Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GeForce GTX TITAN Announced

NVIDIA announces the GeForce GTX TITAN, saying their new graphics card can make your PC a "gaming supercomputer" in the vein of The World's #1 Open Science Supercomputer. Word is: "Despite being ten times more powerful than its predecessor, the Titan supercomputer takes up the same amount of space and uses the same amount of power. Only GTX TITAN brings this rare combination of raw power and incredible efficiency to PC gaming." There are p/reviews of the new card on AnandTech, Guru3D, Hardware Canucks, Hardware Heaven, Legit Reviews, and Overclockers Club.

View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

38. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 13:54 Dmitri_M

After 15 years of building my own desktops and purchasing the latest gfx cars I sold my last and moved to a gaming laptop exclusively. 1080p display and it has the equivalent of a mid ranged 5 series in it. I can run pretty much anything on it on nearly maxed, it's small and isn't noisy (unless I'm running a 3D app). I'll never go back to a giant tower of doom with 12 fans.

Unless we have a return to PC only FPS releases I expect this thing to last me a few more years. ArmA is the only non-port FPS I play and it stresses my system (and that's partly because it's a unoptimized).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 13:54 nin

loomy wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 13:36:
Verno wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 12:52:
loomy wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 12:51:
if you have a 1080p monitor please don't freak out, this is not for you

If you have any single monitor, this is not for you.

wrong motherfuckers. 680/7970 can both skip down to 30fps or below in crysis/far cry/bf3/skyrim modded. you just need a 2560x monitor and the settings turned up.

don't preach unless you're on a 30" monitor playing all games at the highest settings. if you aren't part of the $1000 video card club or $1000 monitor club, don't open your stupid fingers, you damned whiners

<canttellifseriousortrolling>

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

36. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 13:51 NewMaxx

680/7970 can both skip down to 30fps or below

This is true, minimum FPS is a valid metric as well, especially for 3D as you need to render twice the frames for it to be steady (120 FPS). In fact I shoot for 60+ FPS solid in all my games (with a 60 Hz monitor) to avoid tearing and slowdown (adaptive v-sync or v-sync with triple buffering); minimum drops are quite noticeable. The goal is to have the GPU power available for those times when things are demanding, but otherwise runs well below capacity (majority of gameplay for me is at 40-65% GPU usage, peaks at about 85-90%). Long story short...when you play PC games hardcore and expect a perfectly smooth experience at your monitor's large, native resolution, you know what card(s) you need.

35. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 13:50 Verno

wrong motherfuckers. 680/7970 can both skip down to 30fps or below in crysis/far cry/bf3/skyrim modded. you just need a 2560x monitor and the settings turned up.

don't preach unless you're on a 30" monitor playing all games at the highest settings. if you aren't part of the $1000 video card club or $1000 monitor club, don't open your stupid fingers, you damned whiners

Nah, you don't need a $1000 videocard to drive that setup and there's a difference between minimum framerates and average. You can spend yourself into debt chasing high mins that will always be elusive due to optimization, driver issues and etc. Single card solutions are a mixed bag for multi-mon and very high resolution gaming, there are many scenarios where SLI/CF is preferable as an upgrade path. Either way the real world usage scenario for something like this in a single monitor setup is going to be practically non-existent outside of a development environment. You can spend half the money and get the majority of the performance from a consumer part to drive your crazy Korean monitor or Apple Cinema Display.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 13:58.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

34. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 13:40 Steele Johnson

Until there's a great game that requires this type of horse power (and actually makes a difference), no need to upgrade. It's the software that's needed, not the hardware.  

33. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 13:39 Agent.X7

How not to get people to respect your opinion or you: Call them names in the first sentence of your reply. Imply that you are better and more knowledgeable about things because you have expensive toys.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

32. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 13:36 loomy

31. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 13:17 Agent.X7

I still use the GTX 590 card. Granted, Alienware has had to replace it 4 times, but I have yet to buy a game that it won't run maxed out at a good FPS rate. Coupled with a bunch of RAM, some SSDs, and an Intel i-7 2600 and I have had a computer for almost 2 years that still isn't being pushed too hard.

Go back to the early 2000s and try to play the newest games with a PC that you weren't constantly upgrading. I think the preponderance of console ports is holding back PC gaming technology wise, but it's not necessarily a totally bad thing. For one thing I'm not spending a grand every year keeping up with technology just to play games.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

30. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 13:14 jdreyer

Xero wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 12:05:
This is beyond overkill. Especially for what is out right now. I'm still on a Intel QuadCore 2.9ghz with a 560GTX and I can handle most things I throw at it at either Ultra or High settings. Honestly I know my CPU is holding me back moreso now than my card but hey, this is a build that is in it's 4th year already...

Until gaming really steps up in terms of technology and the needed requirement to purchase one of these cards, I can't imagine throwing away money on this when the current crop can handle just about everything that is out on Ultra settings...

If your super rich and can toss away money, good for you, but for the typical human, I think we know what we need to game NOW.

Basically this.

Once the next gen consoles become established and we start seeing games built to that level there will be few games that push a graphic card newer than five years old. I estimate that will be in probably 2 years from now.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

29. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 13:06 jdreyer

Quboid wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 10:28:
There are probably games now that would push it, if you're using some sort of UltraHD display and antialiasing. Games are being held back by consoles but this doesn't mean they don't use our extra power in some way, just not as effectively as they could.

Triple monitor gaming on a single card would push it. That's why I picked up a 670 GTX, otherwise I would have been fine with my 460 GTX.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

28. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 12:55 NewMaxx

Boston wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 11:34:
I would keep expectations in check. It will be by far the fastest single-GPU card out there, but won't trump 690 or 7970 in crossfire in gaming performance.

Correct. Its real advantage is in SLI, as 2xTitan is a two-card SLI while 2x690 is a four-card SLI. You have severe diminishing returns past 2 cards in SLI, especially because memory is mirrored rather than shared (so the Titan's 6 GB is particularly spacious). For example, two-card SLI in my experience gets 80-90% scaling in optimized games, while a third card only nets about 50%-60% and a fourth card about 25%-33% (so for a decently optimized game, 1x = 100%, 2x = ~180%, 3x = ~235%, 4x = ~270%). Of course there are other factors like heat and power usage, but cost is actually not one of them...anybody gaming at this level has funds to spare and will want the most power for the space, making the Titan attractive for multi-GPU setups rather than single. Also, as others have stated, this is for multi-monitor gaming at massive resolutions (if not also 3D).

27. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 12:52 Verno

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

26. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 12:51 loomy

25. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 12:44 Techie714 ©

deqer wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 10:15:
So, I guess we'll see a new car soon called, the Titan. And perhaps a shaving razor called Titan, too. Right?

Is "titan" the new buzzword now a days? ...

LOL, I hope not it's the name of my consulting business since 2006.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

24. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 19, 2013, 12:23 HorrorScope

We'll probably see CPU bound issues in the benches.  

23. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 12:15 Tim

beyond overkill now is it?

Blimey, now I want one even more.

Please stop.

22. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 12:10 DaZ

Sounds good, but will it run Crysis?  

21. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 12:05 Xero

This is beyond overkill. Especially for what is out right now. I'm still on a Intel QuadCore 2.9ghz with a 560GTX and I can handle most things I throw at it at either Ultra or High settings. Honestly I know my CPU is holding me back moreso now than my card but hey, this is a build that is in it's 4th year already...

Until gaming really steps up in terms of technology and the needed requirement to purchase one of these cards, I can't imagine throwing away money on this when the current crop can handle just about everything that is out on Ultra settings...

If your super rich and can toss away money, good for you, but for the typical human, I think we know what we need to game NOW.

Currently playing: Skyrim

20. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 11:47 EricTheMad

Wtf is the point of having this kinda power if most Developers don`t push the vis envelope in their games.

[url=]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpgpu[/url]
[url=]http://www.anandtech.com/show/6760/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-1/4[/url]

People seem to be missing the point of this. Yes, you could use it as a desktop GPU. But it's intended purpose is as a GPGPU in supercomputers.

If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do they all drown? -- Bucky B. Katt

19. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 11:34 Boston

I would keep expectations in check. It will be by far the fastest single-GPU card out there, but won't trump 690 or 7970 in crossfire in gaming performance.

here's what Tom's Hardware says (without revealing numbers):
Pay the same $1,000 for a GeForce GTX 690 if you only want one dual-slot card and your case accommodates the long board. It remains the fastest graphics solution we’ve ever tested, so there's no real reason not to favor it over Titan.

The Titan isn’t worth $600 more than a Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition. Two of AMD’s cards are going to be faster and cost less. Of course, they’re also distractingly loud when you hit them with a demanding load. Make sure you have room for two dual-slot cards with one vacant space between them. Typically, I frown on such inelegance, but more speed for $200 less could be worth the trade-off in a roomy case.

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo