Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO

Ziff Davis is closing down the UGO, 1UP, and GameSpy websites, reports Polygon, based on a memo they say was sent today to employees by CEO Vivek Shah. According to the memo this is to concentrate their efforts on their "flagship" brand in the gaming area, IGN, though the report also includes news of an unspecified number of editorial employee layoffs at IGN. UGO already has a post declaring the site "dead" while 1UP and GameSpy seem unchanged for now, as 1UP's Jeremy Parish tweets: "We won't be killing the site today; I'll post more thoughts later."

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

29. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 19:53 mystery8

There was a time when I'd visit Planet Half-Life, Quake, Wolfentein, Doom and Unreal several times a day and often find new stuff each time. But I stopped that years ago and the Gamespy "Network" kinda died to me when they killed all hosted websites.

All those ancient Quake sites lost to the ether. Sucks how it turned out.

Really glad Blue's News is around and not going anywhere.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 19:52 Ant

MajorD wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 19:35:
KaRRiLLioN wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 19:25:
I was talking to a friend about old gaming sites like Shacknews, etc. What was the gaming site that came out a little before BluesNews way back in the day, something like RedsNews? I can't for the life of me remember.

Redwood's. He show's his smiling face here occasionally.

Stomped.com.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

27. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 19:42 netnerd85

Beamer wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 17:33:
IGN has actually improved quite a bit.
I agree.

26. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 19:42 Cutter

1UP was ok. Gamespy should have died long ago. UGO, who cares?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

25. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 19:40 ELITE

BlueNews - Only gaming site I daily visit as long as i can remember.

Curious - I never go to koutoukuuuu whatever it is (Never remember the name)

Why do people not like it?

24. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 19:38 avianflu

For years and years the "editors in charge" kept hiring college students to do one-off reviews that were (often) really really terrible.

A profound lack of editorial direction drove me away from these websites.

I am not sorry to see these 3 websites go. I am better off reading Amazon reviews.

23. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 19:36 KaRRiLLioN

Ah yes, finally. Man, it was driving me crazy trying to remember, LOL.  

22. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 19:35 MajorD

I was talking to a friend about old gaming sites like Shacknews, etc. What was the gaming site that came out a little before BluesNews way back in the day, something like RedsNews? I can't for the life of me remember.

Redwood's. He show's his smiling face here occasionally.

21. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 19:32 Jivaro

The only other site I ever went to besides Blues and Shacks was VoodooExtreme. (VE3D.com) I miss McBlink.

20. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 19:25 KaRRiLLioN

19. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 19:21 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 17:33:

I haven't really seen any evidence of that, unless Kotaku outpacing them in dumbassery for hits means something. 90% of what they do is hyping whatever buys their ad space and reviewing it according to how much hype it got. When they more or less ran off all of the old forum posters a year or two back now there's just been no reason to even go there.

To be fair, though, Blue's is the only gaming site I even frequent anymore. When the hand-wringing drama that goes with every single gaming forum starts to translate into a site's news stories and interviews it just gets tiring to even try to read most of the stuff out there anymore. Maybe they're grabbing journalistic tips from Headline News, where they like to start stories with, "Doesn't this make you so mad?" or "You're not going to believe this" and manufacture some outrage with each of their stories to grab attention.

18. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 18:51 The_Pink_Tiger

It's a shame that these sites are closing. Even though - I have to admit - I did not frequent them on a regular basis, I appreciate having a wide variety of gaming websites available. But watching websites like this get shut down by the corporate overlords only make me appreciate how good Bluesnews is; seemingly around since forever, it's still independent and provides quality content on a daily basis.

Blue, tell me you aren't going away anytime soon. There's a dearth of worth-while replacements out there and I don't think I could handle a day without my Bluesnews fix...

17. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 18:47 Parias

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 18:15:
End of an era? WTF? A bunch of advertising platforms go offline and it's the "end of an era"? Yeah. Of a mighty shitty era. Good riddance to these fuckers. The less, the better.

Are you new to the internet?

Edit: OK, that was a bit of a harsh response - RollinThundr's reply above echoes my sentiments pretty nicely. I've got some good memories of a few of these sites.

16. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 18:29 RollinThundr

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 18:15:
End of an era? WTF? A bunch of advertising platforms go offline and it's the "end of an era"? Yeah. Of a mighty shitty era. Good riddance to these fuckers. The less, the better.

Every site on the net is an advertising platform including BN. Some of those sites actually had pretty good articles and content and if all the IGN Vault sites get shut down as well, tons of player made game content goes away as well.

15. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 18:18 ASeven

Apparently IGN has been hit with layoffs as well.  

14. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 18:15 CJ_Parker

13. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 17:52 Overon

End of an era for sure. I feel bad for everyone losing their jobs.  

12. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 17:33 Beamer

Or, rather, they give better ratings to smaller games. I think they loved FTL and Orcs Must Die.

Then again, almost anyone that loves those games is ok to me.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 17:32 Quboid

dardin wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 17:08:
Found memories of PlanetQuake and QSpy which eventually became GameSpy3D and an entire network of Planet websites. Definitely a sign of the times. Sad to see anyone lose their job, but at the same time I cannot recall the last time I went to any of those websites.

Likewise - they've got virtually nothing to do with the sites I fondly remember but still a shame to see them go. I worked on PlanetKingpin for a while.

- Quboid

10. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 17:29 jdreyer

I'm surprised 1up lasted this long, actually.

Agree though, it's an end of an era.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo