Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers

Ubisoft is actively seeking to improve its relationship with the PC gaming community, as seen in comments on MCV that acknowledge the damage the publisher's recent actions have caused in that area, in particular, their recently ended "always on" DRM policy. "Announcing all these partners for Uplay and a wider choice of PC games, it shows our commitment to PC, and we want to improve out [sic] relationship with the PC community," Ubisoft's worldwide Uplay director Stephanie Perotti told them. "We are always seeking to improve. We took a lot of that feedback on board. With every game on PC we are improving. Far Cry 3 and Assassin’s Creed III on PC were very high quality."

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

59. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Mar 1, 2013, 12:42 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 12:29:
Verno wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 09:54:
Or maybe he just speaks for himself, whoa amazing! Rolleyes
No, definitely "living parody".

http://i.imgur.com/eghTUue.jpg

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Mar 1, 2013, 12:29 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 09:54:
No, definitely "living parody".

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

57. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Mar 1, 2013, 09:54 Verno

Quinn wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 19:18:
Closed Betas wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 18:39:
Lol, cry on Ubisoft, your household ban will remain forever, you don't get to play dictator, and when it has failed in your face, come crying home, ok sorry we will change..... We will be united and see you fall of the face of the earth in the corruptilism world you dream of... facist consumers is what you have bred

Dear Queen Drama,

You are the living parody defining the Bluesnews community.

Kind regards,
Quinn

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

56. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 28, 2013, 19:18 Quinn

Closed Betas wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 18:39:
Lol, cry on Ubisoft, your household ban will remain forever, you don't get to play dictator, and when it has failed in your face, come crying home, ok sorry we will change..... We will be united and see you fall of the face of the earth in the corruptilism world you dream of... facist consumers is what you have bred

Dear Queen Drama,

You are the living parody defining the Bluesnews community.

Kind regards,
Quinn

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

55. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 28, 2013, 18:39 Closed Betas

54. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 28, 2013, 13:06 theyarecomingforyou

Jerykk wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 05:17:
Of which anti-consumer practices do you speak? Not selling their newer games on Steam and requiring Origin is pretty lame but at least Origin is better than Uplay. Uplay is utterly worthless.

EA's anti-consumer practices:

1) Boycotting Steam
2) Pay-2-Win
3) Obscene pricing (£40-45 for most new games, when on Steam they're typically under £30)
4) Draconian ToS conditions
5) Shutting down servers for games less than a year old

Now I don't expect every publisher to live up to my high expectations but at some point I have to draw the line and EA doesn't even come close to making the cut.

UPlay is an inconvenience but at least it's relatively innocuous; it's easily preferable to GFWL. Origin is an alright client and I don't even have any problem with games on Steam requiring it but I personally like to buy all my games on Steam for practicality and for the community features.

53. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 24, 2013, 06:34 yonder

Jerykk wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 05:17:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 06:53:
Julio wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 19:30:
Ubi should drop the PC as a platform
Fuck you. If you don't like Ubisoft games then don't buy them but leave the rest of us that do out of it. Ubisoft has backed away from limited-activations and always-on requirements because of pressure from PC gamers and FC3's UPlay implementation, while unnecessary, was pretty innocuous. If anything PC gamers should support Ubisoft for responding to the community. Currently I refuse to buy EA games due to its anti-consumer practices - like I used to do with Ubisoft - but if EA were to reform its ways then I'd change my position.

Of which anti-consumer practices do you speak? Not selling their newer games on Steam and requiring Origin is pretty lame but at least Origin is better than Uplay. Uplay is utterly worthless.

Despite Uplay's crappiness, I'd prefer that Ubisoft continue to support the PC and put more effort into doing so. Timely, quality ports is a good start.

1)The guy's a dick. Obviously.

2)Even dicks might accidentally have legitimate points.

He's *basically* saying that as bad as Ubi is, EA is currently worse.

And currently... he's right. UPlay is a pile of crap, but Origin is worse. If you were asked which company currently has worse anti-gamer policies and you *HAD* to give one legit answer, the answer would be EA.

And that's pretty damned terrible.

EA isn't as bad as Ubi used to be, but they're worse than Ubi is now.

Mind you, I have too much self-respect to buy Ubi PC games for at least a few more years. You don't stop punishing a repeat offender the instant he stops offending. I also won't buy EA PC games for years. This dick just obviously has much, much, much lower standards than you or I do, or most of the BN community (sorta like the standards for cordiality, since "Fuck you" is a legitimate response in his mind), but he does have SOME standards.

It's sorta like a broken clock being right twice a day (unless it's digital).

Now... that being said... the short version of my response to UbiSoft is this:

How many years did you treat me like a criminal? That's the minimum number of years that it'll take for me until I'm ready to buy PC games from Ubi again.

52. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 24, 2013, 05:17 Jerykk

Fuck you. If you don't like Ubisoft games then don't buy them but leave the rest of us that do out of it. Ubisoft has backed away from limited-activations and always-on requirements because of pressure from PC gamers and FC3's UPlay implementation, while unnecessary, was pretty innocuous. If anything PC gamers should support Ubisoft for responding to the community. Currently I refuse to buy EA games due to its anti-consumer practices - like I used to do with Ubisoft - but if EA were to reform its ways then I'd change my position.

Despite Uplay's crappiness, I'd prefer that Ubisoft continue to support the PC and put more effort into doing so. Timely, quality ports is a good start.

51. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 23, 2013, 19:34 AlexSledge

If you want to improve your relationship with me, Ubisoft, create a follow up to (or remake of) Pod.  
I should be coding.

50. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 23, 2013, 18:49 Julio

Fuck you. If you don't like Ubisoft games then don't buy them but leave the rest of us that do out of it.

And I return the fuck you. Go back to your desk at Ubisoft and try to screw consumers out of more money and give them rootkits.

49. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 23, 2013, 07:03 Quinn

Endo wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 23:14:
Too late Ubisoft, everyone hates you now.

Know the appropriate adage?

You made your bed, now lie in it.

Speak for yourself, bitter man.

I still love Heroes VI and although AC3 didn't push my right buttons, it was still obvious to me that it was a high quality game even for PC standards.

I don't hate Ubisoft. And since I'm not in the army moaning like a little bitch that I can't play game X because I'm on the middle of the ocean... I also don't hate Uplay.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

48. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 23, 2013, 06:53 theyarecomingforyou

47. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 23:14 Endo

Too late Ubisoft, everyone hates you now.

Know the appropriate adage?

You made your bed, now lie in it.

46. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 19:30 Julio

Too little too late, my PC is Ubi-free and it will stay that way. Ubi should drop the PC as a platform, as they don't respect those who game on their PCs. Do they really think we're as stupid as the women who go back to an abusive husband?

They can shove their buggy, uplay, rootkit, always online DRM games where the sun don't shine.

45. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 18:55 Saboth

Ditch UPlay completely and I'll buy your games again. I don't want to sign up, log in, have internet on, just to play single player games that do not require internet connection in the first place.  

44. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 17:36 Marvin T. Martian

Fletch wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 16:12:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 14:07:
Fletch wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 13:34:
Not interested. Ubisoft has been given a lifetime ban from my PC (and I don't do consoles).
You say that as if you don't pirate all your games anyway.

Uh-oh, some console kiddie has her panties in a bunch! Yeah... I'm a PC-only gamer, so I must be a pirate. You work for Ubisoft?

PLONK #4

and those console games are never pirated--right? Or the consoles 'unlocked' (ahem hacked) to play illegal stuff???

43. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 16:12 Fletch

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 14:07:
Fletch wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 13:34:
Not interested. Ubisoft has been given a lifetime ban from my PC (and I don't do consoles).
You say that as if you don't pirate all your games anyway.

Uh-oh, some console kiddie has her panties in a bunch! Yeah... I'm a PC-only gamer, so I must be a pirate. You work for Ubisoft?

PLONK #4

42. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 15:29 Quboid

I said no such thing. I do believe that significant sales are lost due to piracy but I didn't even say that, and that's not at all the same as assuming a 1:1 ratio.

While I do think piracy is a problem, I agree with you that they handle it badly. It's like forcing people to watch anti-piracy notices before a film (hey, you know who isn't annoyed by those? Pirates, dumbasses!), they're being as counter-productive as they could be.

- Quboid

41. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 15:28 Cabezone

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 14:53:
Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 11:42:
Oh, fucking great.

Re: Watch dogs

“Watch Dogs is all about hyperconnectivity,” said Morin. “To me, that has to mean all the time and anywhere. So yes, other people are out there all the time, when you don’t expect it. Whether you’re playing single-player or multiplayer, it’s happening. You’re saying asynchronous but it’s much more real-time than that…”

So, always-on then?

Creston

Are you folks all still using dial up or something? Aren't you "always-on" to begin with? Gods the things people choose to complain about amaze me.

So in your fantasy land authentication servers are up 24/7 and never go down...like say at launch....for days.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

40. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 15:22 ASeven

Quboid wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 15:14:
Your comment was about how PC gamers bitch, so you were agreeing with him on that point. You are claiming to disagree now, but you're switched to arguing about piracy, not bitching.

How much piracy is there on the Xbox and PS3 compared to the PC? I don't think he's blaming every PC user who wanted a port, he was just stating that many who want a port wouldn't pay for it. He's right.

I don't disagree with PC gamers bitching, because they are given more than enough reason to bitch of all gamers, and often said bitching usually ends up being about valid points. I disagree with his attitude, and share your opinion that his words were badly chosen.

As for piracy on consoles, games leak for consoles weeks, even months, ahead of release while on the PC it's becoming more usual for games to be cracked a day or two after release. But saying that an unreleased game would be massively pirated, as he and you are implying, is wrong, because you really have no idea of how much pirated copies will be made and how many people will buy after trying the pirated copy. Both him and you seem to fall on the fallacy of a pirated copy is a lost sale.

Also, piracy is inevitable. Bitching about it, as he was doing, is pointless. It will happen, regardless of platform. Maybe if he and publishers adopted the tactics of Notch of turning pirates to customers piracy would cease to be such a problem.

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo