Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB

A couple of general indications from Bungie suggest the possibility that their just-announced Destiny may make to PCs after only being announced for consoles. "We would absolutely love to be on the PC. If you talk to the people upstairs, we play it on all platforms," Bungie COO Pete Parsons told Eurogamer. So, stay tuned." The PA Report has a similar vague hint from Parsons, who explains the game should be easy to port: "The interesting part is we, from the ground up, from the very beginning, we have made sure that [Destiny] can be on multiple platforms," he told them. "Its one thing to say it, its another to design and actually architect for it, which weve absolutely done." On the other hand, Destructoid has a quote from Bungie cofounder Jason Jones suggesting playing first-person shooters with mice and keyboards is obsolete, as their "ambitious" moves with Halo of limiting players to two weapons and recharging health have changed the FPS. "We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people," Jones told them. "We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game -- almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to."

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

31. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 23:15 Smellfinger

Looking forward to the inevitable damage control.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 23:04 finga

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this comment was pulled out of context. Whether the two sentences were consecutive or not, I don't think there was intended to be that close of a connection between them.

PC gamers have a hard time relaxing, though.

29. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 22:57 Kris Redbeard

'cause nobody wants to

I want to.
I hate the way FPS' (in general) are progressing.

GROUND BRANCH
Mature Classic Tactical First Person Shooter

28. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 22:54 Prez

And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to."

HAHAHAHAHA! Not just a moron, but an ARROGANT moron. "Halo was so awesome it made the mouse and keyboard obsolete!" LMAO!

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 22:14 Cutter

Right, no one want to have the precision of a mouse and keyboard. That's why competitive FPS' are all played on gamedpads, right? They look and play 100 times better on PCs too. But hey, why would anyone want that?  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

26. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 22:05 Jay

Halo of limiting players to two weapons and recharging health have changed the FPS.

I'm sure there are earlier examples, but Trespasser did those way before Halo.

25. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 21:58 Beamer

Pretty sure he doesn't mean m/k when he says that. Pretty sure he means limited weapons, checkpoints, recharging health, etc.

And he's right - few games are made without that because, honestly, it kind of sucks not having most of those. I say most because, frankly, screw having only a few weapons. It makes sense for some games. It drives me nuts being in every game.

I was about to give some of the credit for this stuff to Crytek, because almost all of it was in Far Cry, but looking Bungie did it about 3 years first.
And those parts were the parts of Far Cry I hated. Well, I guess I hated a lot of Far Cry, which is funny considering I love Far Cry.

Almost none of this was done by them first, just most notably.

And if he did mean m/k, that's idiotic. No one prefers this. People just prefer couches and big screen tvs, which don't go with m/k. If controllers were the prefered input you'd see them standard amongst pc players. You don't.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2013, 22:10.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 21:52 cronik

Acleacius wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 21:29:
Moronic or arrogantly asinine? You decide, cause I can't.

Actually, I find myself in agreement with them.

To me also, mouse and keyboard is a relic of a bye-gone era.

23. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 21:29 Acleacius

Jones told them. "We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game -- almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to."
Moronic or arrogantly asinine? You decide, cause I can't.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

22. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 21:25 Talisorn

jdreyer wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 21:01:
Basically, what Flatline said. Wow, way to miss out on a huge demographic. Clueless with tunnel vision.

And guess what? They are still going to make a tonne of money because nobody has successfully pulled off an MMO that has captured the imagination of the console kiddies. MMOs are big business and there's bugger all out there for the consoles.

And I don't see it as necessarily and arrogant snub towards the PC. It seems more about cognitive dissonance/Jedi mind-trick aimed at the console kiddies. What they are saying is "You don't want to go to those PCs to play MMO's! You want to play OUR MMO on your favorite console".

Face it guys. We are not their target audience.

Not that I really care. I haven't played a Bungie game since Myth. An I have no desire to pick up one of those abominations of a controller.

21. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 21:24 NegaDeath

Talk about full of themselves. "We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard." Is that supposed to be special? Pretty damn sure Goldeneye ran on a gamepad well before your game came out.

Its always sad to see a former PC developer (or Mac, whatever) drink the console koolaid and forget their roots.

20. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 21:11 DangerDog

What happened to xim360? Just took a look and it's a dead url.  

19. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 21:11 Flatline

This is just a wordy version of "Bungie made you their bitch, so get ready to suck it down."  

18. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 21:08 bigspender

I wonder if all of the company cars at bungie have had there steering wheels removed and they used a touchscreen to tilt left and right to steer.  

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

17. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 21:07 xXBatmanXx

hah! Is that why there is a huge market and push to get emulators for the xbox and ps3 that allow m/kb? There are MILLIONS of dollars to be had to whoever figures it out.

I think what he meant to say is "cause we don't allow it".

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 21:01 jdreyer

Flatline wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 20:55:
Dear Bungie:

Fuck you you arrogant twats. You just lost a customer.

Basically, what Flatline said. Wow, way to miss out on a huge demographic. Clueless with tunnel vision.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 20:55 Flatline

Dear Bungie:

Fuck you you arrogant twats. You just lost a customer.

14. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 20:47 PropheT

"We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people," Jones told them. "We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game -- almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to."

You know, after pointing those out, those are pretty much the worst things about every shooter using that formula in the last 10 years.

As far as no one wanting to play with a mouse and keyboard, that's just idiotic. "You cannot possibly be serious" is about the only thing I can come up with as a response. Playing shooters with a controller is an exercise in frustration to anyone who's used to the more precise controls offered with a keyboard/mouse... it's something you use if there's no better option, not because it's the best solution out there. Especially coming from a guy whose games were Xbox/Xbox360 exclusives, no shit they didn't want keyboard/mouse. It wasn't even an option for them to choose; that's like being told to choose between Navy Seals or Jedi when going to fight terrorists in Afghanistan. You're a little limited by the 2nd option given that little problem where they don't actually exist.

13. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 20:43 Saboth

I've got several consoles that are only used for Netfix, because I honestly can't stand using stalk controllers. It's like playing a round of golf with a miniature golf club.  

12. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 20:32 Primalchrome

...if no one wants to use them, why not make them available with no handicapping? Could it be that you know that it would destroy the egos of all FPS console monkeys that think they are competitive with a gamepad? That you would see online play dominated by mouse/keyboard users and put paid to your sad lies?  

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo