Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers

The GeForce Website now offers new version 314.07 WHQL-certified drivers for NVIDIA GeForce accelerators. They call this an "essential update for gamers jumping into Crysis 3 this week," as single-GPU and multi-GPU performance in Crytek’s shooter sequel is improved by up to 65% in the new version. They add: "Other highlights include sizeable SLI and single-GPU performance gains of up to 27% in Assassin’s Creed III, 19% in Civilization V, 14% in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, 14% in DiRT 3, 11% in Just Cause 2, 10% in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, 10% in F1 2012, and 10% in Far Cry 3."

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 19, 2013, 16:43 Asmo

I'm convinced the "issues" with the drivers are generally related to, at least in regards to the 6xx series, adjustments to the auto-overclocking that occurs on that range of cards.

My Palit 680 started getting Windows "your display driver has recovered from an error" immediately after I updated to the 310-ish beta drivers and got progressively worse until I rma'd it (multiple rebuilds, testing on a friends machine etc). Until that point it had been rock solid.

That being said, Radeon drivers currently are kinda poo... On an Asus ROG Matrix Plat 7970 (ie. top of the line factory OC'd card), most current and plenty of old games either showed bad artifacts or CTD's. But benchmarks ran perfectly for hours. In terms of pure performance, the 680 4 gig outran the 7970 handily in most tests, and nVidia's implementation of Surround is superior to Eyefinity despite being less mature.

The hardware is great but damned if either mob have got their shit together on drivers...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 19, 2013, 15:22 Mashiki Amiketo

Reactor wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 05:24:
EDIT: Sorry, I should say that if you're getting a driver crash, it could be because of one of these many causes...

Forum link

Why it's common with FC3 though...
To be honest, there is one commonality in it all. Back around 276(might have been a bit earlier or later) or so, Nvidia introduced way to deal with power consumption for core voltage and TDR's jumped through the roof, even on cards that were stable. It was one of their ways to deal with the never ending problems of power consumption+heat. The problem is some cards didn't like it, not a single bit. It actually got bad enough at one point that nvidia was willing to have any rig+card shipped to them from anywhere in the US so they could test it in their labs.

One of the solutions found was locking the voltage outside of the drivers fixed it. It's been an ongoing issue, and one that I had problems with myself. Changing drivers to a previously known stable version fixed it in all cases, an that was back on my old 460 and 560. Two cards, in two different rigs, using nearly identical build components.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

22. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 19, 2013, 13:09 nin

You should read some of the reviews of Crysis 3.. they all pan it as mediocre shooter with broken AI that is even more broken because of cloak + bow.

I've not read every review, but the few I stumbled across said that and then immediately "but boy is it pretty <decent score>".

Not surprising, but still disappointing.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 19, 2013, 12:55 eRe4s3r

You should read some of the reviews of Crysis 3.. they all pan it as mediocre shooter with broken AI that is even more broken because of cloak + bow.

Pretty, but boring. (ehm, point being.. it isn't that anticipated ,p)

20. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 19, 2013, 11:28 AngelicPenguin

wow, check it out AMD. Your competitor released a non beta driver for an anticipated new game BEFORE release.  

19. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 19, 2013, 09:44 Tim

Meh, no harm done and we all skim stuff

18. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 19, 2013, 08:28 Sho

Aye, sorry - I actually scanned the article text, but for whatever reason didn't check the graphs for a key. *facepalm*  

17. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 19, 2013, 06:50 Tim

Sho wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 06:24:
Eh, for stuff like Civ 5 and DXHR these sound suspiciously like the same improvement numbers they spouted for the last driver release as well. Anyone know what they're using as baseline? I'm guessing it's "driver we shipped the GPU with originally", not "last driver release" ...

If you click on the link, and read the article it tells you what the comparison is. Clue: look at he graphs, then the key underneath..

Not exactly 'underhand' and remember that this is a WHQL 'full release' for everyone (nvidia update by default ignores betas).

16. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 19, 2013, 06:24 Sho

Eh, for stuff like Civ 5 and DXHR these sound suspiciously like the same improvement numbers they spouted for the last driver release as well. Anyone know what they're using as baseline? I'm guessing it's "driver we shipped the GPU with originally", not "last driver release" ...  

15. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 19, 2013, 05:24 Reactor

So far, I've been unable to use anything newer than 296.10 on my PC. If I try, any game I run goes to black screen, and I have to reboot. I think it has something to do with over-scanning the display, but I can't figure it out. Very frustrating.

I have this issue with Farcry 3. Tons and tons of other people have the issue, but it seems no one on the planet seems to know why it's happening.

EDIT: Sorry, I should say that if you're getting a driver crash, it could be because of one of these many causes...

Forum link

Why it's common with FC3 though...

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 05:33.

14. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 19, 2013, 05:05 Mashiki Amiketo

Generally folks, anytime there's a new driver released I pop over to the EVGA forums and check the 500/600 sections to see what the guys are saying in terms of quality. There isn't much being said right now, but some of the posts in the range of "not impressed, rushed, and POS." If that helps anyone out.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

13. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 19, 2013, 04:22 Tim

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 22:15:
For what it's worth I update to every beta release and even though I have an SLI setup it's always rock-solid. There's the occasional issue with missing SLI profiles but I don't recall having an issue with the drivers themselves.

That's my experience - i went SLI for the first time last year and expected abject horror and endless pain (going on whats often said about it) and really i've had almost none of that. Performance is great 99% of the time and nvidia are quick to get the driver updates out (witness C3 support just-in-time) in my experience. About the only thing I can think of that caused me an issue was asscreed3's snow being borked in SLI (but I wouldn't exclusively blame nvidia for that by any means).

YMMV but i'm really happy with my system (670's in SLI).

One small annoyance is that every time I update the drivers SLI gets turned off for some odd reason (safety?) so if i forget to turn it back on i'm wondering why one card is bored (i have a small LCD display showing me cpu/temps and gpu loading under the monitor otherwise i'd often not know given many games run fine on a single 670).

12. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 19, 2013, 02:47 PropheT

Atomic wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 20:06:
So far, I've been unable to use anything newer than 296.10 on my PC. If I try, any game I run goes to black screen, and I have to reboot. I think it has something to do with over-scanning the display, but I can't figure it out. Very frustrating.

Go into the Nvidia control panel, click on change resolution, hit Customize, and uncheck the box for "enable resolutions not exposed by the display" and see if that helps. If the monitor/TV you're on is reporting correctly that should prevent it from doing anything like overscanning, but your problem sounds more like a VPU reset issue (driver stops responding) if it happened even after a fresh Windows install.

Would probably need more information for anything more than that (3D, HDMI/DVI, Card type, SLI or no, etc.).

11. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 19, 2013, 00:12 eRe4s3r

Atomic wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 20:49:
nin wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 20:11:
Did you try the setting in the installer where you have the option of removing all previous settings? That's a shot in the dark guess...

Yea, even went so far as to a completely fresh install of the OS. Appreciate the tip though.

What OS is it? I seem to recall such an issue happening when your monitor reports the wrong "max" resolution. In that case, did you try editing the screen profile file/registry in windows? (You gotta use google sorry... I can't explain how to do it anymore ,p)

If it's an issue like that it could also be related to how you connected the screen to the pc. HDMI? DVI? what cable specifically? Especially with HDMI maybe your GPU can also be a problem... just guessing. But I had the same issue, and it was caused by the game asking "What's the MAX resolution and MAX refresh this screen supports" .. which was beyond what my monitor actually could support... This is like, eons ago though. I honestly don't remember fully how I fixed it. But it involved editing a driver installer...

10. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 18, 2013, 22:15 theyarecomingforyou

For what it's worth I update to every beta release and even though I have an SLI setup it's always rock-solid. There's the occasional issue with missing SLI profiles but I don't recall having an issue with the drivers themselves.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

9. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 18, 2013, 21:21 nin

Yea, even went so far as to a completely fresh install of the OS.

Wow!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 18, 2013, 21:19 The Half Elf

I tried the beta version of the drivers and the old studdering issue in Battlefield 3 came back, so not diving into these yet.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 18, 2013, 21:15 RaZ0r!

Yeah I dove in head first into SLI for the first time on my rig I built last summer without doing much research. I had no idea how badly supported SLI is by Nvidia.

And your right, I dunno what happened to their drivers. They break dozens of old games to say they have 14% more in DiRT3 performance??

No wonder so many people are happy just playing crap on Xbox.

6. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 18, 2013, 20:52 Sempai

Nvidia and their engineer team are seemingly made up of complete nitwits as of late.

They appear to have stopped reading customer feedback altogether.
I'm still having the issue of your bullshit driver randomly scrambling my desktop icons after shutting off either my monitor or receiver via hdmi.

Yknow, someone over there should enlighten these thick bastard's that if their driver isn't stable in everday use, then no one gives two shits about how it increases performance in Crysis 3..

Rolling back to 7 month old drivers on my 680 yet again..

5. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 18, 2013, 20:49 Atomic

nin wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 20:11:
Did you try the setting in the installer where you have the option of removing all previous settings? That's a shot in the dark guess...

Yea, even went so far as to a completely fresh install of the OS. Appreciate the tip though.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo