Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I came across something that pointed out that today is "Love Your Pet Day." It's not possible to love anyone more than we love Hudson the wonder dog and the Gunnar-man around here, but it seems like a worthy cause, so I'm willing to put in some extra effort to try and see how it works out.

Lovey Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Forgotten Dungeon.
Stories: Columbia prof strips, shows 9/11 tape during class.
'Weed candy' becoming more popular in schools.
Will there be a new ‘Battlestar Galactica’ TV show?
Science: Huge telescopes could spy alien oxygen.
Images: The Greatest Hacker T-Shirts This Planet Has Ever Seen. Thanks LS.
Media: Jimmy Kimmel's You Tube Challenge - Bad Valentine Gifts.
Field Testing: LED TV vs. Steam Room and Portege Ultrabook vs. Car Wash.
Follow-up: Crowdfunding Rebel Alliance X-Wing Squadron. Thanks Glenn.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2013, 11:42 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 09:40:
nin wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 09:28:
(Since you mentioned DS9) I will say that if they put as much effort into DS9 as they did TNG (and I suspect they will), you'll definitely want it on blu. The remasters look fantastic.
Yes, I am very much hoping enough of the remastered TNG sells that they will decide to do DS9. *fingers crossed*

I want them so badly, but I just can't bring myself to pay 80 bucks for what really are two pretty weak seasons of TNG.

I'll probably fork it over for season four and season five, both of which are incredible.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2013, 09:40 Mr. Tact

nin wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 09:28:
(Since you mentioned DS9) I will say that if they put as much effort into DS9 as they did TNG (and I suspect they will), you'll definitely want it on blu. The remasters look fantastic.
Yes, I am very much hoping enough of the remastered TNG sells that they will decide to do DS9. *fingers crossed*

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2013, 09:28 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 08:23:
Cutter wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 15:46:
There will never be another Trek show as good as TNG.
I like most things Trek, including Abrams reboot. But the first season of TNG sucked, the second was okay, then they hit their stride. I have DS9 and TOS on DVD and I'm not particularly interested in getting TNG or Voyager.

I wouldn't say it sucked, but 1 and 2 were easily the weakest. Even the actors admit they were still trying to determine who their characters were, and how they fit together.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2013, 08:23 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 15:46:
There will never be another Trek show as good as TNG.
I like most things Trek, including Abrams reboot. But the first season of TNG sucked, the second was okay, then they hit their stride. I have DS9 and TOS on DVD and I'm not particularly interested in getting TNG or Voyager.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2013, 07:40 InBlack

1badmf wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 17:44:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 14:09:
I'm disappointed that Blood and Chrome never took off. I was looking forward to a show that explored that time period. I do agree though, while I loved BSG, the whole Starbuck plotline in S3-4 was just stupid.

Also agree with that Bab 5 was great. That's how DS9 SHOULD have been! (Although DS9 had its moments). And yes, Firefly, so tragic to be cut down so young. Imagine if we had 5 seasons of that?

JMS has gone on record as saying DS9 was a studio ripoff of B5. he went to paramount or whoever it was, gave them the B5 story bible and tried to sell them the show. they turned it down - lo and behold, DS9, a scifi show about a space station and an ancient race where the captain transcends his species and becomes a savior, airs just a few weeks before b5 does.

and it shows i think. DS9 never had B5's power or evocative scripts or sheer creativity.

DS9 was cool for what it was a Trek showcase, and the side characters were absolutely a blast.

B5 had the better story, I really liked how connected all the parts were and that you had to watch the whole thing to 'get' all the missing pieces. THe last season sucked balls though, which was dissapointing. Also that torture episode is probably the best episode in any science fiction series ever. EVER!

I have a nifty blue line!

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2013, 01:14 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 14:27:
Also agree with that Bab 5 was great. That's how DS9 SHOULD have been! (Although DS9 had its moments).
I'd be interested to hear you explain this more fully. I really liked both B5 and DS9 (I have them both on DVD). Both had series arching stories lines and characters that were developed over time. Were there just more characters you liked in B5 or something?

I think that the central characters are more interesting to start, especially the aliens. G'kar, Londo, and Delenn are both well drawn and wonderfully acted, and I liked O'Hare as Sinclair (Boxleitner was good too, but Garibaldi was just okay). Also, I just thought the B5 world-building was more interesting (which sounds strange given how deep the ST universe is). The tensions between the Narn and Centauri were great, as was the relationship btw the humans and Minbari, not to mention the Vorlons and the Shadows. There is always lots of mystery, drama, distrust, double crossing, etc. going on which makes for great story telling.

On the DS9 side, I thought Sisko, Kira, Dax, and O'Brien were well done, but couldn't really stand Bashir, Odo, or Quark. There were some good stories, like some of the Cardassian, Dominion war, and Jem Hadar epis, but I just thought the wormhole was too much of a deus ex machina with regards to providing plot lines.

I liked both, but definitely B5 better. Not that it matters too much, but B5 has an 8.2 on IMBD, while DS9 has a 7.8.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2013, 02:07.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2013, 18:44 PHJF

Well PS4 was just announced. Uses a new Dual Shock with a stupid light sensor on the back and a tiny little touchscreen, x86 processor with 8GB GDDR5, and features Gaikai streaming.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2013, 17:44 1badmf

I'm disappointed that Blood and Chrome never took off. I was looking forward to a show that explored that time period. I do agree though, while I loved BSG, the whole Starbuck plotline in S3-4 was just stupid.

Also agree with that Bab 5 was great. That's how DS9 SHOULD have been! (Although DS9 had its moments). And yes, Firefly, so tragic to be cut down so young. Imagine if we had 5 seasons of that?

JMS has gone on record as saying DS9 was a studio ripoff of B5. he went to paramount or whoever it was, gave them the B5 story bible and tried to sell them the show. they turned it down - lo and behold, DS9, a scifi show about a space station and an ancient race where the captain transcends his species and becomes a savior, airs just a few weeks before b5 does.

and it shows i think. DS9 never had B5's power or evocative scripts or sheer creativity.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2013, 17:40 banddirector

InBlack wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 09:58:
Verno wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 09:27:
I don't think we need a new Battlestar series so soon, we had a nice long run already and a few failed offshoots, some TV movies and etc. I love sci-fi stuff but there's room for some new ideas.

Agreed, I would prefer a proper Star Trek series. And none of that fantasy Enterprise prequel bullshit, we need a new series with a new Enterprise captain set in TNGs future, with Admiral Picard maybe making a cameo (and maybe some of the old crew) making a few cameos.

With the new Enterprise loaded for bear and blasting the crap outta them ruffian aliens that deserve it ....

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2013, 17:39 xXBatmanXx

WOOOOOOOOOOOFUCKINGHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Just needed to share.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2013, 15:46 Cutter

There will never be another Trek show as good as TNG. It'll be some bastardized Abrams type schlock to get all the reality TV viewers watching it. Since Gene died they've slowly just been molesting something that was once special.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2013, 14:27 Mr. Tact

Also agree with that Bab 5 was great. That's how DS9 SHOULD have been! (Although DS9 had its moments).
I'd be interested to hear you explain this more fully. I really liked both B5 and DS9 (I have them both on DVD). Both had series arching stories lines and characters that were developed over time. Were there just more characters you liked in B5 or something?

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2013, 14:09 jdreyer

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2013, 13:36 Quboid

Love Your Pet Day is a silly idea. Pets aren't like people where we need a day for loving them, every day is love your pet day (although if this little bastard doesn't stop splashing his goddamn water everywhere, I may have to strangle the adorable shithead!).

Unless it's a bestiality thing, but then - in my opinion - one day a year is too much.

- Quboid

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2013, 12:20 Creston

InBlack wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 09:58:
Verno wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 09:27:
I don't think we need a new Battlestar series so soon, we had a nice long run already and a few failed offshoots, some TV movies and etc. I love sci-fi stuff but there's room for some new ideas.

Agreed, I would prefer a proper Star Trek series. And none of that fantasy Enterprise prequel bullshit, we need a new series with a new Enterprise captain set in TNGs future, with Admiral Picard maybe making a cameo (and maybe some of the old crew) making a few cameos.

Rumors keep popping up of a new show being in pre-production, set after the Voyager timeline. So fingers crossed.

And while I can laugh at the Death Star and Xwing Kickstarters, I wish people would stop putting joke shit up there. It's hard enough for projects to get noticed, and if KS becomes inundated with fake projects it's not going to help things.

Creston

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2013, 12:13 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 11:31:
"We're trying to keep the popularity of weed candy from growing so we sent an informational flyer home with every student and put an article in the local newspaper and online."

"It's a big problem, they can sit there and suck on these delicious candies and at the end of class they're high. Oh man these are actually pretty good, someone pass the Doritos. Yep don't eat these kids, give them to the proper authorities for disposal."

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2013, 12:10 Creston

New BSG tv show? Yes, please.

Creston

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2013, 11:31 Sepharo

"We're trying to keep the popularity of weed candy from growing so we sent an informational flyer home with every student and put an article in the local newspaper and online."  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2013, 11:16 Armengar

Loved B5. Nearly 20 years old now!  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2013, 10:32 Bhruic

Verno wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 10:01:
I'd love to see JMS from Babylon 5 do a new series, that guy knows how to storyboard and plot crazy ongoing arcs like few others in Hollywood.

He'd absolutely be my first pick. My only disappointment with B5 is that the special effects haven't held up well. But it's definitely one of my favourite sci-fi shows. I think only Firefly beats it.

It's really open to interpretation in some respects but I disliked the direction they took Starbucks character more than her actual status or label. People can't really say they didn't see it coming though with all of the other mystical/unexplained aspects of the show. Then again I found "did I ever tell you I know about farming?" to be way more amusing and egregious than most other parts of the show

Well, that's why I pegged the middle of the show, rather than just the end. They basically knew where they wanted to start the show, and where they'd take it immediately, but had nothing past that. And what they ended up scrambling to find was pretty bad.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo