Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers

Ubisoft is actively seeking to improve its relationship with the PC gaming community, as seen in comments on MCV that acknowledge the damage the publisher's recent actions have caused in that area, in particular, their recently ended "always on" DRM policy. "Announcing all these partners for Uplay and a wider choice of PC games, it shows our commitment to PC, and we want to improve out [sic] relationship with the PC community," Ubisoft's worldwide Uplay director Stephanie Perotti told them. "We are always seeking to improve. We took a lot of that feedback on board. With every game on PC we are improving. Far Cry 3 and Assassin’s Creed III on PC were very high quality."

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

39. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 15:15 Optional Nickname!

Kajetan wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 14:21:

Like, not putting features in their games which do only work when connected. Features, which are essential in later game play stages like in Anno 2070.

Could you please be more specific? I enjoy Anno 1404, and the DRM was (and is) slightly annoying by making moving and installing the game more complicated than it need be but there is no on-line requirement for any objective or bonus. There are some freebie DLC and bonus on-line items, but nothing part of the game or expansion.

Anno 2070 has far too many DLC packs and expansions to even list.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 15:14 Quboid

Your comment was about how PC gamers bitch, so you were agreeing with him on that point. You are claiming to disagree now, but you're switched to arguing about piracy, not bitching.

How much piracy is there on the Xbox and PS3 compared to the PC? I don't think he's blaming every PC user who wanted a port, he was just stating that many who want a port wouldn't pay for it. He's right.

- Quboid

37. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 15:13 SpectralMeat

It's not like EA or Activision thinks of PC gamers any more respectfully. They may not say it quiet like that dummy from Ubi did but that doesn't change the way they handle PC as a platform.
Do you guys remember CliffyB and his comments about PC gamers a while back?

Steam: SpectralMeat

36. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 15:12 Verno

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 14:53:
Are you folks all still using dial up or something? Aren't you "always-on" to begin with? Gods the things people choose to complain about amaze me.

I'm pretty sure you joined others in complaining about that aspect of Diablo 3. Just sayin. For the record Creston does have really shitty internet BTW so it will directly affect him.

Personally always on functionality doesn't bother me too much provided it isn't shoehorned into otherwise singleplayer experiences. When it's used as glorified DRM in disguise though (we need it for leaderboards, honest!), that's just silly and worth a bitch on the internet.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

35. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 15:08 ASeven

Quboid wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 15:07:
ASeven wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 15:05:
Quboid wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 15:02:
ASeven wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 14:51:
Remember that Ubisoft once said this about PC gamers.

In fairness, he's right - both about rampant piracy and that PC users bitch a lot. However, that's at best a stupid comment for someone representing Ubisoft. Even if he's not releasing a PC version, other Ubisoft studios were. He blamed it on his poor grasp of English but somehow I doubt he thought "bitch" meant "engage in respect debate".

But remember, PC gamers bitch a lot because they do have valid reasons to bitch, with publishers treating us as second or third class citizens. When you're treated like shit you tend to bitch a lot.

So you agree with him?

No. Not in the way he said since he is blaming everyone for piracy, including the people who would buy the game.

And I also would like to point that piracy is rampant regardless of platform.

34. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 15:07 Quboid

ASeven wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 15:05:

In fairness, he's right - both about rampant piracy and that PC users bitch a lot. However, that's at best a stupid comment for someone representing Ubisoft. Even if he's not releasing a PC version, other Ubisoft studios were. He blamed it on his poor grasp of English but somehow I doubt he thought "bitch" meant "engage in respect debate".

But remember, PC gamers bitch a lot because they do have valid reasons to bitch, with publishers treating us as second or third class citizens. When you're treated like shit you tend to bitch a lot.

So you agree with him?

- Quboid

33. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 15:05 ASeven

32. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 15:02 Quboid

Edit; RollinThundr:
Many people aren't always online (e.g. using a laptop while travelling) and I'm more worried about whether or not they are online. On launch day, there will probably be problems. After that, there may be problems. Eventually, they *will* switch off their server and then your game is useless. I accept this requirement for an MMO where it is essential but for any other sort of game, no.

I choose when to play it, they do not.

- Quboid

31. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 14:53 RollinThundr

Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 11:42:
Oh, fucking great.

Re: Watch dogs

“Watch Dogs is all about hyperconnectivity,” said Morin. “To me, that has to mean all the time and anywhere. So yes, other people are out there all the time, when you don’t expect it. Whether you’re playing single-player or multiplayer, it’s happening. You’re saying asynchronous but it’s much more real-time than that…”

So, always-on then?

Creston

Are you folks all still using dial up or something? Aren't you "always-on" to begin with? Gods the things people choose to complain about amaze me.

30. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 14:51 ASeven

29. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 14:46 Keilun

Kajetan wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 14:21:
avianflu wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 13:42:
Pure PR spin - it doesnt actually say anything or promise anything specific.
Yep, just some words. I want to see deeds from Ubi. Like, not putting features in their games which do only work when connected. Features, which are essential in later game play stages like in Anno 2070.

Yep. This is the main reason I never purchased Might and Magic Heroes 6, despite being a huge fan of that series.

Uplay needs a complete overhaul to either be more integrated in the game and actually add to the experience or just gtfo. Right now Uplay just seems to always get in my way - vaguely similar to GWFL, with less polish.

28. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 14:37 Verno

Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 14:31:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 13:08:
I think that would be a pretty awesome way to play the game. You ever know who is real person and who is Ai.
I think there was a hint for that in their first trailer that they've showed way back right at the end when the camera pulled back and you could see all the other real players in the city.

With that said hopefully they will have an offline mode of some sort.

It'd be cool in multiplayer, but I don't want it in my single player. I don't want my single player to be infested with other players doing whatever. The way they make it sound is as if there actually really is no single player, you can just play it, and hope nobody interferes with you... :|

I used to worry about that with Dark Souls/Demons Souls but honestly the informal PvP and co-op really ended up making the game. I doubt Watch_Dogs will really contain that sort of stuff though, it sounds like pseudo-marketing bullshit.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

27. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 14:31 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 13:08:
I think that would be a pretty awesome way to play the game. You ever know who is real person and who is Ai.
I think there was a hint for that in their first trailer that they've showed way back right at the end when the camera pulled back and you could see all the other real players in the city.

With that said hopefully they will have an offline mode of some sort.

It'd be cool in multiplayer, but I don't want it in my single player. I don't want my single player to be infested with other players doing whatever. The way they make it sound is as if there actually really is no single player, you can just play it, and hope nobody interferes with you...

creston

26. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 14:21 Kajetan

avianflu wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 13:42:
Yep, just some words. I want to see deeds from Ubi. Like, not putting features in their games which do only work when connected. Features, which are essential in later game play stages like in Anno 2070.

25. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 14:19 Cutter

Shut up Ubisoft! When the consoles launch you won't hear a fucking peep out of Ubisoft about the PC ever again.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

24. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 14:07 theyarecomingforyou

Fletch wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 13:34:
Not interested. Ubisoft has been given a lifetime ban from my PC (and I don't do consoles).
You say that as if you don't pirate all your games anyway.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

23. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 13:42 avianflu

22. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 13:37 Cabezone

Far Cry 3 is also getting a lot more post release support than Ubisoft used to allow in the past. I found the UI so intrusive I couldn't play it but they patched that out. They also are patching in another requested feature, resetting the towers and bases.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

21. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 13:34 Omega Jimes

I swore off Ubisoft when they went crazy DRM. I'm glad they backed off of that. When Far Cry 3 was released I may have acquired it unscrupulously but I enjoyed the game so I bought it on steam fully prepared to throw my hands in the air and swear off Ubisoft again. I'm happy to report I'm actually quite pleased with my purchase.

Uplay is annoying but it ended up no different to me than a regular launcher like Skyrim or Guild Wars 2 have. If they keep this PC friendly attitude, I think they can win back the people they screwed over. It will take a long long LOOONG time though, I understand a lot of people got really shafted previously.

20. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 13:34 Fletch

Not interested. Ubisoft has been given a lifetime ban from my PC (and I don't do consoles).  

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo