Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex Movie Details

Scott Derrickson and C. Robert Cargill, respective director and co-writer of the upcoming Deus Ex movie, discuss plans to adapt the action/RPG series for the silver screen with CraveOnline. Here's a bit from Cargill answering how they plan to avoid the obvious trap that "basically every video game movie has sucked before." He replies:

Yeah. Yeah, the chief philosophy is we’re not making a video game movie, we’re making a cyberpunk movie. We’ve taken a look at what’s worked in video games and what hasn’t, and really what we’ve broken down is what we think the audience really wants, [what] the audience that loves Deus Ex is going to want to see out of a Deus Ex movie. And it’s not a rehashing of the game. What they want to see is, they want to see elements of the game that they love, but they want to see things that they hadn’t quite seen in the game, that the game didn’t allow them to see. So it’s really allowed us to expand upon the things that happened in the game, and the game has such a great cinematic story to begin with that those elements are very easy to extract. But really, at its core, we just keep telling each other, “We’re not making a video game movie, we’re making a cyberpunk movie.” And Scott and I are such big cyberpunk fans from way back in the day that that just really charges us up. Because that’s what’s so great about Deus Ex to begin with, is it really gets cyberpunk. I Eidos Montreal really understood the nature of cyberpunk and made “the” cyberpunk game, and it is just fantastic, and we’ve just had a great time adapting it.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

16. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 11:16 Creston

We're not making a video game movie, we're making a movie based off an RPG. Because those movies have done SO much better!

We'll see. It shouldn't be too hard to make a good Deus Ex movie, but on the flipside, a good Deus Ex movie will draw nowhere NEAR the box office numbers that everyone wants it to get. At which point it'll get "Hollywood'ed" into a piece of shit. I hope it won't, and it can pull an Inception instead...

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 10:44 Raptor

Actually, what he sais is the exact opposite of what I'd like from a Deus Ex movie.

Every video game movie so far has basically taken the "basic vibe" of the game and then made some pointless custom story on it that doesn't match any of the characters.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think "Silent Hill" has been the closest to game adaption yet. I can't remember hating Prince of Persia so that must have been okay as well, but I also don't remember it much so..

If they did Deus Ex 1 as a movie, nothing altered, no "creative freedom" - it would most likely be the best video game based movie ever.

And stop confusing me with talking about Deus Ex and then about Eidos Montreal.
Which is it ? Deus Ex or Deus Ex: HR?
These are two different games from two different mindsets and generations.
DxHR was supposed to be the prequel of Dx1 and it had more futuristic cities, weapons and tech - so you have to be very clear here, since we already had too much creative freedom with that. One of them was a generic cyberpunk fantasy and the other was memorable, so I would prefer a good remake of the original.

I mean JC & Paul Denton, Gunther, Anna Navarre, Manderley, Bob Page, Walton Simons etc. Just off the top of my head there are tons of memorable characters.

Now from that other one we have.. that annoying pointy haired dude and Adam Jensen, so lots more work there.

14. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 10:33 Wallshadows

At least the game they are making a movie on can lend itself to being open with many areas to explore and interpret rather than a closed-box theme most video game movies take.

...unless the director is a fucking idiot, throws all the source material out and does his own thing which makes no sense.

13. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 10:13 Xero

lol, haven't we heard it before that they mention "basically every video game movie has sucked before", and then their movie bombs as well? Ladies n girls, don't get yer high hopes up jus yeet!  

Currently playing: Skyrim

12. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 09:37 nin

Sho wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 09:33:
The obvious Blade Runner aside, I think one of the best cyberpunk movies was actually Strange Days ...

I love that flick, very underrated. I'm not sure I'd call it cyberpunk, but it was a neat story, and I could easily see entertainment eventually broadcasting directly into the skull.

I need to watch that again.

edit: Damn, no blu remster yet.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

11. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 09:33 Sho

The obvious Blade Runner aside, I think one of the best cyberpunk movies was actually Strange Days ...  

10. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 09:32 InBlack

So they are basically making a remake of the Matrix and Johnny Mnemonic. Great....  

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 09:23 loomy

that guy is full of shit. the movie will be bad. go watch wing commander to get an idea  

8. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 09:20 Cutter

Betcha he's never even read a William Gibson or Neal Stephanson book.  

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

7. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 09:15 Lobster

We didn't ask for this.  

6. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 09:07 Sho

Wait, this is the guy who did the awful TDtESS remake? Okay, there go all my hopes ...  

5. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 09:06 wonkawonka

Easter egg references sprinkled through the movie in subtle ways (a poster, an overhead newscast telling a story, etc) are cool. But no more than that. Anyway, the setting really does lend itself to a number of great movies, including the story of DX:HR  

4. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 09:05 Panickd

Yay! Another Sci-fi flick from a horror director who thinks, "How hard can it be." He already destroyed The Day The Earth Stood Still and now he's set his sights on Deus Ex.

"There’s a reason we haven’t had a great cyberpunk movie yet." Blade Runner? The Matrix (sorta)? Arrogant fuck.

3. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 09:02 Sho

Frankly, this sounds like a good approach. I'd like a movie that nails the vibe and the themes, but otherwise is just a strong standalone story, not something that milks the games by way of "oh, I see what you did there!" references. I'm so tired of nostalgia exploitation bullshit. Fuck being faithful, make it your own and just give us a good movie. Storytelling first, franchise second.  

2. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 08:55 Atomic

Just do a screen adaptation of the Deus Ex book "The Icarus Effect" and you should be fine.  

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

1. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 08:55 Verno

There's also a really awful looking COH movie coming out that's direct to dvd starring Tom Sizemore and Vinnie Jones.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo