectly executed (no pun intended).

Steam + PSN: PHJF

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2013, 09:52 crypto

wow, someone is an early bird  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo