Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced

Bugbear Entertainment announces their next car game, saying "demolition derby is set to return in a big way" in a game they say will come to "the PC and yet to be announced platforms" and promising more news soon (thanks Charlie). In the meatime they have launched a new website at NextCarGame.com as home to the project, offering newsletter signups, a teaser trailer, and word that the developer of the FlatOut series is bowing to the will of the people in returning to its roots, saying: "This time we're going back to our roots - just like all of our fans have been asking us to do!" They also state the trailer's realistic and considerable carnage are all created using in-game footage. Here's word:

Best known for our critically acclaimed, multi-million selling “FlatOut” series (FlatOut, FlatOut 2, FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage), team Bugbear is going to deliver the definitive demolition derby racing game.

We’re doing it because nobody else seems capable of delivering the kind of game our fans have been asking from us every week. We feel that there hasn’t been a proper demolition derby game in years. It’s about time they got an answer.

We’re calling it just our next car game for now. It’s coming for the PC and yet to be announced platforms. More news soon.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 25, 2013, 09:34 Beamer

Oh god, the music in FOUC is so bad. So very, very bad.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 24, 2013, 18:31 wtf_man

Jerykk wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 03:47:
Edit: After a bit of research, looks like the only difference is the lack of LAN support and the unfortunate use of GFWL.

Well... no thanks.

I'll stick with Flatout 2, then, although I like the music better in the 1st one.

16. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 24, 2013, 14:45 siapnar

Anyone remember Rollcage?

Kind of off topic, but frenetic carnage based racing brought it to mind.

I'd love for a studio to remake it with dazzling visuals and fun physics.

I used to constantly play it to The Matrix soundtrack

I have projectile dysfunction.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2013, 04:16 Rigs

Indeed, I'm not sure why you'd choose FO2 over FOUC as they are the same game, for all intents and purposes. If you have the first two, would I recommend getting UC? No. Unless you can find it for $5 or less, then hell yes. UC is just a re-do (like a 'GOLD' edition') of FO2, with changes made that Jerykk mentioned. IMO, it is the title to go for if you have an itchin' for demo derby, crash racin' or just goofing off. You'd be an idiot not to get one of these if you like any of that, or like having fun, period.

I'm glad to see BugBear is getting back to what they do (and know) best. I remember an article done about the original FO in Next Gen way back, and the final product, while slightly scaled down from the original vision, was everything they'd promised it would be (for once a dev actually delivered on their promises). It's amazing what they accomplished given the specs of systems that were available at the time (circa 2005). They'd be very wise to include an option in the new game for PhysX support. Could you imagine?! And soft-body physics, too, which someone already mentioned. I'm hoping the wrecking engine seen in the movie was just placeholder or scaled down because it doesn't look much different from the FO's of old. Surely, they've advanced in their implementation of visual destruction? A nice Interstate76/Powerslide-type of hybrid game would be welcome as well. I'd certainly go for that! It's a shame that they didn't hire BugBear to work on that 'Auto Combat' MMO that came out years ago. It would've had a better chance of survival and awesomeness with their engine purring beneath the hood...

*thinks about other types of MMO's that could be made with BugBear at the helm*

Hmmm, maybe a Mad Max, RAGE, Interstate76, Powerslide, Full Throttle mix-mash with an apocalyptic backdrop supported with performances by some of the original Mad Max movie actors? Well, assuming we could afford Mel Gibson and Tina Turner...

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

14. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 24, 2013, 03:47 Jerykk

What was worse about UC compared to FO2? From what I understand, it's the same game, just with better graphics.

Edit: After a bit of research, looks like the only difference is the lack of LAN support and the unfortunate use of GFWL. That said, I don't think anyone plays the game online anymore and none of my friends even own it, so those things are less of an issue to me.

13. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 24, 2013, 02:19 jacobvandy

If you already have FlatOut 2, DO NOT waste your money on Ultimate Carnage... It's almost a straight re-release, except it's WORSE in many ways.  

12. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 23, 2013, 21:19 Yosemite Sam

Destruction Derby! had fun with that one in the day. I think there's room for that kind of game. The physics in the vid look bad, gotta have good physics and good damage models.... and stunts!

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

11. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 23, 2013, 20:41 wtf_man

I liked Flatout 1 and 2... never got Ultimate Carnage... is that any good?

I know Beamer's quick opinion... but I'm looking for a little more detail.

Thanks.

10. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 23, 2013, 20:24 DangerDog

about damn time, I loved flat out 2.

I really hope that video means they'll be doing soft body physic simulation and that if it's going to be on consoles it's 100% next gen.

9. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 23, 2013, 20:01 jdreyer

WyldKat wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 19:10:
This looks really fun, and I like that they announced the PC version first.

I would love to see Bugbear do a post-apoc car combat game using their realistic driving and damage physics. Have some car building and scavenging in it too. Think Interstate '76 in full, modern graphics and physics glory.
This.

Why has no one done this yet?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 23, 2013, 19:11 Beamer

I only played FO1 and FOUC.

FO1 had too many bugs to truly be enjoyable. I lost too many races to things beyond my control. While it wasn't unusual for me to lead for all but the final lap (and lead by a lot), it killed me when the auto-replace (or whatever it was called when it put you back on the track) would fuck up. Too many times that it put me far back, or put me directly in front of some debris so that I had to reverse, or in one reoccuring issue put me without the drive wheels on the ground so that my tires just spun without gripping anything.

FOUC was better. Much better. But I feel they missed a great opportunity to add personality and vendettas against the AI drivers, and felt that the whole obstacle part was dumb (same in the first.)

Nothing about FO was extraordinary. The racing is what made it fun. BugBear can do that under any title. So I'll still buy this.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 23, 2013, 19:10 WyldKat

This looks really fun, and I like that they announced the PC version first.

I would love to see Bugbear do a post-apoc car combat game using their realistic driving and damage physics. Have some car building and scavenging in it too. Think Interstate '76 in full, modern graphics and physics glory.

6. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 23, 2013, 17:58 Dmitri_M

All I ever wanted out of the Flatout series was Demolition Derby 2.

Flatout2 came closest but their tracks were too grounded in reality with too much of an emphasis on racing.

Flatout1 might as well be considered a simulation. The tracks hardly allowed for the big crashes the game was capable of delivering.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Flatout2. But they need to make it easier for the big crashes to happen more consistently. DD2 achieved that by smart design placing huge jumps in many of the tracks.

5. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 23, 2013, 16:06 siapnar

I'm sure the game consists of more than demo derbies.

I have faith in Bugbear. Flatout 2 is one of my favourite racing games along with RBR

I have projectile dysfunction.

4. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 23, 2013, 15:27 HorrorScope

If demolition derby's were like this the NFL would have to worry.  

3. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 23, 2013, 14:14 Tanto Edge

Looks very cool.
Like Grid quality (which also had a sweet demo derby race).
Just lots missing from it.
This looks cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

2. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 23, 2013, 12:17 Elf Shot The Food

I liked the demolition derbies in FlatOut as a change of pace from the regular racing events. Not sure I want to play a game that's nothing *but* demolition derbies, though.

However if they put in regular racing events and the minigames again, I'll be all over it.

1. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 23, 2013, 12:05 Kajetan

Thats nice for Demolition Derby fans, but i would prefer a proper Flatout 3. Heck, if there might be a way to buy back the franchise name via Kickstarter and force Strategy First to remove everything related to "their" Flatout 3 ... i would back the hell out of my credit card.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo