Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 20, 2013, 14:50 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 10:52:
Saboth wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 19:12:
Sometimes while shopping, BB will actually have a price lower than Amazon (very rarely). I gladly pay $5-$10 more to buy from Amazon even at the higher price. I don't have to drive to BB, I don't have to be hassled by salesmen or shoppers, have warranties or cable sales pushed on me, and my item is delivered right to my door. Even if Amazon had sales tax, I most likely will not set foot in BB.

Not to mention, you will most likely spend an hour or two in the store arguing with managers over whether the model you are pointing to on Newegg is the same model in stock at BB.

On the other hand when something goes wrong an Amazon delivery, a common enough tale for things like televisions, you're often left to deal with it over the course of weeks instead of hours. I don't really care if they want to push silly things on me, I'm an adult and I just say politely but firmly say no. I think some things are great to buy from anywhere but there is some value in the Best Buy return policy.

I agree, I used to get my cameras there for this reason. But now I don't b/c BB has done such a crappy job managing itself that I don't know if they'll even be around in two years when I need to take said camera in for servicing.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 20, 2013, 10:52 Verno

Saboth wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 19:12:
Sometimes while shopping, BB will actually have a price lower than Amazon (very rarely). I gladly pay $5-$10 more to buy from Amazon even at the higher price. I don't have to drive to BB, I don't have to be hassled by salesmen or shoppers, have warranties or cable sales pushed on me, and my item is delivered right to my door. Even if Amazon had sales tax, I most likely will not set foot in BB.

Not to mention, you will most likely spend an hour or two in the store arguing with managers over whether the model you are pointing to on Newegg is the same model in stock at BB.

On the other hand when something goes wrong an Amazon delivery, a common enough tale for things like televisions, you're often left to deal with it over the course of weeks instead of hours. I don't really care if they want to push silly things on me, I'm an adult and I just say politely but firmly say no. I think some things are great to buy from anywhere but there is some value in the Best Buy return policy.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

20. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 20, 2013, 00:29 eRe4s3r

So your gov reads your spam mails? ,) Anyway, that was in 2007 .. if you want a throw-away spam catch account hushmail is the best, 1 you could potentially annoy your government by sending them spam and 2 the account goes away if you forget about it

I rather take them than a gmail account for spam or throw-away use, which I am 100% sure can instantly find out how many gmail accounts a person has, how they are linked etc.

19. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2013, 19:12 Saboth

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2013, 18:48 Klaus Flouride

Creston wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 18:39:
Klaus Flouride wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 17:27:
BB won't kill showrooming for one reason and one reason only: TAXES. I can get nearly anything off Amazon tax free. That is a big deal on big ticket items like tele's and laptops where taxes can add hundreds to the final price. The only thing BB has over Amazon is hot young girls showing me items, of which they know next to nothing about other then it's name and can they up-sell me an extended warranty.

Enjoy your tax-free Amazon while you can. It'll last maybe one or two more years, then it's done.

And where is this mythical Best Buy that employs hot young girls? The ones here only employ dipshit 19 year old guys who think they know what the fuck they're talking about.

Creston

Any BB I have been in has them. Then again I haven't been to a BB in an area devoid of decent looking females, such as North Dakota or Iowa.

When all else fails empty the magazine...

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2013, 18:39 Creston

Klaus Flouride wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 17:27:
BB won't kill showrooming for one reason and one reason only: TAXES. I can get nearly anything off Amazon tax free. That is a big deal on big ticket items like tele's and laptops where taxes can add hundreds to the final price. The only thing BB has over Amazon is hot young girls showing me items, of which they know next to nothing about other then it's name and can they up-sell me an extended warranty.

Enjoy your tax-free Amazon while you can. It'll last maybe one or two more years, then it's done.

And where is this mythical Best Buy that employs hot young girls? The ones here only employ dipshit 19 year old guys who think they know what the fuck they're talking about.

Creston

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2013, 17:27 Klaus Flouride

When all else fails empty the magazine...

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2013, 17:13 nin

nvmd misread  
http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2013, 17:12 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 16:15:
wtf_man wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 10:02:
ldonyo wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 09:35:
Best Buy's price-matching will only kill showrooming when their in-store selection is equal to the Internet's and they do the price matching automatically, not only when asked.

...and when they don't try to ram an extended warranty down your throat... and when they don't try to sell you a $5 HDMI cable for $35.
I have always felt that BB is really missing an opportunity with cables. Cables are things that people need right away usually and by selling them at cost, could generate both good will and customers in store.

it seems nobody except amazon understands the value of good will anymore. BB could've been a market leader at both retail and online if they had just focused on a hassle-free shopping experience. they already had the inventory name recognition. now amazon is the 800 lb gorilla, and one you want to hug at that. i just hope they don't turn into money-grubbing fucks over time as well.

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2013, 17:05 TurdFergasun

jdreyer wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 16:15:
Best Buy's price-matching will only kill showrooming when their in-store selection is equal to the Internet's and they do the price matching automatically, not only when asked.

...and when they don't try to ram an extended warranty down your throat... and when they don't try to sell you a $5 HDMI cable for $35.
I have always felt that BB is really missing an opportunity with cables. Cables are things that people need right away usually and by selling them at cost, could generate both good will and customers in store.

BB does carry off-brand cables, at least in my area they have their store brand called rocketfish. Basically re-badged monoprice cables at 5x the price, and 100x the hype.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2013, 16:15 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2013, 15:29 Mashiki Amiketo

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 10:34:
Why not use hushmail for that? Auto deletes itself (the account, after 30 days without login) if you don't need it too. 100% anon
This is why.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2013, 12:53 Beamer

Showrooming TVs at Best Buy is a bad idea, anyway. They distort reality.

The $35 cable? I won't fault them for carrying Monster - why not? I will fault them for not carrying off-brand cables at reasonable prices. Yeah, I get that you can't fully compete with online cables, but you can at least be within the same stratosphere. If a 5' cable is $5 online it shouldn't be $15 in store.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2013, 12:45 PropheT

Best Buy has already killed Best Buy for good as far as I'm concerned. The only reason to go there was the showroom items like TV's; just stopping in for a cable or adapter or computer part is either an exercise in frustration or bad judgment when they want $35 for a $5 HDMI cable or something similar.

Or when I was installing a hard drive for a friend at work and needed another molex to SATA power connector and they drug out their geek squad guys to insist that such a thing didn't exist, when most of the retail box hard drives they stock on their shelves and charge people to install come with one.

I really used to like them but I just don't go there anymore.

Hotmail going away could suck. I hope I can change the sites I have that email address registered to without any trouble. Hopefully I don't lose all my email there with another conversion like when Microsoft took over in 98 or whatever it was.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2013, 11:21 Creston

Hahahaha, oh Best Buy, you are so funny. Killed it for good? Everyone is suddenly, miraculously going to KNOW that you will price-match basically everyone?

And all the people who are showrooming are going to have the patience to find one of your dipshit, non-trained store clerks, ask for a price match, then be talked to by the slackjawed monkey as he tries to convince them to buy a more expensive product which ISN'T price-matched, AND to get the four year replacement plan on it, despite them having already said "NO!" five times in a row?

Oooookay. Rolleyes

There is only one thing that's going to stop showrooming, and that's you going out of business, which is basically inevitable by now. (not that I really WANT BB to go out of business, but oh well.)

Creston

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2013, 10:55 Cutter

nin wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 09:29:
Cutter wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 09:24:
Hotmail is my trash account anyway so it doesn't matter.

Yeah, I use mine for the spamiest of the spam. But I still use it, and don't want that shit on my good accounts.

Yeah, but I just meant you could always open another trash on account on gmail, et al if Hotmail was gone.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2013, 10:34 eRe4s3r

Why not use hushmail for that? Auto deletes itself (the account, after 30 days without login) if you don't need it too. 100% anon  

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2013, 10:02 wtf_man

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2013, 09:35 ldonyo

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2013, 09:29 nin

Cutter wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 09:24:
Hotmail is my trash account anyway so it doesn't matter.

Yeah, I use mine for the spamiest of the spam. But I still use it, and don't want that shit on my good accounts.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo