Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GeForce GTX TITAN Announced

NVIDIA announces the GeForce GTX TITAN, saying their new graphics card can make your PC a "gaming supercomputer" in the vein of The World's #1 Open Science Supercomputer. Word is: "Despite being ten times more powerful than its predecessor, the Titan supercomputer takes up the same amount of space and uses the same amount of power. Only GTX TITAN brings this rare combination of raw power and incredible efficiency to PC gaming." There are p/reviews of the new card on AnandTech, Guru3D, Hardware Canucks, Hardware Heaven, Legit Reviews, and Overclockers Club.

View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

58. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 17:40 descender

Running single player games and multiplayer games is not really the same amount of processing power.

If your rig doesn't stutter or drop frames at all in massive online battles in the game of your choosing, it must be one in a million.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 17:22 kyleb

dj LiTh wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 16:25:
kyleb wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 16:23:
For the record, Nvidia'a Scalable Link Interface is vastly different than 3dfx's Scan-Line Interleave.

Now remind me who bought 3dfx?
The first link I posted answers that question.

56. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 16:49 Asmo

AngelicPenguin wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 11:17:
Shataan wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 10:16:
Wtf is the point of having this kinda power if most Developers don`t push the vis envelope in their games.

Multi-screen gaming.

Not required, I run 6080x1200 (3x 24" 1920x1200) on a single GTX680 4 gig (the extra RAM makes the big difference with the extra displays, a 2 gig has issues with the textures), typically most games can run med-high no sweat. Far Cry 3 on high ran solidly, although I'd say envelope pushing with Crysis 3 might give it a heart attack... =)

55. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 16:46 Cutter

wtf_man wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 15:25:
loomy wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 13:36:
wrong motherfuckers.

Since that is plural, I guess your mom got passed around alot.

What can I say, Mrs. Cartman was really drunk the night of the barn dance. I'm sure as hell not his dad though!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

54. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 16:25 dj LiTh

kyleb wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 16:23:
For the record, Nvidia'a Scalable Link Interface is vastly different than 3dfx's Scan-Line Interleave.

Now remind me who bought 3dfx?

53. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 16:23 kyleb

For the record, Nvidia's Scalable Link Interface is vastly different than 3dfx's Scan-Line Interleave.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 17:20.

52. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 15:47 Verno

dj LiTh wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 15:27:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 15:14:
edaciousx wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 14:16:
SLI has come a LONG long way in the past few years. I realized a 80+% gain by adding a second video card (dual sli gtx 480 here)
I remember people saying the same thing back in '98.

So you remember people saying SLI has come along way the year it came out?

I think you're right, 98 or 99 was the first time I had SLI Voodoo cards, I don't even remember the tech existing before then.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

51. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 15:43 NewMaxx

I went SLI in the spring of 2008. I'm not an early adopter type, I wait until a technology is fairly mature. That being said, there were still a lot of issues - lack of features (multi-monitor settings), and some compatibility/stability problems. It took about 18 months before the majority of these were ironed out, and by the time I got my second set of cards in Dec 2010 it was pretty much perfect with very early driver/profile releases.

Performance was always pretty good, but there's no doubt in my mind that I went from an average of 60% to about 80% scaling over that time period, and I see as high as 90%+ in optimized titles (which are usually multi-platform/non-port like Skyrim, or PC-intended titles). NVIDIA really got their act together during that time frame for a variety of reasons.

AMD's Eyefinity/Crossfire does have some advantages but Nvidia is smooth for the "average" gamer - which actually I consider myself: these 2 cards were $320 total in Dec 2010 and outpace a stock 670 on most major titles. That's a really stellar value and it's by no means out of reach of many PC gamers price-wise; you can power it with 650W in many cases.

50. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 15:27 dj LiTh

SLI has come a LONG long way in the past few years. I realized a 80+% gain by adding a second video card (dual sli gtx 480 here)

So you remember people saying SLI has come along way the year it came out?

49. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 15:25 wtf_man

wrong motherfuckers.

Since that is plural, I guess your mom got passed around alot.

48. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 15:14 Mashiki Amiketo

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

47. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 15:06 descender

I'm not sure that the review on Tom's is his best work. It's already performing at essentially the same level as two of the currently fastest video cards available. When drivers are actually released and optimized for this card, it could see huge gains in performance over the cards who have already had their drivers optimized.

It's price point makes it strictly an enthusiast card, as is anything over the $400 mark. A niche market at best.

The real benefits to the consumer will be from the trickle down of the kepler architecture to more affordable cards.

46. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 15:03 Verno

AngelicPenguin wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 14:51:
While it pains me greatly to say so, I actually have to agree with loony (sic.) A single 7970 at 2560 resolution would not maintain 60fps on the highest settings in any of the examples he listed.

I never claimed it would, I'm just saying you don't need to run out and buy a $1000+ quasi-commercial card to solve that "problem" necessarily but hey if thats how someone wants to spend their money *shrug*. You can't simply set a framerate target in stone either, different engines are optimized for different targets. The original Crysis is a great example of that. My personal philosophy is to shoot for reasonable averages at what I consider playable at the highest settings.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 15:12.

45. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 15:00 {PH}88fingers

yeah DangerDog, I also bought it from "red cap" and also received 100% pixel perfect.

Saying they are not in the same league as Dell is fine (the base is sort of flimsy compared etc) but the screen image/quality is what we are looking at when we are working/gaming and I can say I LOVE this thing. for 300$ shipped, it's like a no brainer!

44. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 14:51 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 13:50:
wrong motherfuckers. 680/7970 can both skip down to 30fps or below in crysis/far cry/bf3/skyrim modded. you just need a 2560x monitor and the settings turned up.

don't preach unless you're on a 30" monitor playing all games at the highest settings. if you aren't part of the $1000 video card club or $1000 monitor club, don't open your stupid fingers, you damned whiners

Nah, you don't need a $1000 videocard to drive that setup and there's a difference between minimum framerates and average. You can spend yourself into debt chasing high mins that will always be elusive due to optimization, driver issues and etc. Single card solutions are a mixed bag for multi-mon and very high resolution gaming, there are many scenarios where SLI/CF is preferable as an upgrade path. Either way the real world usage scenario for something like this in a single monitor setup is going to be practically non-existent outside of a development environment. You can spend half the money and get the majority of the performance from a consumer part to drive your crazy Korean monitor or Apple Cinema Display.

While it pains me greatly to say so, I actually have to agree with loony (sic.) A single 7970 at 2560 resolution would not maintain 60fps on the highest settings in any of the examples he listed.

43. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 14:43 DangerDog

{PH}88fingers wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 14:14:
I bought one of those 27" korean monitors 2560x1440 on ebay for like $300 (included 2 day DHL shipping) and it was one of the best purchases I have ever made. Seriously the thing kicks ass, no idea why you all wouldn't jump- Had it over 6 months now, I guess time will tell if it holds up.

So yeah, not saying this gfx card is needed, but at those resolutions and my love of single gpu gaming(tried SLI on two occasions in the past and will never go back) I welcome high end cards.

(I currently have a gtx 570 and the 1.2gb of ram is probably on the limit considering my resolution)

Hello there fellow 27" korean monitor owner, I too think this was the most kick ass upgrade I made last year. I spend a little over $300 for a "pixel perfect" one - some say it doesn't matter and it's just luck of the draw but it ended up being 100% pixel perfect.

They're not for everyone though, the screen glare needs to be offset by proper lighting in your room, warranty support is not going to happen due to expensive shipping - if your monitor arrives DOA it's an instant $100 shipping bill to send it back. You have to navigate a bunch of ebay sellers and do a bunch of research on who to buy from, bought mine from "red cap".

As for this graphics card, if it boosted rendering performance for 3D programs like Max, Maya, Modo greatly then it could be an asset to people outside of gaming. Ability to render out complex video scenes from After Effects realtime?

For gaming there is the Oculus Rift headset which the developers say they need solid 60 frames per second for fluid feedback. If they get the 1080p screen in the retail version then needing a super-high performing graphics card might be needed.

Verno wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 14:23:
monitors with missing settings menus

The lack of an on board hardware scaler (you let your graphics card do the scaling work) and no on screen menu is a good thing as you get a monitor with a faster response time. It also means that you can't effectively use these monitors in a single display setup, you'll need another monitor that does have hardware scaler to see your bios setup information.

They're not in the same league as a Dell, but then you're not paying $1000 for one either. The lack of anti-glare coating is a plus now that I've experienced the clarity of a screen without it. It's dependent on how you have your monitor setup with regards to natural light from windows of course.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 14:51.

42. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 14:31 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 10:50:
Not mentioned, the eight 6-pin power connectors it will need.

So which of these is actually 'better?'

Stream Processors 2688 2 x 1536
Texture Units 224 2 x 128
ROPs 48 2 x 32
Memory Bus Width 384-bit 2 x 256-bit

Because offhand you'd say that the 690's numbers are slightly higher? I have no idea if graphics cards work that way, though.

Creston

There's been some talk about SLI already, but to answer your question specifically: a dual-GPU card basically works by integrating SLI into the circuit board. If we assume that adding a second video card in SLI gives you an 80% boost to performance, the 690 would be 180% compared to a single 680. But if you had the same specs all in one chip, without the SLI bridge in between, you would get the full 200% (in theory), minus the additional heat and power consumption from doubling up.

Either way, there has to be something else NVIDIA has done with Titan to justify them touting 10x the power, so just comparing specs side by side will not be an accurate assessment. Similar to major architectural changes Intel implemented with Core 2 Duo to make the CPU exponentially more efficient than Pentium 4, despite much lower clock speeds.

41. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 14:23 Verno

{PH}88fingers wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 14:14:
I bought one of those 27" korean monitors 2560x1440 on ebay for like $300 (included 2 day DHL shipping) and it was one of the best purchases I have ever made. Seriously the thing kicks ass, no idea why you all wouldn't jump- Had it over 6 months now, I guess time will tell if it holds up.

Those things are really hit and miss is the problem, its hard to generalize. A lot of people end up with lemons, monitors with missing settings menus, dead pixels, weird banding problems and etc. Often times they have lower grade panels or other parts that failed a manufacturing QA pass. If you get lucky it can be a bargain but speaking for myself I place a lot of value in good parts with a strong warranty.

40. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 14:16 edaciousx

39. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 14:14 {PH}88fingers

So yeah, not saying this gfx card is needed, but at those resolutions and my love of single gpu gaming(tried SLI on two occasions in the past and will never go back) I welcome high end cards.

(I currently have a gtx 570 and the 1.2gb of ram is probably on the limit considering my resolution)

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 14:20.

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo