Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage

OXM has a 13-minute video from Aliens: Crucible, the Aliens RPG in development at Obsidian before the project was cancelled. A clip with some animations from this game surfaced this week, but this clip includes work-in-progress gameplay. Thanks VG247.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 21, 2013, 20:28 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 04:54:
Yeah thing is though, the Aliens only try to charge them once. They learn pretty quickly that going against turrets is a bad idea also we dont see the Aliens dying against the turrets for all we know they were jumping around like mad and most of the shots were misses.

If I recall the scene correctly, they "learned" right as the guns were about to run out of bullets, and you totally do see aliens dying to the bullets.

Well, it's up on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGE_h4jBBXc

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 21, 2013, 04:54 InBlack

Yeah thing is though, the Aliens only try to charge them once. They learn pretty quickly that going against turrets is a bad idea also we dont see the Aliens dying against the turrets for all we know they were jumping around like mad and most of the shots were misses.

So still pretty fucking scary, and well we all know how the movie ends right? All those baddass marines get their asses handed to them.

I have a nifty blue line!

25. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 21, 2013, 04:35 Kajetan

Bhruic wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 23:27:
Verno wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 13:07:
Yeah exactly. The Aliens in the films are not bro fodder, they were smart and worked around obstacles, constantly outwitting the humans.

You might have missed the director's cut of Aliens then. Because the turret scene where they just charge up the tunnel getting constantly mowed down is exactly the type of scene you're saying didn't happen.
It's not only this scene. The whole movie consists of battling groups of normal Alien warriors. The only "intelligent" alien was the Queen.

In fact, Camerons "Aliens" was heavily critisized for that, reducing The Monster from the first movie to a simple practice target.

24. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 21, 2013, 00:47 Ant

Interesting. I am not sure if I would like it.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

23. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 23:27 Bhruic

Yeah exactly. The Aliens in the films are not bro fodder, they were smart and worked around obstacles, constantly outwitting the humans.

You might have missed the director's cut of Aliens then. Because the turret scene where they just charge up the tunnel getting constantly mowed down is exactly the type of scene you're saying didn't happen.

22. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 20:25 nin

Fifth wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 15:53:
Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 13:21:
ShadyPete wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 12:58:
i think devs have lost sight of what Alien is all about. why not do something like a survival/escape style game more in line with original film. allow the player to use the environment and available tools to plan and execute their escape. in the original film the crew only had weapons that they created themselves and they didn't know if they would have any effect at all.

mowing down waves of aliens with a pulse rifle effectively neuters what is arguably the most terrifying movie monster of all time.

idk just an idea..

That's exactly what one of the Obsidian devs was talking about at the RpgCodex forum yesterday.

The post for those interested.

Interesting read, thank you!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 19:45 bigspender

i think devs have lost sight of what Alien is all about. why not do something like a survival/escape style game more in line with original film. allow the player to use the environment and available tools to plan and execute their escape. in the original film the crew only had weapons that they created themselves and they didn't know if they would have any effect at all.

mowing down waves of aliens with a pulse rifle effectively neuters what is arguably the most terrifying movie monster of all time.

idk just an idea..

Yeah exactly. The Aliens in the films are not bro fodder, they were smart and worked around obstacles, constantly outwitting the humans. Only one of the AvP FPS games has really nailed that feel and Colonial Marines goes so far out of bounds with established information it's not even funny.

I'm not sure an Alien RPG even makes sense necessarily, I just don't see adapting the universe well with the kinds of RPG mechanics most people expect.

+1

RPG could work, but not in terms of skills but upgrading weapons and equipment to meet new puzzles and threats.

but having aliens stand right next to you and attack you in an almost turn-based manner is just nothing like aliens at all.

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

20. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 17:19 Ray Ban

Orogogus wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 15:04:

Are there good freeform survival/escape games that set the example?

I'm hoping this will be one of them: Dead State

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

19. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 16:06 Jerykk

idk just an idea..

Yeah exactly. The Aliens in the films are not bro fodder, they were smart and worked around obstacles, constantly outwitting the humans. Only one of the AvP FPS games has really nailed that feel and Colonial Marines goes so far out of bounds with established information it's not even funny.

I'm not sure an Alien RPG even makes sense necessarily, I just don't see adapting the universe well with the kinds of RPG mechanics most people expect.

I think it could work. You could play as a colonist, which opens up various class possibilities (engineer, technician, security guard, doctor, etc). You could form a party consisting of other survivors, each with their own skills and agendas. Side-quests would consist of miscellaneous tasks to help secure different areas and gather resources or help companions. The main quest could simply be to survive until the rescue team arrives. The game would definitely have survival-horror elements, ala System Shock, and you'd have to make difficult choices in regards to who lives and who dies.

The footage shown here suggests that they were heading that direction, though there was too much combat for my tastes and the aliens seemed pretty dumb. As others have mentioned, having fewer but smarter aliens would make for a much more compelling experience than having hordes of retarded aliens.

18. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 15:57 SimplyMonk

Orogogus wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 15:04:

I thought Amnesia was fairly free-form in how you deal with certain encounters although the easy answer was hide in the dark until the scary thing went away. The solutions to the puzzles as well were pretty straight forward and intuitive or otherwise optional.

17. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 15:53 Fifth

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 13:21:

idk just an idea..

That's exactly what one of the Obsidian devs was talking about at the RpgCodex forum yesterday.

The post for those interested.

16. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 15:04 Orogogus

I think a game like that is susceptible to people getting frustrated and angry when things don't work like they have in mind. Stealth games already have this problem to some degree, and I'd think it would be even worse in a quasi-adventure game. Inevitably you end up having to be smart in the specific ways that the designers envisioned, or else you let players exploit game mechanics as they will and lose any horror aspect.

15. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 14:47 ShadyPete

thanks for the heads up.. ill give that a read  

14. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 13:21 Mad Max RW

idk just an idea..

13. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 13:07 Verno

idk just an idea..

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

12. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 12:58 ShadyPete

idk just an idea..

11. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 12:38 Mad Max RW

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 10:42:
All hope now lies in the Crysis 2 mod, Aliens vs Marines, and a devoted fan which happens to look awesome.

Until it gets 95% done and is then told to cease and desist.

I'm pretty sure Fox and Sega already brought the hammer down on that project. It went silent months ago.

10. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 12:14 Cutter

AWWWWWWW! I thought it was going to be a real CRPG like Fallout but with a 3D roatable isometric view. Now that would be different. And neato.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

9. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 11:16 JeffD

Lol... that camera is so painful to watch. But yea it looks bad... I couldn't see alien being turned into an MMO, infact none of the alien games have been real good. I love the movies but there has not been one game I have been interested in even trying out. They really need to look to someone that can ADD alot of creative new content and story to the aliens universe.. there isn't enough existing to work on.  

8. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 11:11 Kajetan

Armengar wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 11:07:
blockiness reminded me of dark forces. It just looks dated and poor.
Do you even know how Dark Forces looks?

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo