Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 21:47 entr0py

Even if you never buy a PS4 or Xbox 4&#960; the new console generation is bound to lead to better game engines for the PC. Cross platform compatibility has been holding PC gaming back for several years now.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 18:12 Julio

Console games are already significantly overpriced, compared to PC games which are heavily discounted. No way I'm paying more for console games.  

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 15:21 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 12:35:
I am bummed that you can't take your PSN purchases forward, that might really bite them in the ass.

Depends. I mean the PS2 is still out there for sale, chances are the PS3 will be out there on the market well into the lifespan of the PS4. Seems to me that by creating overlap Sony helps to curb the ass biting a bit. Obviously, it would be awesome if they did let the purchases carry forward, and perhaps they might when the PS3 goes EOL. I mean, everything I bought on my PSP through PSN wasn't supposed to carry over to my Vita according to all the pre-launch talk but now nearly all of it does. (Final Fantasy V being the only exception from my personal library, and that is only in NA for some reason....EU/Japan customers can do it.)

I am not saying it doesn't suck, I am just saying that perhaps it isn't permanent. The only part of it that doesn't make sense to me is that in my admittedly simple mind I would imagine that the first 6 months of hardware sales would be higher if people could bring everything PSN from the PS3 to the PS4, so if you are trying to convince third party software companies to make games for you and make the stockholders happy at the same time wouldn't it make more sense to carry over the PSN stuff? *shrug*

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 15:21 Crustacean Soup

wtf_man wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 09:15:
won't block used games, doesn't require a constant internet connectection

The WiiU doesn't either, and I'd be very surprised if the new Xbox does.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 14:05 jdreyer

It will be interesting to see what the parts cost breakdown is when iSuppli or whomever analyzes it.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 13:54 gtrogers

So far, the PS4 is shaping up rather nicely. I want one.  

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 12:35 Verno

I am bummed that you can't take your PSN purchases forward, that might really bite them in the ass.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 12:33 Cutter

PropheT wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 12:19:
Creston wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 11:33:
So it'll be interesting to see whether EA and Activision continue trying to shove that bullshit down everyone's throat.

Creston

Yeah, that's the main thing I'm worried about. $400 tag for the system probably wouldn't keep me from buying it, but $70+ per game would. There's not much point to a system like that if building any kind library for it is prohibitively expensive, and even at $60 a game it tends to cut out anything from even a stable (and ample) gaming budget that's not a must-have title.

That was me with my 360 elite. I think I bought a total of 3 games for it over 5 years - GTA, RDR and ME. All the rest were rentals. Now that no one is renting anymore, except the few Redboxes they have around here - and those are super limited with what games they rent and how many - I don't see much point in getting another console for what will probably amount to the same number of purchases when most of it will show up on the PC sooner or later anyway. I can think of much better ways to blow $400 plus dollars.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 12:29 SpectralMeat

PropheT wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 12:19:
So it'll be interesting to see whether EA and Activision continue trying to shove that bullshit down everyone's throat.

Creston

Yeah, that's the main thing I'm worried about. $400 tag for the system probably wouldn't keep me from buying it, but $70+ per game would. There's not much point to a system like that if building any kind library for it is prohibitively expensive, and even at $60 a game it tends to cut out anything from even a stable (and ample) gaming budget that's not a must-have title.

Used games sales will boom

Steam: SpectralMeat

15. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 21, 2013, 12:24 HorrorScope

Btw, this is a very interesting article.

Both Activision and EA have already been bleating that their costs will "skyrocket" once they start developing for the 720 and PS4. Obviously so they can justify the fact they will start charging 70 or even 80 bucks for games.

Yet that linked article gets quotes from three PS4 devs who have said that their teams have increased marginally, and they're just getting better tools to work with. (Read: Now that the PS4 doesn't have that bullshit Cell processor anymore, we can actually use the tools we use for the PC platform.)

Creston

Yep they'll do anything to try and justify more dollars for them. But as you say there is plenty of evidence that tools have expedited development. Indy even proves it out and they don't even have the best tools.

The more they chip upward the more that will come in with games costing well under $50. They best be reading the room right. I have now paid for two $60 games in my time... $70, lol.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 12:19 PropheT

Creston

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 12:10 Cutter

bhcompy wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 11:00:
Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 09:29:
His answer wasn't very direct, or not entirely complete I'd say. I could see them changing their mind at some point. So unless it's stipulated in writing I wouldn't hold my breath. And at the very least they never said there wouldn't be a charge for used games - which there already is for multiplayer. I'm sure the other shoe has yet to drop on this issue.

Sony doesn't charge a thing for multiplayer used games. Publishers like EA do.

True enough. However that wouldn't happen without at least tacit approval. And Sony sure as shit knows what the actual long term plan is with this stuff so his answer, while not completely dishonest, has the ring of being disingenuous at best.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 12:08 Verno

I simply don't trust previews anymore from pretty much anyone. They are just a marketing tool and are not above outright deception to sell the product to you because they know you'll sell it to others through word of mouth. I have old Nintendo Powers and back issues of things like PCXL where the previews were more honest and contained actual information. They're so curated and filtered now by marketing/PR departments that you'll rarely see anything raw and honest.

Look at Aliens: Colonial Marines and all of the stuff Randy Pitchford said about that game as a recent example. The fact that he had the nerve to to act indignant on twitter tells me that the industry doesn't see its doing anything wrong by misleading people which is just more reason to treat previews as fluff. It's ironic because they help create unrealistic expectations they'll never fulfill and then blame consumers.

So yeah, Watch_Dogs looked cool but I'm going to treat it as 100% scripted until proven otherwise. At least I'll be pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed and annoyed. Did anyone look at the old man face thing on the stream and think it was impressive? That's more marketing crap, a meaningless tech demo that has no bearing on how the system will perform when dozens of NPCs are on screen.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2013, 12:13.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 12:05 nin

Including the little speech from the developer? I seriously thought that guy was mentally unstable.

I thought that was the super hero game?

And yeah, he went on their weird rant and then tried to tie it to "But what if people had super powers?!"

<Audience>: What?!?!?!

edit: And I will say Watch Dogs looks cool.

edit again:Here's the weird guy...

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2013, 12:12.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 12:03 SpectralMeat

Speaking of WatchDogs, did any of you guys actually see the WatchDog part of the presentation from last night? Including the little speech from the developer?
I seriously thought that guy was mentally unstable.
The demo looked cool but we will see how the game plays and how much freedom you have in interacting with the city vs scripted events.

Steam: SpectralMeat

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 11:51 Verno

I noticed a $99 SKU for Watch_Dogs on Amazon that made me go WTF, hopefully that's just a placeholder for a deluxe edition or something. I am actually fine with games being more expensive but they will need to provide more value in return. More actual content, not just shoe horned multiplayer that is dead and buried a month after release. If you want to sell me a $70 game then it better not have a 5 hour movie-wannabe campaign as the main selling point.  

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 11:33 Creston

Btw, this is a very interesting article.

Both Activision and EA have already been bleating that their costs will "skyrocket" once they start developing for the 720 and PS4. Obviously so they can justify the fact they will start charging 70 or even 80 bucks for games.

Yet that linked article gets quotes from three PS4 devs who have said that their teams have increased marginally, and they're just getting better tools to work with. (Read: Now that the PS4 doesn't have that bullshit Cell processor anymore, we can actually use the tools we use for the PC platform.)

Creston

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 11:08 Creston

I think they were probably planning it (and it likely has the capability to do it), but when they saw the massive outrage from their future customers, and the threats from Gamestop to simply not sell the console (though that's more than likely a bluff), they folded like they were holding 3-9 unsuited.

Creston

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 11:00 bhcompy

His answer wasn't very direct, or not entirely complete I'd say. I could see them changing their mind at some point. So unless it's stipulated in writing I wouldn't hold my breath. And at the very least they never said there wouldn't be a charge for used games - which there already is for multiplayer. I'm sure the other shoe has yet to drop on this issue.

Sony doesn't charge a thing for multiplayer used games. Publishers like EA do.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 09:36 wtf_man

True, but I read into that being probably the publishers pushing some online DRM component like EA's Origin... not Sony doing it themselves with the PS4. Which would put it on par with the PC... avoid EA games, then.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo