Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 23, 2013, 19:38 AlexSledge

ME: Google Isn't Trying Hard Enough To Make The RIAA Disappear From The Internet.  
I should be coding.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 23, 2013, 11:07 Beamer

Easy possible solution: Google should give rights owners reduced rates on the top spot in Adwords for that keyword.

So the label can choose the first ad for when someone searches Miley Cyrus Download. They can put a link to iTunes there, Amazon, Miley's website, whatever they hell they want.

Not for free. Reduced. And not in the search, in the ads. I think they would likely find some conversion rate there, but the low one people here are predicting.

If I were them I would be more concerned with Spotify, anyway. I actually stopped pirating music years ago (which, incidentally, mostly tied into my stopping listening to new music), but Spotify has entirely changed how I listen to music. I have no interest in buying any older stuff now, either, or the few rare new bands I get into. If something isn't on Spotify it doesn't exist to me, even if I legally own the mp3s somewhere. And I'm doing all this for free, legally.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. No subject Feb 23, 2013, 00:43 D_K_night

hey RIAA:

I heard that times have been tough, and your workforce ain't what it used to be.

maybe it's time to bury the hatchet.

21. Re: analysis complete Feb 22, 2013, 19:35 Julio

I'm not sure why it's Google's responsibility to do the RIAA's job for them for free. They should charge the RIAA for every takedown.  

20. analysis complete Feb 22, 2013, 16:30 Orphic Resonance

nin wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 15:53:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 15:52:
Google doesn't pirate music, people pirate music.

And to rephrase the next line in that popular argument:

"But google makes it a lot easier."

So do computers, and electricity, and plastic, and metal, and hands, and bones, and atoms, and..

Wow this shit is complicated

19. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 22, 2013, 15:53 nin

jdreyer wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 15:52:

And to rephrase the next line in that popular argument:

"But google makes it a lot easier."

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 22, 2013, 15:52 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

17. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 22, 2013, 15:20 Yosemite Sam

The music industry robbed the artists and public blind for decades, because they were the only ones who could connect the two via records\tapes\CDs. We don't need you anymore, you are obsolete, die already.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 22, 2013, 14:44 Quboid

Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 11:00:
I loved this part from the article:

Also, here's the thing that the RIAA just doesn't seem to get. Google's entire business and algorithm are built, ground up, around the idea of understanding what people are looking for when they search, and then taking them to that place. The RIAA might not like it, but the simple fact is that when people are searching for [artist] [track] mp3 and [artist] [track] download, chances are they're not looking to buy, but to download for free.

Ding ding ding! But you can't expect the RIAA to really understand that yet. They're just now coming to terms with the concept that the Internet doesn't just shut down from 5pm CST until 9am CST the next morning. (Which was an old complaint of theirs, that they had to monitor these pirate sites 24/7, which was such a burden)

Creston

That's the one thing I disagree with. I see no reason to think that the RIAA don't understand this, it appears to me that they do understand this (at least to a point) and they want Google to change. They want Google to rewrite their search algorithms based on how they (the MAFIAA) want people to use the internet. That's ridiculous in a whole other way.

The key point in the article IMHO is "The RIAA will never, ever be satisfied, no matter what Google does. Which again, reinforces the idea that it was probably a bad idea to even cave in in the first place".

I can understand these guys being scared of the Internet. When you're top dog, any change can only serve to hurt your position. But they are so clueless, so arrogant and so blind, they can't see that innovation is the answer, not legislation.

- Quboid

15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 22, 2013, 14:00 Orphic Resonance

Rotfl  

14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 22, 2013, 13:59 Mr. Tact

Not applicable for discs I am getting from Netflix, not worth the effort for the one time view.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 22, 2013, 13:56 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 13:52:
I literally give the screen "the bird" every time I see that damn stupid FBI / Interpol warning about copying movies. *ugh*

I laugh, because it's one I ripped from disc.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 22, 2013, 13:52 Mr. Tact

I literally give the screen "the bird" every time I see that damn stupid FBI / Interpol warning about copying movies. *ugh*  

11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 22, 2013, 13:49 Orphic Resonance

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 13:47:
Sometimes I wish I was a raving lunatic with no regard to human life so I could go on a killing spree targeting all the executives of the RIAA and MPAA. Alas, I am far too reasonable and law-abiding.

at least you managed to become a really good whiner!

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 22, 2013, 13:47 Mr. Tact

Sometimes I wish I was a raving lunatic with no regard to human life so I could go on a killing spree targeting all the executives of the RIAA and MPAA. Alas, I am far too reasonable and law-abiding.  

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 22, 2013, 13:47 Orphic Resonance

yeh fuck you RIAA! Middlefinger  

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 22, 2013, 13:37 Cutter

Shut up RIAA!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 22, 2013, 13:26 jdreyer

Team Google: World Police.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 22, 2013, 11:44 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 11:00:
Ding ding ding! But you can't expect the RIAA to really understand that yet. They're just now coming to terms with the concept that the Internet doesn't just shut down from 5pm CST until 9am CST the next morning. (Which was an old complaint of theirs, that they had to monitor these pirate sites 24/7, which was such a burden)Creston

Hell I don't think they've even come to terms with the fact that the world is moving away from physical distribution media.

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 22, 2013, 11:43 eRe4s3r

Inside joke: Here in Germany, a legitimate video site fully legal in Germany, won't show you any 18+ movies before 10pm and after 6am

And they wonder why movie piracy is so high here....

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo