Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DayZ Mod on Steam

Steam News announces the popular DayZ mod for Arma II: Combined Operations is now available on Valve's service:

Join the scores of desperate survivors in the free award-winning and massively popular persistent multiplayer mod for Arma 2: Combined Operations!

Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive. However the infected are not your only threat. You will be forced to fight for your life against other survivors, over rare necessities like food and water, in your constant battle to survive in this wicked world.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 18:02 DangerDog

jdreyer wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 13:49:
Hasn't this mod pretty much run its course? Are people still playing it?

still some servers running it but the new kid on the block is called "Wasteland"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFSQSgfXH3M

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 17:25 Sir Graves

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 15:05:
I actually thought for a second that the SA had surprise-released last night, when I saw this. Very strange for a new addition to Steam to show up around 3am PST.
I agree, it is kind of strange, especially with the standalone being (presumably) relatively close to release...I hope.
Anywho, people are guesstimating that the DayZ Standalone will be released within the next 4-5 weeks. Apparently Rocket is going on a trip to climb Mount Everest then, and has made statements about wanting to get the initial alpha release out beforehand.
Yeah, that's usually been his MO with the mod the past year; make a huge update and then immediately run off somewhere and disappear for a while (which was, frankly, a bit frustrating at times with mod last summer). So that's probably the plan here, too.

16. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 17:18 Sir Graves

Played the mod a bunch last summer/fall and LOVE it(!), but my friends and I stopped (mainly due to the hacking, bugs and idiot players, but also due to the constant hassle of updating both the mod itself and Arma II beta every time we played) and are anxiously awaiting the standalone, which we hope will address all these issues in various and sundry ways.  

15. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 16:47 jacobvandy

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 16:09:
So did server ops start monitoring the rampant cheating from when this mod was still a few months old? I was able to dismiss some of the annoying engine quirks, but after I saw a Navy destroyer spawn on-top of a city block and a bunch of artillery shells appear out of nowhere I called it quits. Then there was the item duping that ruined the whole point of the game.

Around 6 months ago, almost the entire community had shifted to using private hive servers, rather than regulated, semi-official main hive ones. (Anyone could host a server, but you had to follow all of Rocket's rules as far as administration and not having any custom scripts or content.) This is because hacking was so out of control that server operators NEEDED the ability to take extra steps to combat it. That means many custom scripts that will auto-kick or -ban people for unauthorized actions such as spawning in weapons or other items, detect when they're doing things they really shouldn't be able to such as being in multiple places all over the map within an unrealistic amount of time, etc., and the freedom for admins to be more proactive in policing their server. As for the duping, just about all of those issues have been fixed, either with patches or more custom scripts that prevent people from abusing lag or disconnections. You still see the occasional hacker, but if it's a good server, it will be rectified pretty quickly, by banning the douchebag responsible (on a global list that most servers use to keep out the idiots) and/or rolling back the server to undo any serious damage.

None of that will be a concern for the standalone, though, since everything will be controlled by the server. DayZ Mod's problems with hacking stems from the way the ARMA engine was designed to accommodate the gameplay it was made for -- customized military skirmishes between organized groups of people. There was no concept of having to collect rare items or trolling random people, so client-side scripting was allowed and encouraged for both fun and convenience.

14. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 16:13 ASeven

Dev wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 14:34:
ASeven wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 14:30:
And there's idiots who say mods don't sell games.
WTF! MODS DOANT SALES GAMEZ!

NO U!

13. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 16:09 Mad Max RW

So did server ops start monitoring the rampant cheating from when this mod was still a few months old? I was able to dismiss some of the annoying engine quirks, but after I saw a Navy destroyer spawn on-top of a city block and a bunch of artillery shells appear out of nowhere I called it quits. Then there was the item duping that ruined the whole point of the game.  

12. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 15:05 jacobvandy

I actually thought for a second that the SA had surprise-released last night, when I saw this. Very strange for a new addition to Steam to show up around 3am PST.

Anywho, people are guesstimating that the DayZ Standalone will be released within the next 4-5 weeks. Apparently Rocket is going on a trip to climb Mount Everest then, and has made statements about wanting to get the initial alpha release out beforehand.

11. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 14:34 Dev

ASeven wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 14:30:
WTF! MODS DOANT SALES GAMEZ!

10. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 14:30 ASeven

Amazingly enough the release of this mod on Steam just made ArmaII:CO shoot to the #3 place on the top sellers list.

Also, ArmA3 announced as a Steam exclusive by Bohemiah.

9. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 13:49 jdreyer

Hasn't this mod pretty much run its course? Are people still playing it?  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 13:08 fatguy

I've played a lot of games and have come across a lot of hackers, but this game takes the cake. If you don't play on private hives you will without a doubt come across many hackers. It's a shame too cause many of the populated private hives are further modded and not true DayZ.  

7. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 12:54 Elessar

Quinn wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 09:12:
Sadly, one still has to pay 20,- for Arma II + expansions. Simply too much for a mod I'm not sure I'll enjoy :\ Besides, an enhanced stand-alone Day Z is in the making -- it can be releases any time now.. no?
I remember reading a blog post saying that they're taking their time with it to do it right. It may be some time yet. Could be wrong, hope I am, but that's the impression I got.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

6. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 10:56 Raptor

If you just want the mod then wait for the standalone.
If you like military sims in general and for some reason don't have ARMA II yet then it's a great addition.
Plus now you have all of those other mods as well which are excellent.
Sometimes things become too popular for their own good and attract all the usual idiots who ruin things for everyone else.

5. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 10:19 Will W

Agreed, I bought ARMA 2 + CO to check out this mod and IMO it's not worth the purchase for the mod (I don't play ARMA 2 otherwise). I haven't played it in a few months, but the last time I did people were teleporting other players into "thunderdome" situations, or out into the ocean to drown. That could have been fixed by now. Tents were losing items, or just plain becoming unaccessable, people would server hop ("ghost") into your camp so that they didn't have to fight you to get your stuff, and of course plenty of people would sit around just shooting at fresh respawns, but AFAIK that's a working as intended thing.  

4. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 10:07 dardin

coldcut wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 09:00:
And it's (still) free!

Bit misleading because it's only free if you already own Arma 2 CO. For those who do not already own them I personally would not recommend wasting your money buying them for this free mod. Wait for the stand alone to come out which hopefully fixes a lot of things. More then anything the stand alone needs to find a solution to all the hackers that currently ruin the mod.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2013, 10:18.

3. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 09:28 nin

Almost tempted to check this out now.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 09:12 Quinn

Sadly, one still has to pay 20,- for Arma II + expansions. Simply too much for a mod I'm not sure I'll enjoy :\ Besides, an enhanced stand-alone Day Z is in the making -- it can be releases any time now.. no?  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

1. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 09:00 coldcut

And it's (still) free!  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo