Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Mobilization

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 24, 2013, 16:24 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 20:39:
Fibrocyte wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 20:05:
Cutter wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 15:17:
Google glasses - $1500 to show the world what a pathetic douchebag you are.

Translation: I hate what I can't afford.

I can afford it easily. I'm just not a douchebag that's attached to gadgets I don't need. Even cell phones, the vast majority of people don't even need one, yet they can't stop walking around yammering away and texting on them for no real reason at all. This is just another useless device for assholes. I can hardly wait to see when it starts killing all these idiots who are going to be distracted walking into traffic, etc. from wearing those stupid things. People that fill the emptiness in their life with needless toys are just sad.

Says the man who spends inordinate amounts of time commenting on a website that posts news about video games.

You're like 3 levels deep into "needless toys" land here yourself.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 24, 2013, 14:19 HorrorScope

Jeraxle wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 06:37:
It's called natural selection. Let them kill themselves. I only feel bad for the poor bastard that hits them.

Tough fucking crowd here. Not that I think many are actually dying this way, but here's to you never knowing anyone close.

29. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 24, 2013, 13:47 PHJF

American military outfits over there can be equipped with cell jamming systems designed to prevent cellular detonation of IEDs.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

28. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 24, 2013, 11:23 Jeraxle

I'm not surprised that reception is worse than patchy, but even just the phone looking for a tower, or a wifi hotspot, would be enough to give away your position. All the more reason to keep it in airplane mode I suppose.

Are there any checks made to ensure the solders' private equipment is safe?

I can't go into specifics, but trust me.. the dude's cell phone wasn't emitting a signal that anyone could hear.

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

27. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 24, 2013, 08:02 Quboid

Jeraxle wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 06:36:
Quboid wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 13:31:
Why would a soldier in combat have an iPhone, except to act as body armour? Isn't that all kinds of dangerous?

It could give away his position (by triangulating its cell connection), photos could be geotagged or give away sensitive information - ....

Giving away his position would be a neat trick given the lack of cell towers that an iphone works with here in Afghanistan.

I'm not surprised that reception is worse than patchy, but even just the phone looking for a tower, or a wifi hotspot, would be enough to give away your position. All the more reason to keep it in airplane mode I suppose.

Are there any checks made to ensure the solders' private equipment is safe?

- Quboid

26. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 24, 2013, 06:37 Jeraxle

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 21:24
uestion:
People already kill themselves by using a cell phone in places they shouldn't (driving, walking, etc), how much worse is it going to be when they are wearing them? [/quote:

It's called natural selection. Let them kill themselves. I only feel bad for the poor bastard that hits them. In this day and age, we'd crucify him for hitting the idiot.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2013, 06:50.

25. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 24, 2013, 06:36 Jeraxle

Quboid wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 13:31:
Why would a soldier in combat have an iPhone, except to act as body armour? Isn't that all kinds of dangerous?

It could give away his position (by triangulating its cell connection), photos could be geotagged or give away sensitive information - ....

Giving away his position would be a neat trick given the lack of cell towers that an iphone works with here in Afghanistan.

24. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 24, 2013, 06:34 Jeraxle

Cutter wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 15:09:
Propaganda much? An Iphone didn't save him, an object that changed a bullet's trajectory did. Why wasn't he wearing body armour?

Body armor doesn't cover the entire body.. And yes, we have pockets in our uniforms we can get to that isn't covered by body armor.

23. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 24, 2013, 01:33 NewMaxx

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 21:24:
People already kill themselves by using a cell phone in places they shouldn't (driving, walking, etc), how much worse is it going to be when they are wearing them?

If you're asking it, obviously Google did, too. In fact they had an answer for that question before they even proposed Glass.

It's the Google car, of course. And eventually the Google bus, if they can kick the transportation unions out. No need to pay attention to where you're going if automobiles already do that.

22. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 23, 2013, 23:14 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 22:19:
People already kill themselves by using a cell phone in places they shouldn't (driving, walking, etc), how much worse is it going to be when they are wearing them?

How many people you know that have died because they were using their cell-phone? Leave out driving, that is banned. Sounds like a bunch of grandma's round here... Time for the plastic bubbles.

In fairness, just because it's banned doesn't mean people aren't killing themselves - and more importantly killing others - by using their phone while driving.

There's potential for some useful stuff with Glass and driving - the obvious one being a HUD, so your speed and revs are displayed on your glasses via an app which talks to your car. Someone (Nissan, I think) has a smartphone app that you can use to control the aircon and suchlike in your car so this is not a big leap at all. Being able to see this without taking your eyes off the road could save lives.

- Quboid

21. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 22:24 mag

Quboid wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 20:12:
Is GoPro anything more than a camera? Google Glass is a lot more; directions, local information and augmented reality stuff - much of what a smartphone does.

I'm not saying it's worth $1500, or whatever the consumer price will be as I'm sure it will be horribly expensive, but I think it's a very cool project. Not cool in the traditional sense of course as wearing this will make you look very odd, particularly at first. I don't see why having this is a sign that you're a pathetic douche bag, why do you say that Cutter?

It's sort of like how wearing a Bluetooth headset looked odd, although I don't really understand the whole Blue-tool objection some people have. Wearing a Bluetooth headset makes you look like a taxi driver - there's nothing wrong with that, but there's nothing particularly great about it either.

I wonder what the Google Glass's battery life is like. Streaming video to and from the glasses, with GPS and the display on, all while being small and light enough to wear as glasses ... about 3 minutes?

killer_roach, I'd guess you could get prescription lenses for it. They probably wouldn't be cheap, but Google would be crazy not to offer this in some way.

I'm sure it can do... something else, but 95% of what they've shown of Glass has been, "Glass, take a picture of my food and paste it on Twitter," and "Glass, I'm in public, take a video of all of these guys and put it online!" and "Glass, I'm an x-gamer and doing something radical! Slap that shit on youtube!"

20. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 23, 2013, 22:19 HorrorScope

How many people you know that have died because they were using their cell-phone? Leave out driving, that is banned. Sounds like a bunch of grandma's round here... Time for the plastic bubbles.

19. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 23, 2013, 22:17 HorrorScope

Even cell phones, the vast majority of people don't even need one

Really? Who is deciding NEED here? You or each of us? Lots of people don't need a lot of things.

18. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 22:10 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 21:24
uestion:
People already kill themselves by using a cell phone in places they shouldn't (driving, walking, etc), how much worse is it going to be when they are wearing them? [/quote:

All depends on how they're used, I would think. I could see some cases where such technology could reduce serious accidents (putting a notification in your field of view would be safer than having somebody hunt down their phone to see what's going on), but the easily distracted could have considerable problems.

In all seriousness, while I'm not likely to be an early adopter of this technology (I'm a believer in Ray Kurzweil's saying of "technology is only expensive when it doesn't work"), but it's something that I could see myself interested in a few years down the road.

17. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 21:24 The Half Elf

Question:

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

16. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 21:02 Quboid

I'm just not a douchebag that's attached to gadgets I don't need. Even cell phones, the vast majority of people don't even need one, yet they can't stop walking around yammering away and texting on them for no real reason at all. This is just another useless device for assholes. I can hardly wait to see when it starts killing all these idiots who are going to be distracted walking into traffic, etc. from wearing those stupid things. People that fill the emptiness in their life with needless toys are just sad.

So you want to see people wearing these get killed - who's the asshole here? I realise you don't mean this literally but even figuratively, that's bullshit.

People yammer away and text a lot because they want to. Because they're communicating with friends and loved ones - the people who perhaps make their life fulfilled. Even if they're just playing games or reading web pages, so? Why is this a problem for you? In what way is people doing what they want to do with what they want to use a bad thing? The vast majority of people do not need cell phones, but they want one and if they can afford it, why not?

Do you not do anything that's not needed? Since you're posting here, I'm pretty sure you do - with all due respect to Blue, this site isn't needed. It's a hobby (for us, not Blue), we play games and we read about games because we like it. I also play games or text friends because I like it and ultimately yes, it's a needless toy, but I like it and that's no one's business but mine.

You sound like the sort of douche bag poser you are talking about, except your particular brand of posing is to think you're too cool to use a gadget.

You are presumably an adult, if you can easily afford $1500, yet you're posting on a website about games - is that not just as much filling your life with needless toys?

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2013, 21:08.

- Quboid

15. look whos a big boy! Feb 23, 2013, 20:56 Orphic Resonance

YEH, SO THERE!

Nahnah

14. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 20:39 Cutter

Fibrocyte wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 20:05:

I can afford it easily. I'm just not a douchebag that's attached to gadgets I don't need. Even cell phones, the vast majority of people don't even need one, yet they can't stop walking around yammering away and texting on them for no real reason at all. This is just another useless device for assholes. I can hardly wait to see when it starts killing all these idiots who are going to be distracted walking into traffic, etc. from wearing those stupid things. People that fill the emptiness in their life with needless toys are just sad.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

13. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 20:12 Quboid

Is GoPro anything more than a camera? Google Glass is a lot more; directions, local information and augmented reality stuff - much of what a smartphone does.

I'm not saying it's worth $1500, or whatever the consumer price will be as I'm sure it will be horribly expensive, but I think it's a very cool project. Not cool in the traditional sense of course as wearing this will make you look very odd, particularly at first. I don't see why having this is a sign that you're a pathetic douche bag, why do you say that Cutter?

It's sort of like how wearing a Bluetooth headset looked odd, although I don't really understand the whole Blue-tool objection some people have. Wearing a Bluetooth headset makes you look like a taxi driver - there's nothing wrong with that, but there's nothing particularly great about it either.

I wonder what the Google Glass's battery life is like. Streaming video to and from the glasses, with GPS and the display on, all while being small and light enough to wear as glasses ... about 3 minutes?

killer_roach, I'd guess you could get prescription lenses for it. They probably wouldn't be cheap, but Google would be crazy not to offer this in some way.

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2013, 20:18.

- Quboid

12. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 20:05 Fibrocyte

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo