Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Mobilization

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

11. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 17:03 Frijoles

mag wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 14:14:
Very excited about augmented reality, but Google Glass is just a voice-activated, Twitter-enabled, head-mounted GoPro. For $1500. Durr.

I don't believe the GoPro projects an image over your eye.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 16:41 PHJF

It'd be like I'd get the tech for $700 (yes, my glasses cost that much - shut up).

Thank the Italians for that.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 15:24 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 15:17:
Google glasses - $1500 to show the world what a pathetic douchebag you are.

If they worked with existing prescription glasses, $1500 would be less than the cost of two pairs of glasses for me. It'd be like I'd get the tech for $700 (yes, my glasses cost that much - shut up).

Then again, that's probably not how that works.

Also, the "under $1500" number appears only in reference to developer models, which tend to sell for considerably more than consumer-targeted devices.

8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 15:17 Cutter

Google glasses - $1500 to show the world what a pathetic douchebag you are.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 15:09 Cutter

Propaganda much? An Iphone didn't save him, an object that changed a bullet's trajectory did. Why wasn't he wearing body armour?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 14:49 Quboid

Even encrypted signals can be used to find where someone is - it doesn't matter what the signal is transmitting, just the direction it's coming from.

I suppose in Airplane mode it is safe but I'd want to be damn sure everyone in my squad has it set properly. It's not like actually in an aircraft were half the people ignore the warnings to turn off electronic devices - my iPod (yep, still have one, 40 hours of continuous playing is battery life my smartphone can only dream of) can't be switched off, only put into sleep mode.

This seems very strange to me, but it is technically possible that they've looked into it and know rather more than me.

- Quboid

5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 14:20 Tom

Head-mounted GoPro? Uh huh. Last I checked, they didn't make a GoPro in the glasses form factor.  

4. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 14:14 mag

Very excited about augmented reality, but Google Glass is just a voice-activated, Twitter-enabled, head-mounted GoPro. For $1500. Durr.  

3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 14:06 Wowbagger_TIP

Quboid wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 13:31:
Why would a soldier in combat have an iPhone, except to act as body armour? Isn't that all kinds of dangerous?

It could give away his position (by triangulating its cell connection), photos could be geotagged or give away sensitive information - if nothing else, aren't they already carrying masses of heavy shit? I know it's only about 100g but that's 100g more than necessary. Is there a great deal of time for playing Fruit Ninja anyway?

Could possibly just be in a non-communicative mode and he keeps it with him because it's got all the pics of his family on it. Of course I remember talk a while back of the Army wanting soldiers to carry smartphones for intelligence gathering and potentially easier communication with commanders. I think they were talking about encrypted communications though, and I don't know what risks might be involved with tower communications.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 13:31 Quboid

Why would a soldier in combat have an iPhone, except to act as body armour? Isn't that all kinds of dangerous?

It could give away his position (by triangulating its cell connection), photos could be geotagged or give away sensitive information - if nothing else, aren't they already carrying masses of heavy shit? I know it's only about 100g but that's 100g more than necessary. Is there a great deal of time for playing Fruit Ninja anyway?

- Quboid

1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 12:31 killer_roach

The "free" Nexus 4 is basically the regular price from T-Mobile - you can either pay full price for the phone and get a lower monthly plan, or take $300 off of it and pay $15 extra a month on your plan for the next two years.

Basically just a yawn from me.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo