Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Mage's Initiation, A Sierra-Inspired Kickstarter

A new Kickstarter looks to raise $65,000 to develop Mage's Initiation, described as "A Classic Sierra-style Adventure/RPG." While skepticism of living up to that high standard is understandable, developer Himalaya Studios has reason to invoke Sierra's legacy, as they are the outfit behind freeware King's Quest and Quest for Glory remakes under the name AGD Interactive. Here's word on the game:

Sixteen-year-old D'arc has spent most of his life training in the elemental arts, in hopes of becoming a respected Mage of Iginor. Now he must prove himself by succeeding in three tasks around the perilous Iginor countryside. With the storytelling and puzzle solving of an adventure game and the customization and stat building of an RPG, Mage's Initiation is a unique hybrid that will be experienced differently by everyone who plays it.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Mage's Initiation, A Sierra-Inspired Kickstarter Feb 20, 2013, 12:12 Orphic Resonance

spiritual sequel to kings quest 3? hell yeh  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Mage's Initiation, A Sierra-Inspired Kickstarter Feb 19, 2013, 21:42 Dev

They have at least 1 proven title under their belt (not just the remakes) of their own. Plus 4 other remakes.
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

I was quite pleased with the additional content/quests in KQ2 that they did, its definitely sierra quality. They also did a straight remake (no extra content) with KQ1.

I had a lot of fun with the free remakes they did, so I'm definitely up for giving them money for something like this. The kickstarter campaign looks well planned out in advance, and they have a well defined vision they are going for, and they have a budget for the planned physical rewards, so I'm confident they can deliver.

5. Re: Mage's Initiation, A Sierra-Inspired Kickstarter Feb 19, 2013, 21:22 WaltC

Great Stuff!

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

4. Re: Mage's Initiation, A Sierra-Inspired Kickstarter Feb 19, 2013, 20:22 nin

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 20:09:
I wonder why they limited themselves to 1280 x 960 resolution.

Ask em! Now's the time. Could be a limitation of whatever engine they're using (or whatever they're doing the backgrounds at), but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why...

edit: Watched the video. I really hate to say this, but this is pretty much exactly what I was hoping the Coles were going to do, only they went in a different direction. Not that I don't wish them the best (and I did contribute), but it is a little frustrating that these guys seem to be closer to the original scope...guess that means I'm in!

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 20:30.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Mage's Initiation, A Sierra-Inspired Kickstarter Feb 19, 2013, 20:09 Silicon Avatar

I wonder why they limited themselves to 1280 x 960 resolution.

2. Re: Mage's Initiation, A Sierra-Inspired Kickstarter Feb 19, 2013, 19:41 saluk

Great pitch guys. Modest funding goal, very clear and well-defined game design, good early artwork, and a team that has shipped similar products multiple times with success. I don't know if I care enough about this kind of game to pledge, (I prefer straight adventure or straight rpg) but this is what kickstarter is for.  

1. Re: Mage's Initiation, A Sierra-Inspired Kickstarter Feb 19, 2013, 19:10 nin

developer Himalaya Studios has reason to invoke Sierra's legacy, as they are the outfit behind freeware King's Quest and Quest for Glory remakes under the name AGD Interactive.

Oh cool! Good for them!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo