Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

39. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 22:28 Redmask

Cutter wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 22:27:
So you're supposed to use this with social media and it still doesn't have a mouse and keyboard. Lol! Enjoy it console kiddies this is the last of the console generations.

The PS3 supported most USB peripherals like keyboards and mice, I used one to type all the time. The Xbox 360 had some weird restrictions and only supported their lame chatpad.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 22:27 Cutter

So you're supposed to use this with social media and it still doesn't have a mouse and keyboard. Lol! Enjoy it console kiddies this is the last of the console generations.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

37. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 22:21 Redmask

nin wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 21:41:

It is neat, I agree. But not something I'll fork over another $200 for.

It wasn't a bad conference. But I was kind of expecting them to hit it out of the park tonight.

I think they're saving alot for E3, if they did everything tonight then they would have nothing to show for the biggest media frenzy of the year. Tonight was just to get the base specs out there and to officially kickstart the marketing that we'll see increasing through out the year.

I thought it was fine, not all of the games I wanted to see were there but the media features looked slick and I liked the new controller. I am just surprised we didn't get even a glimpse at the finalized hardware design.

Info I want that didn't get addressed:

- status of used games
- hardware design
- storage capacity
- PSN free or not going forward
- what is built in and what isnt
- status of popular franchises like GT, Uncharted, etc (probably will come later)

I wasn't happy to hear that Diablo 3 Console will supposedly get an offline mode, what the fuck? How are the battle net forums not exploding with that one?

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2013, 22:29.

36. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 22:12 Draugr

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 20:50:
Redmask wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 20:16:
I can't believe they didn't show a picture of it, that's a pretty basic thing.

I'm surprised by how upset people on the Internet are getting about this. The box gets shoved under the TV and never looked at except when changing discs. Does it really matter that much?

Agreed, I'm amazed at what a big deal this is for people.

SPOILERS: Its probably black and vaguely box shaped.

35. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 22:07 PropheT

Looks good to me, but there'll need to be more info to know for sure if it's a winner. Microsoft's follow-up to it is going to be interesting, at least.

The controller looks better than the rumor-mill ones that have been floating around, too. I'm still curious about any backward compatibility it might have and other things that'll make it worth jumping on it as soon as it comes out...I didn't see anything that'd make me not buy it, at least.

34. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 21:41 nin

Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 21:13:
nin wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 21:00:
- Remote play on a Vita

My first thought when they started that was "if you think I'm buying both, you're high."

Ya I'm not about to buy a Vita either but that's a pretty awsome feature IMO. In the middle of a game and someone else in the house wants to use the TV, no problem you can keep on playing on the Vita and free up the TV. Shit I would have loved that option while doing B-spec on GT4, just switch it over to the Vita and watch something else on TV.

It is neat, I agree. But not something I'll fork over another $200 for.

It wasn't a bad conference. But I was kind of expecting them to hit it out of the park tonight.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

33. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 21:37 Tumbler

That has to be a first. Genius I'm sure

Wii U? Everyone thought it was a touch screen controller!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

32. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 21:32 Redmask

I'm surprised by how upset people on the Internet are getting about this. The box gets shoved under the TV and never looked at except when changing discs. Does it really matter that much?

I want to look at what I might be buying and its a pretty basic marketing concept that you give people something to associate the name with, so yes.

31. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 20, 2013, 21:19 DangerDog

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 21:05:
Ray Marden wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 20:56:
I saw nothing exciting today

8 Gig's alone means larger levels for us pc users, less loads... We've been bottle-necked/held back with 1/2 gig ram systems.

Not for your standard first person shooter, production costs are going to go sky high with the level of detail you'll need to put into a game.

I would also expect $70 price for games that can't be traded in/purchased used.

I saw a lot of the usual "this is what we hope our game plays like" rendered videos, nothing on the magnitude of a Randy Pitchford e3 presentation but still a lot of B.S.

30. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 21:13 Yosemite Sam

nin wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 21:00:
- Remote play on a Vita

My first thought when they started that was "if you think I'm buying both, you're high."

Ya I'm not about to buy a Vita either but that's a pretty awsome feature IMO. In the middle of a game and someone else in the house wants to use the TV, no problem you can keep on playing on the Vita and free up the TV. Shit I would have loved that option while doing B-spec on GT4, just switch it over to the Vita and watch something else on TV.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

29. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 21:12 Bet

zombiefan wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 20:11:
8 cores, high-end GPU, cutting edge graphics....sounds like they're just describing what we already have on the PC.

Why buy your own car, when you can just buy theirs? Just remember to drive exactly how they tell you to, listen only to their music and make sure you always take the toll-road.
Looks like it delayed Watchdogs by at least half a year, too. Fantastic. At least now it's obvious why the game dropped off the face of the earth for a while. Anytime this has happened in the past, a stellar-looking game ended up being a dud... Heavy Rain is still depressing.

28. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 20, 2013, 21:11 HorrorScope

Then it turns out to look like this:
http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2001/02/12/socket_5/pc.jpg

But seriously... you go to all that trouble of an announcement and you don't actually show the console? That has to be a first. Genius I'm sure.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2013, 21:10 Rigs

Is it bad that they didn't show the console itself? Yes. Why? Because that means it hasn't been finalized yet, which also means that things they're talking about right now may or may not be included later. Plus I really wanted to see what kind of design it would have. Some of us do like to admire the designs of our electronics rather than stuff them in a dark, dusty hole for eternity. I'm curious how big (or small) it will be compared to previous versions. PLUS, every launch before it had the console on display. So why not this time? I'd go so far as to say that maybe they're still having problems getting whatever design they have envisioned to actually work with the components installed, as since it's an x86 architecture, they have to really worry about heat constraints, just like us PC users do...

Bungie said 'Destiny' would be released for PS3 and PS4, but why? I'm thinking as time goes on and the PS4 launch nears, Bungie will come out and say that due to blah, blah, blah (some stupid generic reason) that the PS3 version is cancelled so they can concentrate on the PS4 version.

No one has mentioned this, but this kind of puts what Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli said in a different light. Many assumed he had seen the real specs of the next-gen systems and thus knew that they would be x86 based, thus his reasoning, correctly, that the PC had bested consoles....in a round-about sort of way, I'll admit...

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

26. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 20, 2013, 21:05 HorrorScope

Ray Marden wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 20:56:
I saw nothing exciting today

8 Gig's alone means larger levels for us pc users, less loads... We've been bottle-necked/held back with 1/2 gig ram systems.

25. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 20, 2013, 21:04 HorrorScope

NM  

24. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 21:00 nin

- Remote play on a Vita

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

23. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 20, 2013, 21:00 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 20:31:
Beamer wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 20:28:
We basically know that, unless there is a huge surprise, we'll get more of the same.

We sort of know...It's a AMD pc, disguising as a console. Will be the same I hear from MS. When that is announced, the 15 year old fight is over. PC's did in fact win, the console became a close PC.

Wherein Pachter is fired, and Horrorscope is hired. Nice analysis sir!

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

22. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 20:56 Ray Marden

Eh...distinct lack of specifics, price, release date, and games.

Social stuff I don't really care about (hence my playing games at the moment,) yet another bad Sony UI, controller features that seem too basic and limited to be that useful, Kinect for PS4, stalking through your Playstation 4, etc.

Eh, more of the same, but prettier. I saw nothing exciting today, but at least they are simplifying their architecture, trying to copy Nintendo's tablet, and tossing in Microsoft's Kinect.
Crysis 3 looks damned good on Very High. The bow is cheap, though.
Chuckling at Failablo 3 being considered a big item,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

21. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 20:55 jdreyer

Here are the good features, IMO:

- Great specs. It makes sense to use off the shelf PC parts for this given how powerful they've become and the familiarity of so many devs with working on the architecture. This was a huge problem with the PS3 and its cell proc.
- Sleep state with instant resume. Nice feature.
- Touch screen on the controller has possibilities.

These strike me as gimmicky, and or not very useful:

- video compression to allow players to share gameplay.
- AI that "learns" your likes and dislikes and DLs stuff for you.
- Gaikai integration
- Moderators that allow grant broadcast control to players
- Remote play on a Vita
- Content creation on using the Move controller.

Other thoughts:
Great win for AMD to be able to supply both the CPU and GPU for this system. It might be like hosting the Olympics, but it really give them great exposure and marketing. Hopefully they didn't give the farm away for the opportunity.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

20. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 20:50 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo