Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup

EA and Crytek announce the release of Crysis 3 in North America, calling their first-person shooter sequel "The Premiere Action Game of the Season." The press release notes that the game has launched to "strong reviews," which is reasonable supported on Metacritic, where the PC edition currently scores 79. Some of the outlets offering early reviews include: Computer and Video Games, Destructoid, Edge Magazine, Eurogamer, GameInformer, GameSpot, IGN, Joystiq, Kotaku, MTV Multiplayer, PC Gamer, Polygon, and Shacknews. For those digging into the game, Gamefront has a list of PC developer console commands to help get under the hood, along with a how to unlock FOV guide. Here's word on the release:

Developed by Crytek and powered by the proprietary cutting edge CryENGINE technology, Crysis 3 is the next installment in the award-winning Crysis franchise. The series is known for its spectacular visuals, dynamic, open gameplay and its signature Nanosuit that grants players unique powers to assess, adapt and attack in any situation. In Crysis 3, players return to the fight as Prophet on his quest to save mankind. Set in New York, the city has been encased in a Nanodome that has turned this once thriving metropolis into a veritable urban rainforest teeming with overgrown trees, dense swamplands and raging rivers. Seven distinct and treacherous environments become known as the 7 Wonders. This dangerous new world demands advanced weapons and strategies, including the enhanced Nanosuit which provides players a tactical advantage. In addition to the powerful Nanosuit, players wield the devastating Predator bow and cutting-edge alien weaponry to become the deadliest hunter on the planet.

Crysis 3 also contains a robust multiplayer experience featuring 12 visually stunning maps and eight heart-pounding gameplay modes including the all new Hunter mode. An asymmetrical, time based mode, Hunter mode pits 2 players vs. 10 (2 vs. 14 on PC) in matches that begin with two cloaked hunters stalking 10 opposing CELL troopers. Armed only with enhanced Nanosuits and the lethal Predator bow, hunters must systematically stalk and kill the CELL operatives, who in turn must work together as a team as they fight to stay alive before the round ends. The twist is that once a CELL trooper is killed, that player will then respawn as a hunter, joining the others in their attempt to eliminate the remaining CELL operatives before the clock strikes zero. Crysis 3 multiplayer will also feature the debut of the New York Feed, a brand new in-game social feed that will showcase the accomplishments of gamers and their friends while offering dynamic challenges to complete.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 15:49 theyarecomingforyou

Ratty wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 15:01:
All the hate for the aliens and mutants in Crytek games. If I wanted to play a version without the monsters I might as well play Battlefield or CoD. I just have no desire to play a realistic shooter. I liked the aliens and monsters.
It's not that people don't like aliens or mutants, as Half-Life and Bioshock perfectly illustrate the contrary; the issue is that the aliens in the original Crysis were handled appallingly, like pretty much every element of the narrative.

Games don't have to feature monsters in order to not be Battlefield or Call Of Duty. In fact that's why people were so annoyed by Far Cry's ending, as up until that point it was a perfectly good conventional shooter. Far Cry 2 and 3 featured mature plots and were alien/mutant free, which was really refreshing for the genre. Going further I'd like to see games move away from combat, like Mirror's Edge, Amnesia and Dear Esther did to great effect.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 15:01 Ratty

All the hate for the aliens and mutants in Crytek games. If I wanted to play a version without the monsters I might as well play Battlefield or CoD. I just have no desire to play a realistic shooter. I liked the aliens and monsters.  

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 13:02 SpectralMeat

TotalBiscuit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIoUelM-4pk  

Steam: SpectralMeat

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 12:46 Creston

peteham wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 07:04:
I always hated the suit power/recharge mechanic in Crysis. Cloak, walk 10 steps, crouch behind rock while charging. Rinse, repeat. I always fall straight into this pattern of play with all the Crysis games, and it makes the game flow rather badly. I rather miss Far Cry 1's take on "stealth" which was more about taking the time to compulsively scan tree-lines with the binoculars before moving out.

Definitely on the fence with this one.

Yeah, it's an artificial limitation put in there because the AI can't deal with cloaked enemies. At least in Crysis it's pretty easy to mod out.

Creston

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 11:24 theyarecomingforyou

AngelicPenguin wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 10:49:
I agree with SirKnight - I thought Crysis was quite a bit better than Crysis 2, but I enjoyed them both. Too many narrow hallways in 2 (or should I say alleyways conveniently filled with crushed debris.)
The problem with Crysis is that it was a sandbox shooter with minimal narrative, only the gameplay wasn't particularly fun. Crysis 2 was certainly more linear but it had much better atmosphere, more memorable characters and better voice acting. Crysis 3 looks similar to Crysis 2 but a bit more open, which is fine by me.

I don't see being linear as a problem if the game is enjoyable - just look at Half-Life, Metro 2033, Bioshock. For me the atmosphere / setting of a game is very important and Crysis absolutely blew in that department.

PS - For what it's worth I thought Warhead was pretty decent, as it had much better pacing.

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 10:49 AngelicPenguin

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 09:02:
SirKnight wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 23:28:
Crysis 2 for me was just a graphical showcase. The gameplay was pure crap. Crysis 1 (before the aliens) was quite good.
You got that backwards. Crysis was nothing more than a technical demo. Crysis 2 added a Holywood-style narrative and refined the gameplay, especially the nanosuit; while it certainly wasn't amazing it had very good atmosphere - the music was particularly noteworthy (pun intended). I really didn't like Crysis, especially not after Far Cry, but Crysis 2 was decent in an over-the-top action movie sort of way - it wasn't anything special but it was a decent game.

The reviews seem to suggest the same is true of Crysis 3, which is fine by me. Sure it's disappointing that they haven't evolved the series like Ubisoft has with Far Cry 2 and 3 but what it does it does well (at least based on my experience with the multiplayer beta). It's a shame I won't be getting it, as it appears it won't be released on Steam.

I agree with SirKnight - I thought Crysis was quite a bit better than Crysis 2, but I enjoyed them both. Too many narrow hallways in 2 (or should I say alleyways conveniently filled with crushed debris.)

I think it also helped that in the first one, if you played on delta difficulty the enemies spoke Korean. It helped hide what they were saying. In Crysis 2, I'd hear "all clear" when 5 of their buddies were laying there dead and I had cloaked for 10 seconds. In Korean, for all I knew he was praying that I didn't kill him.

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 10:49 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 09:48:
They aren't a terribly interesting enemy to fight, the human AI is way better for the most part. The storyline surrounding them is college level film stuff. The games tend to devolve around the alien segments IMHO. Also they are in every game and Crytek feels the need to keep the silly Prophet storyline going when they could be doing new things.
This.

The most complained about element of Far Cry was the mutants at the end and yet Crytek did the same thing with Crysis, just replacing them with aliens. Not only that but it was all incredibly clichéd - from the nanosuit soldiers, to the generic Korean enemies, to the aliens. Too much emphasis was placed on the technology and barely any effort was put into the experience.

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 10:36 AngelicPenguin

Ray Marden wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 20:06:
Once I got past the fact that Crysis was not Far Cry, at least not once after that damned alien ship and turning the world to snow in the first game, I was able to enjoy this series a bit more.

I really enjoyed the second game - I loved that it varies from pure action to stealth gameplay - and I really hope this one is even better.
Thanks, Amazon, for sending me the promo code late at night. QQ.
Wondering how long the game is; hoping the 5 hour reports are inaccurate,
Ray

The guy on shacknews said it took him 10 hours, but that he is rather slow at games.

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 09:48 Verno

Alamar wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 00:08:
I never understood all the hate for aliens in Crysis... Though I imagine this is part of it, and the fact I didn't play far cry helps my lack of understanding...

As for the 6h campaign length, I'll wait for some real numbers... Almost every shooter in the last decade has had the same complaint, and the times listed are always somewhere between 'normal' and speed runs...

For some 'actual' values, Crysis was about 10.3h (Warhead at 5.5h), and Crysis 2 was about 8.75h, so assuming 6h is off by the usual amount, it may be just slightly shorter than the previous...

Values taken from howlongtobeat.com ; )

-Alamar

They aren't a terribly interesting enemy to fight, the human AI is way better for the most part. The storyline surrounding them is college level film stuff. The games tend to devolve around the alien segments IMHO. Also they are in every game and Crytek feels the need to keep the silly Prophet storyline going when they could be doing new things.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 09:42 Omni

More of the same, hurry and play it before your neighbor!!!111  

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 09:36 TheVocalMinority

InBlack wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 03:32:
But when have shooters turned into high budget trash interactive movies for ADHD kids?

Oooooh Oooooh I know this one.
5th of November 2007.
What do I win?

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 09:25 avianflu

+1 to Peteham. Couldnt agree more about that: pretty much insta-kills the gameplay.

Never understood the appeal of Crysis after they made the fairly impressive Far Cry 1.

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 09:02 theyarecomingforyou

SirKnight wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 23:28:
Crysis 2 for me was just a graphical showcase. The gameplay was pure crap. Crysis 1 (before the aliens) was quite good.
You got that backwards. Crysis was nothing more than a technical demo. Crysis 2 added a Holywood-style narrative and refined the gameplay, especially the nanosuit; while it certainly wasn't amazing it had very good atmosphere - the music was particularly noteworthy (pun intended). I really didn't like Crysis, especially not after Far Cry, but Crysis 2 was decent in an over-the-top action movie sort of way - it wasn't anything special but it was a decent game.

The reviews seem to suggest the same is true of Crysis 3, which is fine by me. Sure it's disappointing that they haven't evolved the series like Ubisoft has with Far Cry 2 and 3 but what it does it does well (at least based on my experience with the multiplayer beta). It's a shame I won't be getting it, as it appears it won't be released on Steam.

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 07:57 InBlack

About the best part of this game is that Cryengine3 is going to be used in that Chris Roberts game...

...that could also be the worst part about it as according the MW:O devs the engine is horribly difficult to work with...

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 07:04 peteham

I always hated the suit power/recharge mechanic in Crysis. Cloak, walk 10 steps, crouch behind rock while charging. Rinse, repeat. I always fall straight into this pattern of play with all the Crysis games, and it makes the game flow rather badly. I rather miss Far Cry 1's take on "stealth" which was more about taking the time to compulsively scan tree-lines with the binoculars before moving out.

Definitely on the fence with this one.

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 05:49 bigspender

i know it probably makes for better gameplay, but it seems really silly how enemies from a room or warehouse next door don't join the fight, or at least they shouldn't pretend I didn't just kill about 20 of their friends in the same facility - don't tell me they didn't notice shooting, explosions, broken glass and that helicopter i shot down :S  

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 03:33 Sempai

Is the FoV limited to 80? Cause that's some bullshit.

Try as i might, cl_FOV 80 is the highest the game allows me to manually set it.

Tell me how i can time machine my ass back to the fucking 90's where so called PC developers weren't COMPLETE FUCKING MORONS!

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 03:32 InBlack

10.3, 8.7, 6h length....I actually find this trend rather disturbing! I mean personaly, I couldnt give a shit how long the campaign for Crysis3 is since I wont be buying and playing it. But when have shooters turned into high budget trash interactive movies for ADHD kids?  

I have a nifty blue line!

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 02:39 DangerDog

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 01:04:
Yeah, seems you really shouldn't even bother with this unless you're aching for more Crysis multiplayer... At least not until it's cheaper than dirt.

They haven't unleashed the DLC bomb for the game yet but you can count on it happening, that'll put multiplayer out of commission completely.

The only sandbox element to the game is if they release the editor for it, there was a post on the mycrisis forums saying that they might release it after the DLC comes out.

not my screenshot but...

[url=http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/1117161796199045799/1371999A27561734CCEFA3E4AAA5CBCF6E1C285A/]

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 02:18 Wowbagger_TIP

Alamar wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 00:08:
Quboid wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 20:12:
Should be fun, I too had to get past the "it's not Far Cry" mental barrier but once I did I enjoyed Crysis 2 for what it was, a game equivalent of a Jason Statham movie.

DangerDog, was that final code?

I never understood all the hate for aliens in Crysis... Though I imagine this is part of it, and the fact I didn't play far cry helps my lack of understanding...

For me, the hate for the aliens in Crysis was due to the fact that the game became completely linear and scripted from that point on. Some of the aliens were rather annoying and repetitious as well, but it was really the on-rails nature of the second half of the game that killed it for me.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo