Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Still processing the news of the closure of the UGO, GameSpy, and 1UP websites. As I commented to loonyboi about this, all those properties ending up in the same hands seemed to make some change in this regard inevitable, so it's not like this was completely unexpected, but having all three sites go in the same firing squad is still a little shocking. Best of luck to all of those looking for work as a result of this.

Shocking Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Koutack.
Links: Incredible Images of the Massive New Tunnels Hollowing New York City.
A Snowboard with a Heart of Glass.
Stories: Mark Hamill confirms he is in talks for new Star Wars movie.
New Mexico Seeks New Ways to Protect Homegrown Chile Peppers. Thanks Neutronbeam.
No furor over Adolf Hitler's name on Indian ballot.
Science: Mosquitoes ignore repellent Deet after first exposure. Thanks Slashdot.
Nebulas Are Even More Amazing in 3-D. Says Professor James Cameron.
NASA spots giant, fast-growing sunspot that could lead to big solar flares.
Media: First Person Mario: Endgame. Behind the Scenes.
Grand Theft Auto NPC Doesn't Lie.
Russian Sailors Rescue Dog Stranded on Ice Floe. #tearjerker.
Auction: Springsteen's 'Born To Run' house for sale in NJ.
The Funnies: Dilbert.
High-Functioning Cartoon - Savage Chickens.
The Video Game Entertainment Curve.
Brevity.
Follow-up: Meteor's Sonic Boom Breaks Windows During Karate Class.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2013, 11:25 Redmask

Have you thought of adopting an ad-free membership tier? I would certainly pay to not see advertisements on this site and I feel bad using adblock as it deprives you of revenue. Another perk could be a better mobile version of the site, the current one isn't very good on smartphones. The development of the site hasn't seem to go anywhere in a long time and if that's a revenue issue, there are ways to involve the members in addressing it.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Lifelock Feb 23, 2013, 11:01  Blue 

Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 11:03:
I don't really care one way or the other, but you have a ton of Lifelock ads running. Not sure if you have a policy about ads from companies that have been found to be nothing but a scam.

I will certainly address actual scams, but that article does not state Lifelock is "nothing but a scam" at all, though it notes questionable aspects of their operation and founder, who ended up resigning. In a more current analysis, it seems fairer to say that you might not need to pay for any services they offer, but you can say that about a lot of businesses. You can mow your lawn or call a gardener.

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 16:18:
He hasn't responded to any of the multiple scam ad warnings I have sent him. How many times do I have to see "(insert city here) Mom finds secret to (insert secret here)"

That's a generic filler ad I see on almost every site I visit... I hope I don't need to concern myself you are going to fall for an overblown teeth whitening promise. The bigger problem is that it's appearing instead of an ad that will actually return me revenue, and I'm trying a new ad provider to accomplish that. The Lifelock ads seem to be one of the new outfit's fallback filler ads, and I doubt they pay much of anything either. Hopefully they will be able to replace that with real ads and you won't have to worry about it either way.

Good luck. I want to support the site, but between the takeover ads, loud popups, and scams, I am about to turn them all off again.

Either something has gone completely haywire with how ads are being served locally for you, or you have confused this site with some other, as (having addressed the "scam" thing above) this is the first I've heard of takeover ads or loud popups in the longest time. I'm at a complete loss as to why you would say that.

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2013, 11:09.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

36. Re: Star Wars Feb 23, 2013, 10:31 nin

edaciousx wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 05:00:
Creston wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 02:01:
nin wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 14:46:
I thought he died protecting one of Solo's kids? But I never read the book, for that very reason.

The way it happens was stupid too. The drow Yuuzhan Vong, who control creatures that can manipulate mass fields that are hundreds of thousand of LIGHTYEARS away, send a moon plummeting to this planet to destroy it. Okay.

So right before it hits, Chewie basically shoves Anakin (IIRC) into a hovering Millenium Falcon, and then the moon hits. So to note, Chewie has the time to shove the kid onboard the MF, but doesn't have time to save himself, as the moon basically falls on top of him right then and there.

The Millenium Falcon, however, survives this entire ordeal without a scratch, even though it was within about TEN FEET of Chewbacca when a fucking MOON falls on top of him.

RA Salvatore is the worst fucking science fiction writer ever.

Creston

Wow... so that's how chewbacca died? Oh... my.. god...

Hopefully, if there's ONE change JJ just HAS to make, it's that one, and Chewbacca is alive and well.

It'll be interesting if they continue to sell books that will be out of canon after episodes 7-9, etc. And while I think the time travel/change worked well for the Trek reboot, I don't want that kind of stuff in my Star Wars. IE, I hope they at least attempt to adhere to what's been established (except Chewbacca! ).

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

35. Re: Star Wars Feb 23, 2013, 05:00 edaciousx

Creston wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 02:01:
I thought he died protecting one of Solo's kids? But I never read the book, for that very reason.

The way it happens was stupid too. The drow Yuuzhan Vong, who control creatures that can manipulate mass fields that are hundreds of thousand of LIGHTYEARS away, send a moon plummeting to this planet to destroy it. Okay.

So right before it hits, Chewie basically shoves Anakin (IIRC) into a hovering Millenium Falcon, and then the moon hits. So to note, Chewie has the time to shove the kid onboard the MF, but doesn't have time to save himself, as the moon basically falls on top of him right then and there.

The Millenium Falcon, however, survives this entire ordeal without a scratch, even though it was within about TEN FEET of Chewbacca when a fucking MOON falls on top of him.

Creston

Wow... so that's how chewbacca died? Oh... my.. god...

34. Re: Star Wars Feb 23, 2013, 02:01 Creston

Creston

33. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2013, 22:57 xXBatmanXx

Having a blast with FarCry 3, going to fill that void between SR3 and GTA5.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

32. Re: Lifelock Feb 22, 2013, 21:04 jdreyer

edaciousx wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 18:47:
Wow... first voodooextreme and now gamespy. Hopefully I won't lose bluesnews....

Just be sure to leave Blues whitelisted on your adblock so Blue can keep paying his server fees and have some money left over to buy food for the Gunnar man and Hudson.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

31. Re: Lifelock Feb 22, 2013, 18:47 edaciousx

Wow... first voodooextreme and now gamespy. Hopefully I won't lose bluesnews....  

30. Re: Lifelock Feb 22, 2013, 17:37 Cutter

Orphic Resonance wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 16:26:
Blue,

I don't really care one way or the other, but you have a ton of Lifelock ads running. Not sure if you have a policy about ads from companies that have been found to be nothing but a scam.

Creston

He hasn't responded to any of the multiple scam ad warnings I have sent him. How many times do I have to see "(insert city here) Mom finds secret to (insert secret here)"

Good luck. I want to support the site, but between the takeover ads, loud popups, and scams, I am about to turn them all off again.

Not everyone appreciates such an uncompromising dedication to virtue.

So let us rest securely in the knowledge that total superiority is its own reward.

Excelsior!

Angel

Barney said it best, "When I get sad I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

29. Re: Lifelock Feb 22, 2013, 16:26 Orphic Resonance

Blue,

Creston

Not everyone appreciates such an uncompromising dedication to virtue.

So let us rest securely in the knowledge that total superiority is its own reward.

Excelsior!

Angel

28. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2013, 16:20 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 14:25:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 09:22:

/today is a good day, kinda. My final payment on my Jeep was made and I am free and clear on that - the downside is I just had a new furnace installed and now I have to pay for THAT....and I was thinking about surprising the wife with a NEW Jeep to replace her old one....it is never ending.

I just started socking away $100 a paycheck until I had enough to buy one free and clear. Did it once and have done it ever since. Took some patience but I hated that feeling of paying off one thing and going into another right away.

Between the 1.99% on the vehicle (I love credit unions) and the 0% on the furnace - it is worth the instant satisfaction.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

27. Re: Lifelock Feb 22, 2013, 16:18 xXBatmanXx

Blue,

Creston

26. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2013, 16:06 Cutter

nin wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 14:30:
Easy on the caffeine there, Cutter!

Lol woops. Actually I need caffeine. I'm incredibly hungover from last night. I was down with the sickness.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2013, 15:56 mag

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 13:25:
NegaDeath wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 11:50:
A damn shame B5 might never make it to Blu-Ray.
I loved B5, but the "special effects" would look even worse on Blu-ray.

They had filmed it in widescreen and... on film, in anticipation of a widescreen HD release. And then I think some boneheaded thing or other destroyed the sources for the special effects, so now they can't be redone easily.

24. Re: Star Wars Feb 22, 2013, 15:24 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 11:08:
Am I the only one a little worried about these rumors that Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford are in talks to be in the next Star Wars movie? Mark will be 63 by the time the movie is out, and Harrison will be Seventy-Fucking-Two!

I mean, Mark Hamill now looks like he walked straight off the set of the Walking Dead!

Do we really need a movie about them still? Especially if that is going to clash with the Expanded Universe?

Edit : Love this quote

"When I found out [while making the original trilogy] that ultimate good news/bad news joke the good news is there's a real attractive, hot girl in the universe; the bad news is she's your sister I thought, 'Well, I'm going to wind up like Sir Alec [Guinness]. I'm going to be a lonely old hermit living out in some kind of desert igloo with a couple of robots.'"

Rotfl

Creston

Yeah, I don't feel a need to have either Hamill or Ford in the new Star Wars movies, and I'm a fan of both actors. Gee, why don't we bring back Carrie Fisher while we're at it?

As for living in an igloo with a couple of robots, there are robots and there are ROBOTS. So there could be worse ways to live for sure.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2013, 15:19 jdreyer

Bhruic wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 11:08:
Just because we were talking about it a few days ago.

Today is the 20th anniversary of the premiere of Babylon 5.

Five seasons of B5 can be streamed here, on theWB. There are commercials, but they are quite minimal, maybe 2 or 3 30s commercials per episode. It's not HD, but not bad for free.

22. Re: Star Wars Feb 22, 2013, 14:46 nin

Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 14:34:
nin wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 13:30:
And let's undo this whole "Chewbacca died" horseshit, please!

At least Chewie died in a fairly epic way (I mean, come on, a fucking MOON fell on him!) even if it was ridiculous that they killed him.

The way they killed off Mara Jade was literally the end for me with regards to the Star Wars books. I closed the book and never again read another one. That was just fucking horseshit.

Creston

edit: Still, it shouldn't have happened.

edit again: Here we go, you're correct:

The 1999 novel Vector Prime by R. A. Salvatore (the first in the New Jedi Order series) marks Chewbacca's last chronological appearance in the Star Wars universe. Chewbacca dies when he sacrifices his life to save Han's son Anakin from a collision between the planet Sernpidal and one of its moons. Lumpawaroo and Lowbacca offer to assume Chewbacca's life debt to Solo. Han initially protests, but relents by the end of the series.

Yeah, fuck that. Chewie Lives!

21. Re: Star Wars Feb 22, 2013, 14:34 Creston

nin wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 13:30:
And let's undo this whole "Chewbacca died" horseshit, please!

At least Chewie died in a fairly epic way (I mean, come on, a fucking MOON fell on him!) even if it was ridiculous that they killed him.

The way they killed off Mara Jade was literally the end for me with regards to the Star Wars books. I closed the book and never again read another one. That was just fucking horseshit.

Creston

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2013, 14:30 nin

Easy on the caffeine there, Cutter!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2013, 14:25 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 09:22:

/today is a good day, kinda. My final payment on my Jeep was made and I am free and clear on that - the downside is I just had a new furnace installed and now I have to pay for THAT....and I was thinking about surprising the wife with a NEW Jeep to replace her old one....it is never ending.

I just started socking away $100 a paycheck until I had enough to buy one free and clear. Did it once and have done it ever since. Took some patience but I hated that feeling of paying off one thing and going into another right away.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo