Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Arma III Steam Exclusive

Full Steam Ahead is a developer blog from Bohemia Interactive announcing their plan to release Arma III exclusively on Steam, saying that they feel this is necessary to allow them to release the military shooter sequel this year. They speak of the efficiencies of only have to code for one distribution platform, the benefits of Steamworks, and the protection provided by Steam DRM. They offer the following list of "preemptive answers" to questions they expect this to provoke:

1. So, when will you release Arma 3 then?
    a. "Soon" has become an overused word, but we are preparing all we need to unveil our plans right this moment.
  2. Do I have to run the game through Steam?
    a. Yes, it will be required to run the game through Steam. We do not believe in always-online types of DRM however, so Offline mode will be supported.
  3. Will I be able to buy a boxed copy of Arma 3?
    a. There will be boxed copies in most regions. These may either be Steam Codes in a retail package, or also contain DVD data (speeding up installation). You will still have to run and update through Steam the first time.
  4. I don't want any of the benefits Steam brings me, so why should I care?
    a. There was a very real chance there would be no Arma 3 this year otherwise.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 22, 2013, 06:28 Raptor

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 16:18:
I would actually like the Arma games if they didn't run like ass on high end hardware, have missions break left and right, and had a bit of polish. Granted it being a Euro dev I'd settle for the first two since it seems really difficult for European devs to actually polish their titles.

For me it's two things that make me not worry about this:

Firstly it's not hard to put out a polished game when everything is scripted and nailed down with gameplay as deep as a puddle, so I'd much rather play a more ambitious EU game by that definition.

And secondly there's always so much community and developer support either through free content, mods or patches that I just don't care.

Some of my best gameplay experiences have come from unoptimized, buggy games.

Some of my best viewing experiences "where you get to sometimes make a decision" have come from AAA titles where it's impossible to do something wrong or in fact have a separate experience from everyone else who tried it.

I'd take the first option any day, since I still consider a game to be something that actually gives you an experience based on what you do not what some guy scripted to happen to you.

So bring on the sleepless nights an end of the year release is better anyways since I have time to update my rig by then and it's dark outside so there's a better excuse for staying indoors.
http://www.upload.ee/image/3090144/arma3_steam_screenshot_01.jpg

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 19:50 DangerDog

I think they need Steamworks for the server browser more than the DRM. In the past BiS has been very generous in removing the disc based protection from Arma games.

17. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 18:45 Julio

Not that I was going to buy this anyways, but sad they're skipping GOG and going with a DRM option instead.  

16. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 18:34 DangerDog

kyleb wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 18:03:
Dev wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 17:01:
they should have a huge pile of cash from all the ARMA 2 sales
Sure, but I'll bet it pales in comparison to what they make off their Virtual Battlespace products. Our governments love to dump buckets of cash on such things.

But it's made by a different company altogether, well separate from BiS. I don't think that carrier command game did so well for them either.

15. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 18:32 RollinThundr

4D-Boxing wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 18:18:
nin wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 17:00:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 16:10:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 16:05:
Bohemia to brick and mortar outlets: HAHA you won't be able to return all the unsold copies of our unoptimized buggy as fuck military rehash ver 3!
I thought you were complaining that there is way too much negativity on the Blues forums lately.
I see you are helping out by bringing all the positivity.

Trollindunder's gotta troll...

nin,

I think you used to many big words. Looks like he needs clarifications.

Not really, just don't see the point of following someone around from thread to thread calling them a troll just because you don't agree with their political views. Pretty petty imo.

14. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 18:18 4D-Boxing

Bohemia to brick and mortar outlets: HAHA you won't be able to return all the unsold copies of our unoptimized buggy as fuck military rehash ver 3!
I thought you were complaining that there is way too much negativity on the Blues forums lately.

nin,

I think you used to many big words. Looks like he needs clarifications.

13. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 18:03 kyleb

Dev wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 17:01:
they should have a huge pile of cash from all the ARMA 2 sales
Sure, but I'll bet it pales in comparison to what they make off their Virtual Battlespace products. Our governments love to dump buckets of cash on such things.

12. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 17:55 DangerDog

Sir Graves wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 17:34:
Boy, would an initial release date be nice. Even a rough guesstimate.

Are we, like, only a matter of a few weeks or month or so away, or will we still be waiting come May or June or beyond? Just cannot wait to play this and the curiosity's killing me and my gaming buds!

Last I read

They implemented PhysX 3.0 in Arma 3 only after having worked on getting PhysX 2.0 in the game, everything needed to be redone. The two imprisoned BiS devs were working on making Arma 3, probably caused a bit of a delay too.

There was suppose to be a release of a "community alpha" many months ago but the decision to switch to PhysX 3 was the reason given for the delay. A hint at a release date for this would be nice, maybe sometime this summer?

I think DayZ standalone took high priority over Arma 3 and it's still not out yet despite being hopeful about releasing it before the end of 2012.

I'm not expecting this to be released till very near the end of 2013.

11. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 17:34 Sir Graves

Boy, would an initial release date be nice. Even a rough guesstimate.

Are we, like, only a matter of a few weeks or month or so away, or will we still be waiting come May or June or beyond? Just cannot wait to play this and the curiosity's killing me and my gaming buds!

10. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 17:30 RollinThundr

And then you troll me so what's your point nin?

9. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 17:01 Dev

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 15:53:
So then it wouldnt be released this year. What gives?
It costs money to stretch development along. Some studios could go bankrupt from a small delay like that (I doubt BI would, they should have a huge pile of cash from all the ARMA 2 sales unless they are spending it all on ferraris , but my point still stands).

8. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 17:00 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 16:18 RollinThundr

Difference being not every one of my posts are negative in nature like the majority of posts on BN.

I would actually like the Arma games if they didn't run like ass on high end hardware, have missions break left and right, and had a bit of polish. Granted it being a Euro dev I'd settle for the first two since it seems really difficult for European devs to actually polish their titles.

6. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 16:10 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

5. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 16:05 RollinThundr

Callaway wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 16:02:
Bohemia to Origin: "Suck our nuts."

4. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 16:02 Callaway

Bohemia to Origin: "Suck our nuts."  

3. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 15:53 Muscular Beaver

So then it wouldnt be released this year. What gives?
ArmA 2 is still running strong and we all know they could use a lot more time polishing their games before releasing them...
Le sigh... looks like I have to finally give in to Steam to be able to keep playing real PC games...

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

2. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 15:36 jacobvandy

Tanto Edge wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 15:31:
And have you explained to your investors that you don't have DayZ to move copies?

Are you sure about that? I wouldn't be surprised if version 2.0 of the mod is the ARMA3 port. Development of the mod is continuing alongside but completely separately from the standalone, though mostly by community members, not Bohemia devs.

1. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 15:31 Tanto Edge

And have you explained to your investors that you don't have DayZ to move copies?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo