Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced

An update on the Legend of Grimrock Website announces development of Legend of Grimrock 2, following up on recent hints about plans to build upon their dungeon crawler with word on a sequel, which does not yet carry a release date. They indicate they plan on posting development updates "as the work progresses," expressing regrets they have not had the certainty about future plans to keep up communications with the community since the release of Legend of Grimrock. They say they contemplated updating the original game before deciding they needed to make a sequel:

Creating a mere DLC or expansion to Grimrock simply would not have felt right. As today’s meeting proved, we still have a lot of ideas we’d like to explore, lots and lots of new content already done (originally made for a DLC/expansion) and a big engine update in the works. Simply put, a DLC would have limited too much what we can do. With a full blown sequel we can raise Grimrock to the next level.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

16. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced Feb 21, 2013, 14:00 ASeven

Nice, can't wait to play it, loved the first one. Love this style of old-school dungeon crawlers. Hope the singleplayer is longer this time though.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced Feb 21, 2013, 13:31 Tanto Edge

Got the game on Steam sale. Five bucks.

So excited. Built a standard party.

Loved it until I got to the Fighters Challenge.

It was challenging up until then and then the Fighters Challenge got me thinking.
So I made this video:
http://youtu.be/o6rZMwCLwXA?t=2m36s

The experience and nostalgia were great, until I realized I could just play through the fucking game without using weapons.
Suddenly the games experience and nostalgia took a backseat to forum posts chastising the game and developers for creating a game where I was better off not suffering their interface and idiot weapon balance.

Yes, it's an indie game, but it's a relatively simple indie game with issues that really shouldn't be issues.

Folks in the community made claims that the developers had intentionally placed each and every piece of treasure to coincide with each and every corpse.

Whatever.
The weapon balance sucks and I am breezing through this game with no weapons.

The interface is okay, but can be frustrating at times.
I don't mind the Magickola Spell Phone, although I'd kill for a 'last spell' button.

Anyhow. Games' good. Has major drawbacks. I'll play the sequel when it drops to five bucks.

Side note: more game developers need to contract or practice interface development.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

14. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced Feb 21, 2013, 13:18 Sacrifice

I took my time playing through the Legend of Grimrock and really enjoyed it. I look forward to the next one. There is some excellent user created content to play in the Steam Workshop. It should satisfy some dungeon crawling urges until the sequel is released.  

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

13. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 21, 2013, 13:17 coldcut

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 12:51:
Well I guess not really. Perhaps they actually mean what they say. That they are gamers that if they answer to anyone it's their gaming customers. They love that old school DM feel. They made what they wanted to, not what they were limited to.
When they released the dungeon editor, they already extended the possibilities of the game engine by a good degree. Some of the levels in the workshop offer much more than the original game did, in terms of gameplay mechanics and graphics.

I'm really looking forward to this. Already, you can get lots and lots of hours of quality gameplay (for free) on the Steam workshop. Legend of Grimrock is one of the few games I felt the need to get all the Steam achievements (okay except the one speed running achievement). Others are Deus Ex Human Revolution (incl. DLC) and my Binding of Isaac Platinum God.

So yeah, can't wait for the new Legend of Grimrock!

12. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced Feb 21, 2013, 13:08 Wetworks

Beat the first game in 28hrs in old school mode according to Steam. Had fun and it scratched an itch but I'm not really jonsing for more. I'll probably pick it up during a Steam sale though.

The combat was fun for a while but a bit shallow for my taste. The puzzles and atmosphere however were great.

11. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced Feb 21, 2013, 12:58 saluk

Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 12:04:
Really? I enjoyed the nostalgia but have no urge to go back after that. I'd imagine a lot of others feel the same?

Your mistake is that thinking others who still enjoy this style of game only enjoy it for nostalgia. Some of us still like this type of rpg for what it provides and want more.

10. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 21, 2013, 12:51 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 12:29:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 12:20:
Really? I enjoyed the nostalgia but have no urge to go back after that. I'd imagine a lot of others feel the same?

Yeah and a lot other will go back again. I think it would also be fair that we should expect improvements as well. They game blew way past their expectations, so why wouldn't you do a follow up? Now you have a following. And you question with Really? Yeah, that's how business works.

Everyone is not the same.

Maybe because it was all they could afford to do at the time and would like to move onto something bigger and better now that they can afford it is why maybe. So yeah, really?

Well I guess not really. Perhaps they actually mean what they say. That they are gamers that if they answer to anyone it's their gaming customers. They love that old school DM feel. They made what they wanted to, not what they were limited to.

Now if they wanted to do something else, great. But I think it's also a smart move to own this niche, since no one else is doing it. So what would you like from them a SP Story game with tacked on Deathmatch? Don't we have enough of those?

It seems other in this thread agree to.... more.

9. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 21, 2013, 12:29 Cutter

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 12:20:

Yeah and a lot other will go back again. I think it would also be fair that we should expect improvements as well. They game blew way past their expectations, so why wouldn't you do a follow up? Now you have a following. And you question with Really? Yeah, that's how business works.

Maybe because it was all they could afford to do at the time and would like to move onto something bigger and better now that they can afford it is why maybe. So yeah, really?

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

8. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 21, 2013, 12:20 HorrorScope

7. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced Feb 21, 2013, 12:04 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

6. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 21, 2013, 12:00 HorrorScope

I think they are smart. They now control that market and for a niche/indy that is perfect. I'm sure at some point they would want to expand their horizons, but they should expand then and keep the Old School Crawler going and improving. I feel that is smart for any indy, do your thing better than anyone else, that creates your identity.

Obsidion going back to BG style, same thing, there is enough there to make a living from a streamlined team. Own it. Then you won't have to be a contractor anymore.

5. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced Feb 21, 2013, 11:50 Sho

Color me surprised, I had sort of expected accusations of milking it by going the way of a sequel.

(Personally I don't care, if it's fairly priced expansion vs. standalone title makes no real diff.)

4. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced Feb 21, 2013, 11:30 nin

I'm glad to see this guys (AlmostHuman) were so successful and are bringing us a sequel.

Agreed. They made some comment right around ship time about being broke, so I'm really really glad it worked out for them.

I will grab this as soon as the steam preorder page is up.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced Feb 21, 2013, 11:29 LittleMe

Awesome.  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

2. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced Feb 21, 2013, 11:20 MajorD

This game (LoG 1) was completely outside the style of games I typically like/enjoy playing, but I'm glad I gave it a whirl, as I really enjoyed it. I liked it so much, I played through it twice. There were a lot of puzzles, which is one of the reasons I liked it so much.

I'm glad to see this guys (AlmostHuman) were so successful and are bringing us a sequel.

1. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced Feb 21, 2013, 11:19 Verno

Cool, liked the first game, it was a nice throwback.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo