Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat

The Société de transport de Montreal is considering legal action over a Counter-Strike map depicting the Berri-UQAM Metro Station in Montreal, reports The Escapist, citing Le Journal de Montreal (which returns a 404 "not found error for us at the moment). They say one of the map's authors, Diego Liatis, was contacted by the STM saying they do not want their "copyrighted metro network" recreated in the game for fear "the game could create panic among the city's public transit users," presumably by teaching terrorists the layout without them having to pay the $3.00 fare. Apparently the team behind this project was previously denied permission to recreate the subway station in the first-person shooter, and ultimately decided they didn't think they could be legally prohibited from recreating a public space in this way. Liatis says he's been threatened with a $50,000 fine plus court costs if the map is publically released, and The Escapist has confirmed with an STM representative that unspecified legal action is being considered. Thanks nin via Kotaku.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat Feb 20, 2013, 10:47 w00tie

Ant wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 01:25:
I remember ActionQuake 2 (AQ2) had to change logos like Coca Cola. I forgot what they changed it to.
That's in no way related. What you're talking about is the same reason why almost every company in the entertainment industry is a fake/parody company. It costs money to use trademarked images and names.
You can't hold a trademark on a public place.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat Feb 20, 2013, 01:25 Ant

DangerDog wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 18:05:
ugly map, just don't use the logo and there's nothing they can do.

I prefer satire over the real thing anyway, if I were to make a map parody of Burger King I would call it Horse King with posters claiming burgers made with 100% Horse Beef.
I remember ActionQuake 2 (AQ2) had to change logos like Coca Cola. I forgot what they changed it to.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

18. Re: Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat Feb 19, 2013, 23:09 Dev

Creston wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 18:40:
and ultimately decided they didn't think they could be legally prohibited from recreating a public space in this way.

They can't be. Not 100% on Canada, but in Europe or the US there's no way they can sue you for depicting a public place in any way, shape or form.

Creston
Anyone can sue for anything. Its can they win thats the question. Plus, that statement isn't quite correct in a few ways.
For instance, if they make an artistic interpretation of a public place and sell it, and then someone else comes and copies that interpretation and tries to pass it off as their own and sell it, then that could be violating.

Also, if there's art or sculptures in those public places, getting permission for that may be required.

It also depends if stuff is permanent or temporary.

For instance, here's a case in europe (which you seem to be claiming is 100% allowed) in which Germany's Reichstag building was temporarily changed and the change was allowed to be copyrighted. So anyone trying to sell pictures of it in that form has to get permission from that one person.
Pretty sure that's a public place, and is depiction of a particular way, shape and form.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1782186.stm

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 23:24.

17. Re: Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat Feb 19, 2013, 18:40 Creston

and ultimately decided they didn't think they could be legally prohibited from recreating a public space in this way.

They can't be. Not 100% on Canada, but in Europe or the US there's no way they can sue you for depicting a public place in any way, shape or form.

Creston

16. Re: Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat Feb 19, 2013, 18:20 RollinThundr

Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 14:50:
nin wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 09:20:
ShadyPete wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 09:14:
clearly something happens to the human brain when it becomes a public official.

It's all abut keeping people in fear. And compliant.

It's Canada nin, we don't live on the fear train like y'all do, eh.

We don't live in fear either, well maybe the liberals do since everything tends to offend them in one way or another.

This is almost as ridiculous as the City of Montreal doing a criminal investigation over a Zdneno Chara check during the NHL playoffs a couple years ago trying to prosecute a player because one of their guys got hurt.

15. Re: Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat Feb 19, 2013, 18:05 DangerDog

ugly map, just don't use the logo and there's nothing they can do.

I prefer satire over the real thing anyway, if I were to make a map parody of Burger King I would call it Horse King with posters claiming burgers made with 100% Horse Beef.

14. Re: Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat Feb 19, 2013, 14:50 Yosemite Sam

nin wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 09:20:

It's Canada nin, we don't live on the fear train like y'all do, eh.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

13. Re: Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat Feb 19, 2013, 14:35 ASeven

As Techdirt correctly puts it, we are living in the "ownership" society, where corporations and idiots will do everything they can to abuse the copyright, trademark and patent systems to benefit them. It doesn't help that those 3 systems are all broken as hell.  

12. Re: Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat Feb 19, 2013, 14:11 Dev

BTW, this is not a unique canadian craziness, a lot of places and buildings in the US, someone claims to own the copyright/trademark on. There was a change in law about 20 years ago that has given rise to a lot of claims and lawsuits similar to this situation.  

11. Re: Counter-Strike Map Lawsuit Threat Feb 19, 2013, 11:42 Linksil

This reminds me of my first quake map being based around my school. I wonder how copyright works with buildings vs recreations online/in games. I'd think any open space falls under free use.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

10. Re: Counter-Strike Map Lawsuit Threat Feb 19, 2013, 11:00 InBlack

Verno wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 08:42:
Hahah you can't be serious, that is priceless.

Yeah, with their french/british roots I would have thought the Canadians more sensible. I guess theyve been living next to americans for too long...

/ducks

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat Feb 19, 2013, 10:18 deqer

"You need to pay the $3.00 fare! Waaaaaaaaahhhhhh!"

lulz

8. Re: Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat Feb 19, 2013, 09:44 ItBurn

Being a Quebecker, I'm not surprised in the least. They spend time and money on the most assinine things. Now that cancer and the energy crysis are solved, let's ban media depicting public places. It's not like the fucking metro system is perfect.  

7. Re: Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat Feb 19, 2013, 09:36 Tipsy McStagger

Wow, this is down right idiotic. Good job City of Montreal transportation board. You people just earned my disrespect.

6. Re: Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat Feb 19, 2013, 09:20 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat Feb 19, 2013, 09:14 ShadyPete

4. Re: Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat Feb 19, 2013, 09:03 Cutter

It's a public space paid for by the Canadian taxpayers so unless they intend on having a referendum they haven't got a leg to stand on. But seriously, is this how a handful of assholes justifies their salary? Cereal?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Counter-Strike Map Legal Threat Feb 19, 2013, 08:59 Omni

lol  

2. Re: Counter-Strike Map Lawsuit Threat Feb 19, 2013, 08:55 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 08:42:

Give it to me - I will release it.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

1. Re: Counter-Strike Map Lawsuit Threat Feb 19, 2013, 08:42 Verno

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo