Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 20, 2013, 22:46 Quboid

These things can become a bandwagon and lose perspective, but there's enough hate for Metro for me to believe it's poor - no smoke without fire. Plus, I played with Win8 briefly in my local PC store and hated Metro. That said, I could certainly live with it if forced but I'd rather not.

My main concern is that a Windows 8 service pack disables desktop hacks. It'll probably take about 30 minutes for a new hack to arrive but you never know.

I notice the price is 100 now, I thought it was about 25 - I guess that was a temporary thing. That pretty much blows away any interest I may have had in picking it up next time I need to do a Windows install.

I'm sure they've run the numbers but I'd have thought releasing a reasonably well featured (i.e. none of that no background image changing bullshit that the budget Win7 had!) version of Windows for home users would be good business. Microsoft still dominate the home computer market, but unlike 10 or 15 years ago, they're not the only option and Apple, amongst others, should be worrying them.

Giving the OS away cheaply or even free means Windows remains dominant, ensuring they remain powerful and in a position to gouge customers with related products like Office. Perhaps offer an 8/month subscription to get support, anti-virus and cloud backups - for those who want it, it could be a good service. For those who don't (e.g. everyone here), we're still hooked on their OS.

At 100, that's an argument in favour of getting a Mac.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 20, 2013, 20:34 HorrorScope

Sometimes were a little blinded to. Get the Dekstop Hack, it works, it's basically Win 7 with a service pack. Metro for pc users who don't want it, is so easily avoidable, the issue was way overblown. It's stupid simple to apply, I guess we just like to pile on.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 20, 2013, 20:16 Quboid

What does it mean to not have Aero? No semi-transparent window frames and unused Start-Tab 3D effect?  

- Quboid

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 20, 2013, 16:42 Redmask

I don't see any performance differences between it and Windows 7 so if you disable metro then that's what you're getting. You can launch Metro apps directly without being in Metro, once I figured out that Windows 8 became bearable. I just launch Netflix from a desktop shortcut and removed Metro altogether. It's not that the start menu is more efficient or even useful, its that metro is disruptive and jarring. None of the interactions make sense for keyboard and mouse use. They couldn't even do the search properly, I have to select the category manually instead of going straight to the top result.

I got it for $15.00 so I'm not going to gnash my teeth and wail about it though.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 20, 2013, 16:15 SimplyMonk

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 15:44:
Quboid wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 15:14:
...is there anything wrong with Win8?
Besides metro? Nope. You gut that out, and it's a cleaner OS than 7.

Don't even see why you have to gut it. It is fairly easy to ignore, although it does slow down your start up as none of your desktop programs will run until you head to your desktop. Metro has been useful to me if for nothing else than a faster way to get to Netflix. Pretty much the only App I even used though. The built in Messenger needs to be rethought completely though.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 20, 2013, 15:44 Mashiki Amiketo

...is there anything wrong with Win8?
Besides metro? Nope. You gut that out, and it's a cleaner OS than 7.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 20, 2013, 15:41 Verno

Metro has received so much attention, none of it good, that I've little idea what else Windows 8 even has, never mind whether it's good or not. Aside from Metro, and I realise that's no small thing, is there anything wrong with Win8?

It has small issues like Windows 7 did but for the most part it's just Windows 7 sans Aero. It has some intangible improvements that people reference but don't really become apparent even under benchmarks or etc. Windows 8 doesn't have much else in the way of user facing features to point to beyond Metro. For better or worse, it's the big bullet point on the box and it hasn't exactly been a popular feature. So there isn't really much else to hate other than Metro unless you really liked Aero but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement either, the prices have come way up from launch.

At $15-30 its whatever who cares, I'll disable Metro and its a good price. At $100+ people will scrutinize it a lot more.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 20, 2013, 15:14 Quboid

nin wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 08:57:
Microsoft's first Windows 8 update halfway to completion.

Whoop-de-fucking-do! I'm sure everyone that bought 8 and now have to justify it are really excited!

Metro has received so much attention, none of it good, that I've little idea what else Windows 8 even has, never mind whether it's good or not. Aside from Metro, and I realise that's no small thing, is there anything wrong with Win8?

- Quboid

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 20, 2013, 14:35 jdreyer

I don't know about that guy's novel, but it would be cool if there was a computer in the house that told me I'd eaten my half pound of chocolate for the month and could have no more.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 20, 2013, 13:55 NegaDeath

This just in!

Microsoft now considers keyboards cheesy, therefore the update will disable keyboards and require voice input. Teh future!

Also tiles will now be round. Squares are old and therefore also cheesy.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 20, 2013, 09:34 wtf_man

Is this the patch that makes the OS functional on a Desktop Computer?

or, in other words...

Is this the patch that will let you turn off Metro without 3rd party hacks?

(I seriously doubt it... if anything it will probably block those hacks even more)

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 20, 2013, 09:23 Verno

I wonder if they will try to charge for it, would be fairly amusing.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 20, 2013, 08:57 nin

Microsoft's first Windows 8 update halfway to completion.

Whoop-de-fucking-do! I'm sure everyone that bought 8 and now have to justify it are really excited!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo