Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

CISPA Re-Proposed

The Electronic Frontier Foundation announces the return of CISPA, as the U.S. is once again looking to enact the "Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act" (thanks Ant via Boing Boing). Here's a bit on this and what we can do about it:

Last year, Representatives Rogers and Ruppersberger introduced CISPA, which would create a gaping new exemption to existing privacy law. CISPA would grant companies more power to obtain “threat” information (such as from private communications of users) and to disclose that data to the government without a warrant -- including sending data to the National Security Agency.

This week, CISPA was reintroduced in the House of Representatives. EFF is joining groups like ACLU and Fight for the Future in combating this legislation.

Last year, tens of thousands of concerned individuals used the EFF action center to speak out against overbroad and ineffective cybersecurity proposals. Together, we substantially changed the debate around cybersecurity in the U.S., moving forward a range of privacy-protective amendments and ultimately helping to defeat the Senate bill.

Now we need your help again. Can you send a message to your Representatives asking them to oppose this bill?

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: CISPA Re-Proposed Feb 19, 2013, 11:53 Creston

Quboid wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 21:23:
This is sick. How out of touch do you have to be as a politician to support this in any way?

I imagine most of the shitheels in Washington are about $100,000 out of touch. Give or take a few.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: CISPA Re-Proposed Feb 19, 2013, 01:38 eRe4s3r

Credible organizations tend to have no money..  

11. Re: CISPA Re-Proposed Feb 18, 2013, 23:29 Tom

Can you send a message to your Representatives asking them to oppose this bill?

If only they actually represented us instead of corporations and themselves - then we would at least have a fighting chance at having a working government. How does this get fixed? This is the problem that the Internet community should be rallying around. Where is the credible organization advancing this cause?

10. Re: CISPA Re-Proposed Feb 18, 2013, 23:25 deqer

Bill Borre wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 21:38:
Why don't we just shoot these fuckers?
I'm sure they feel the same way about us.

Anyways.

Do people really think they are going to let us win and oppose the bill? No. One way or another, it will come, in one form or another.

9. White House Petition Feb 18, 2013, 22:52 Rain

Not sure it does anything but...

White House Petition

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."
------------------------------------------------

8. Re: CISPA Re-Proposed Feb 18, 2013, 22:27 Cutter

Note this coming from both parties. Vote Jessie Ventura and end the two party elite stranglehold!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

7. Re: CISPA Re-Proposed Feb 18, 2013, 21:47 nin

Bill Borre wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 21:38:

Well, for one thing, even talk of that is a great way for you to meet your local law enforcement.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

6. Re: CISPA Re-Proposed Feb 18, 2013, 21:38 Bill Borre

5. Re: CISPA Re-Proposed Feb 18, 2013, 21:23 Quboid

This is sick. How out of touch do you have to be as a politician to support this in any way? I can't imagine these guys give any thought to the people they are supposed to represent and are solely interested in pleasing their sponsors. That's not new and not surprising, but it's still appalling.

Please, American Bluesnewsers, do what you can to stop this. And this is so much easier said than done, but get money out of your politics.

- Quboid

4. Re: CISPA Re-Proposed Feb 18, 2013, 21:18 Bhruic

jdreyer wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 20:21:
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

That's what makes this so clever. By not requiring warrants, they slide around it nicely, because if you don't need warrants, you don't need to ensure you have probable cause!

3. Re: CISPA Re-Proposed Feb 18, 2013, 20:21 jdreyer

I'm so glad that orgs like the EFF and ACLU exist to fight BS like this. It's so telling of the corruption of our system when politicians propose legislation like this that not only invades our privacy, but also is a huge taxpayer-funded payout to the private corporations implementing this. We're essentially paying the government to spy on us. I'll leave with two quotes. The fourth amendment:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

So much for that. Quote by Ben Franklin:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Indeed.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: CISPA Re-Proposed Feb 18, 2013, 20:15 nin

Oh, always.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: CISPA Re-Proposed Feb 18, 2013, 20:11 Narf2029

I see there's always federal money to be wasted.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo