Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torment Sequel Gets New Name, Website

A new Torment: Tides of Numenera website is online, revealing a new title for inXile entertainment's upcoming PlaneScape Torment follow-up. In addition to the title change, the site offers information on the RPG sequel, as swell as wallpapers and a community forum. It also paves the way for the game's future crowdfunding efforts, as they are discussing backer rewards and the future direction of the project with their community. Thanks PC Gamer.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Torment Sequel Gets New Name, Website Feb 23, 2013, 18:04 Optional Nickname!

mag wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 10:41:
Nowhere is it called a sequel. It's a 'thematic successor.' It has Chris Avellone's blessing as that. D&D licenses are impossible to get, and tie your hands with what you can do, and Planescape is a dead setting in new-D&D.

You are correct on all points but that does not weaken my position, especially the semantic ones...I do recall Chris Avellone having given his blessing over the project and here is a relevant c&p (from polygon.com 12/03/12) on that:

"As you may recall, Chris [Avellone] mentioned his ideas for a spiritual successor to Torment with some frequency over the summer. This stemmed (at least in part) from discussions he and I were having about the possibility of resurrecting the IP, and this led to my reaching out to Wizards of the Coast. That did not yield fruit, but it did get the two of us talking about what we'd like to see in any regard, and we both agreed that Planescape was not the best route for us to take anyway, due to the mechanical issues and editorial oversight WotC would want.

The Project: Eternity Kickstarter took them in a different direction than a direct successor. I told Chris that I would not work on a Torment successor without his approval. We talked about it for a bit, and he told me that he was entirely comfortable with me moving forward on a Torment game without him, and he gave me his explicit blessing to do it.

Right now he's incredibly involved with Project: Eternity, and I do not want to distract him from a project that is incredibly important to his company. With that said, I would be happy - no, wait, overjoyed - to have him on board in any capacity whatsoever."

Few people other than Monte Cook could even begin to understand the complexities of what he's undertaking but it must be made clear that the D&D Alignment Matrix of Lawful Good, Neutral, Chaotic Evil and its variants was the philosophical basis for the realities of the planes. Without that foundation available you can not build the 'consensus reality' of the planes, especially in a new setting.

Licensing be damned to Carceri! As not even the Lady of Pain would keep a Cutter from using the Planescape setting for a right proper 'thematic successor'.

IMNSHO, simply reword the title to "Tides of Numenera: Torment" and solve a number of problems instantly.

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2013, 18:09.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Torment Sequel Gets New Name, Website Feb 23, 2013, 10:41 mag

Optional Nickname! wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 15:29:
I would like to suggest that not only can Chris Avellone (and his worthy band) decide what can be labeled as a sequel to Planescape: Torment but that the unique and all-encompassing, established setting of D&D's Planescape is the only setting for a sequel.

"Torment" is the theme in "Planescape". A sequel would correctly be called "Planescape: Something After Torment" set in that D&D milieu, not new IP and certainly not in something other than D&D.

Why is this critical? One of Ps:T's most successful elements was that walking the planes was a well understood, eagerly anticipated, primary goal of many pen and pencil D&D players. It's where the gods and goddesses and their agents and subjects live, removed from mortal and mundane life.

Ps:T the game acted as an inspired AI Dungeon Master for a complex Planescape campaign envisioned as the ceremonial end of an epic-level PC D&D 'career'. Does this new title presume to offer that same sweeping scope in that same setting? If not, why name it PS:Ts sequel?

p.s. I do have a copy of Monte Cook's Planewalker's Handbook, this is not directed at Mr. Cook's authority or vast experience.

Nowhere is it called a sequel. It's a 'thematic successor.' It has Chris Avellone's blessing as that. D&D licenses are impossible to get, and tie your hands with what you can do, and Planescape is a dead setting in new-D&D.

9. Re: Torment Sequel Gets New Name, Website Feb 23, 2013, 10:27 nin

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 03:17:
nin wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 10:56:
Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 10:53:
It looks really interesting. I hope they'll wait with Kickstarting it until they are (almost) done with Wasteland 2, but I'll definitely be kicking in.

Creston

For some reason, I just assumed they'd start it soon, and I hope it doesn't impact Wasteland. But I will say Wasteland looked exactly what I was hoping it would be, in that last video.

Now we need some shadowrun video.

Yeah, I'm not sure which game I'm more excited about. Shadowrun has a new dev diary up that talks more about the dev tools they plan to release. Can't wait to see the stuff that people start making with those!

I've not read that whole update yet, but I hope their editor either eventually add steam workshop support or has an in game browser/downloader.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Torment Sequel Gets New Name, Website Feb 23, 2013, 03:17 Wowbagger_TIP

nin wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 10:56:
It looks really interesting. I hope they'll wait with Kickstarting it until they are (almost) done with Wasteland 2, but I'll definitely be kicking in.

Creston

For some reason, I just assumed they'd start it soon, and I hope it doesn't impact Wasteland. But I will say Wasteland looked exactly what I was hoping it would be, in that last video.

Yeah, I'm not sure which game I'm more excited about. Shadowrun has a new dev diary up that talks more about the dev tools they plan to release. Can't wait to see the stuff that people start making with those!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

7. Re: Torment Sequel Gets New Name, Website Feb 22, 2013, 15:29 Optional Nickname!

I would like to suggest that not only can Chris Avellone (and his worthy band) decide what can be labeled as a sequel to Planescape: Torment but that the unique and all-encompassing, established setting of D&D's Planescape is the only setting for a sequel.

"Torment" is the theme in "Planescape". A sequel would correctly be called "Planescape: Something After Torment" set in that D&D milieu, not new IP and certainly not in something other than D&D.

Why is this critical? One of Ps:T's most successful elements was that walking the planes was a well understood, eagerly anticipated, primary goal of many pen and pencil D&D players. It's where the gods and goddesses and their agents and subjects live, removed from mortal and mundane life.

Ps:T the game acted as an inspired AI Dungeon Master for a complex Planescape campaign envisioned as the ceremonial end of an epic-level PC D&D 'career'. Does this new title presume to offer that same sweeping scope in that same setting? If not, why name it PS:Ts sequel?

p.s. I do have a copy of Monte Cook's Planewalker's Handbook, this is not directed at Mr. Cook's authority or vast experience.

This comment was edited on Feb 22, 2013, 15:44.

6. Re: Torment Sequel Gets New Name, Website Feb 22, 2013, 11:32 Sho

Phew, to be honest, I'm hoping they'll wait a while with starting the campaign. I loved PS:T and want to back this, but between having pledged for two somewhat similar games already (Wasteland 2, Project Eternity) and throwing a rather high sum at Dreamfall Chapters I got a spell of Kickstarter fatigue right about now. If this started tomorrow, I'm not sure I'd put in very much. And I'd rather be clamoring for this.

Maybe there's a sort of Kickstarter refractory period. Give me some time to get it back up again, inXile!

5. Re: Torment Sequel Gets New Name, Website Feb 22, 2013, 11:25 John

Me too! Bring on the KS.

This space is available for rent

4. Re: Torment Sequel Gets New Name, Website Feb 22, 2013, 11:24 Creston

My worry about them starting soon is that they haven't even finished their first kickstarter, and then they're doing another? There will be billions of questions about whether this will affect Wasteland 2's progress, etc. Also, there will undoubtedly be quite a few people who will say "I already gave you money, so far you haven't given me anything back for it, and now you want MORE money for another game? How about you produce something first?" All of this will definitely hurt the amount of money they'd get.

It'd be far smarter for them to just delay this until Wasteland 2 is (almost) done. I think their Torment Kickstarter would do much better if they did.

Creston

3. Re: Torment Sequel Gets New Name, Website Feb 22, 2013, 10:56 nin

Creston

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Torment Sequel Gets New Name, Website Feb 22, 2013, 10:53 Creston

Creston

1. Re: Torment Sequel Gets New Name, Website Feb 22, 2013, 10:28 Riker

Numanumanuma. Nice job.  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo