Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Funded

The Kickstarter Page for Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey announces the game is now officially funded, and that Red Thread Games' continuation of the RPG series has also surpassed its first stretch goal of $900K, ensuring that Linux and OS X versions will also be made. They also offer a new video update as well as details on The Loremaster, their next stretch goal. Thanks Ryota.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Funded Feb 19, 2013, 16:21 Creston

peteham wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 04:40:
I still think Chris Taylor's point stands to some extent, though maybe "fatigue" isn't the right word... Smarts?

Those mean completely different things. Taylor whined that people didn't have any money after Christmas, and that they had already spent all their money on previous Kickstarters and had nothing else to give. The Dreamfall KS proves him utterly wrong.

If he'd said "smarts", he basically would have said "people don't give to projects that don't look very good," which is a VERY different statement, and then he would have admitted that Wildman was, let's be honest, a less than stellar idea.

You absolutely do need a much stronger presentation these days, and preferably a pedigree or existing brand of some sort. That's not saying smaller project or a really novel idea couldn't make it, but I think it's be a while until we see another FTL. For the bigger projects, people being a bit more tight with their cash is probably partially offset by more and more people knowing about kickstarter, though.

I'm not really sure that that's changed all that much in the past year though. Sure, there are dumb people who will back dumb things, but that will always happen. Other than Double Fine basically saying "Give us money and we'll make something" and somehow getting 3.5+ million bucks, every other project that has gotten big funding has been a well-laid-out plan, even if it was mostly nostalgia driven. It's not as if KS was a treasure trove of Money For Shitty Ideas and now suddenly it's become a penny-pinching operation. You just need to come up with a good idea and show people that you have a plan in place.

The fact that Romero and Hall and Bathwaite tried to do a quick cash grab and failed horribly because they obviously had NOTHING demonstrates that people don't automatically give to nostalgic games. It's a bonus, sure, but you still need to make a convincing pitch.

Anyway, I'm glad this made its funding, but I'll just buy a copy when it's out.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Funded Feb 19, 2013, 05:59 eRe4s3r

Well I don't know about any others, but I always only pledge for what I think is worth supporting.. and I don't do it before the goal is hit. But maybe you are right, Wildmen just was too generic, had no appeal to any nostalgia or fan-base. Essentially, Kickstarter is more a "We make what you guys want" and not a "Let me make what I want to make" platform now. But to me that was always a given. I don't usually support things that are "indy" on Kickstarter, for one they often don't have Paypal.. and secondly the risk is too high that the resulting game will suck (or not be to my liking, or what I wanted). At least with these guys it's totally guaranteed that they truly WANT to make the best game they can in a genre that I am starved in.

And yeah.. I am not particularly a fan of all games and series, but The Longest Journey hit a spot (great, actually outstanding fantasy/sci-fi/mystery mix story) with great characters... the funny bird for one

And yeah, they hit themselves badly with not offering a digital only tier at 100$ or they would have gotten that much. 100$ is my limit for kickstarts.

The Longest Journey is by far the only adventure game where I genuinely cared for the characters and story, even the reasons why the Azadi invaded, and built that tower and unleashed the undreaming is probably quite interesting.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 06:05.

5. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Funded Feb 19, 2013, 04:52 peteham

*removed*.. I stupidly seem to have clicked REPLY instead of edit  

4. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Funded Feb 19, 2013, 04:40 peteham

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 23:56:
According to Kicktraq, 2m is nearly a given. If you add the last 3 day boost, paypal payments from Germans (and everyone else who doesn't want or can't use amazon payments...), and the current trend, 2m it is. So much for "Kickstart fatigue" haha I mean this game is as niche as it can get.
I still think Chris Taylor's point stands to some extent, though maybe "fatigue" isn't the right word... Smarts? You absolutely do need a much stronger presentation these days, and preferably a pedigree or existing brand of some sort. That's not saying smaller project or a really novel idea couldn't make it, but I think it's be a while until we see another FTL. For the bigger projects, people being a bit more tight with their cash is probably partially offset by more and more people knowing about kickstarter, though.

As far as Chapters goes, it's a beloved series for a genre that's reasonably hard to come by these days. It's no wonder they raised $500k in about two days; the biggest fans (your's truly included) were ready to jump on that train like a pack of starved monkeys...

I'm not sure this will reach 2 million, kicktraq's projections are really just linear estimates (or was the last time I read up on their projection method, anyway), but one can hope. At least the $1million "Longer Journey" (aka longer game) stretch goal should be in the bank with this many days to go, which is great. I'm sitting at $75 (digital) also. I'm kind of holding off on a possible pledge bump until later in the game, when/if they announce a stretch goal that interests me, and if it seems to be within reach. The next step for all-digital is a whopping $150, and the only added benefit compared to the $75 tier is a postcard and an audio book. I really want to see this happen, but I'm not running a charity here

Also, for the ones who aren't actively following this, here are the video updates that have been released so far.
Video update #1 http://youtu.be/-D5QFHw_Cwc (prototype gameplay)
Video update #2 http://youtu.be/kOJuh98LcQY

Also, the guys will be doing a live playthrough of Dreamfall on Friday which should be a fun way to experience developer commentary, heh. I'll try to tune in for a bit, though I doubt I'll be able to watch the whole thing

</shill :P>

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 04:56.

3. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Funded Feb 18, 2013, 23:56 eRe4s3r

Well I am in for 75$ now that they have paypal running Unlike others I think this deserves support, I absolutely loved TLJ series and hey.. I guess I buy one game less this year and that's it ;p

According to Kicktraq, 2m is nearly a given. If you add the last 3 day boost, paypal payments from Germans (and everyone else who doesn't want or can't use amazon payments...), and the current trend, 2m it is. So much for "Kickstart fatigue" haha I mean this game is as niche as it can get.

Mainly I "pledged" just for Crow and the White of Kin though. Wanna know what happened to both. I demand resolution ;D

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 00:02.

2. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Funded Feb 18, 2013, 20:45 saluk

Well in this case they are already pretty far along and have been working on it for some time. not to mention there is a significant built in fanbase here who would WANT to preorder for full price.

20$ is really not much, but everyone has their own price which is cool too.

1. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Funded Feb 18, 2013, 20:20 netnerd85

They might just get 1.5-2 mil

Again, I'm not backing a game unless it's $15 or less. Paying for a game to potentially be made, no guarantee. Never getting $20 out of me Greedy kickstarters if you ask me.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo