Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB

A couple of general indications from Bungie suggest the possibility that their just-announced Destiny may make to PCs after only being announced for consoles. "We would absolutely love to be on the PC. If you talk to the people upstairs, we play it on all platforms," Bungie COO Pete Parsons told Eurogamer. So, stay tuned." The PA Report has a similar vague hint from Parsons, who explains the game should be easy to port: "The interesting part is we, from the ground up, from the very beginning, we have made sure that [Destiny] can be on multiple platforms," he told them. "It’s one thing to say it, it’s another to design and actually architect for it, which we’ve absolutely done." On the other hand, Destructoid has a quote from Bungie cofounder Jason Jones suggesting playing first-person shooters with mice and keyboards is obsolete, as their "ambitious" moves with Halo of limiting players to two weapons and recharging health have changed the FPS. "We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people," Jones told them. "We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game -- almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to."

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

51. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 05:45 Ozmodan

Any idiot knows that a mouse keyboard combination owns in FPS. Even on consoles. The only thing I can say is this guy is an idiot.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 05:18 Dev

Got around to reading the RPS article someone linked earlier. It says a lot of the same things I just did, only better. I like these bits:

Consoles are way more popular than PCs for gamers these days, the PS3 and 360 having created a market that we’ve never seen before. The PC hasn’t gotten smaller – it’s just the rest of the gaming industry has gotten bigger around it. PC has never stopped being a significant factor, but consoles have become a more significant one.
[...]
Battlefield 3. 8 million on the consoles, “just” 3.1m on the PC. So, once again, barely any difference between the PC and either console, and again, a massive portion of sales going to the keyboard brigade. But it seems we’re being told that the only sensible message for EA to take from this is that should just write off 28% of their overall sales of the game, and abandon this lost cause. Next is BioShock. A million on PC. 2.2m on consoles. Yup, same again then. And apparently both Left 4 Deads selling 5 million on PC, and 6 million on both consoles, means “the PC version lost out yet again.”
[...]
only 70,000 were playing TF2 yesterday, but Halo 4 had 75,000. Um, Team Fortress 2 (as well as being a cross-platform game, but never mind) came out on PC five and a half years ago. Halo 4 came out three months ago. And the PC’s TF2 is still basically matching it for concurrent players?!

rockpapershotgun link

49. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 05:16 Armengar

what an asshat.

How about get a game and open it to console and PC (TF2 is rife for plucking) and see how good the console controllers are vs KB/mouse. dont get me wrong i'm sure there are people who are excellent on controller FPS but take the "average" controller vs "average" KB/mouse and im sure there will be a lot of whiners on consoles.

Steam online players dont seem to suggest FPS is dead on PCs either.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

48. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 04:38 Dev

Also, the PC gamer market hasn't really shrunk, if anything its grown. Used to be a top seller for PC games was a few thousand copies, hitting a hundred thousand was a milestone. BUT, the consoles entered and satisfied an entire new market, the mass market. So while the sales of those are large by comparison, it doesn't mean the PC market is microscopic.

Plus, there's more profit per copy to be made in the PC market. A copy of skyrim on steam for $60 makes beth about twice as much as a $60 console copy sold from gamestop. So even if the sales from PC are half as much as any single other platform, the profit is likely close to the same.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 05:17.

47. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 04:28 Dev

Kajetan wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 03:59:
Dev wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 03:08:
Also, pretty much anyone tries cross platform play, they have to nerf PC users or boost console users (with auto aim etc), so I'm pretty sure PC users are at an advantage.
Remember this Shadowrun shooter? They hyped cross plattform play, they tried it, they scrapped it. Because this does not work with shooters. In fact, cross plattform gameplay works with only very very few genres.
Yes, but on the ones that have been tried, tahts what was typically done.

46. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 04:15 InBlack

Talk about the height of delusional grandeur. This guy has his head so fucking high in the clouds no oxygen is getting to his brain. I feel sorry for people that have to work for this guy, they have my sympathies. Truly.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 06:53.

I have a nifty blue line!

45. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 03:59 Kajetan

Dev wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 03:08:
Also, pretty much anyone tries cross platform play, they have to nerf PC users or boost console users (with auto aim etc), so I'm pretty sure PC users are at an advantage.
Remember this Shadowrun shooter? They hyped cross plattform play, they tried it, they scrapped it. Because this does not work with shooters. In fact, cross plattform gameplay works with only very very few genres.

44. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 03:56 Bhruic

RPS article

Just read that, a nice summation of how stupid the kb/m comment is.

43. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 03:13 Theo

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 01:32:
"And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to."

Someone hasn't seen Halo and Halo 2's PC sales...

They probably have that's the problem. The guy is still a douche however.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

42. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 03:08 Dev

I think nobody wants to play bungie games. That statement is just as valid as his.

41. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 02:16 Gas Bandit

Jason Jones is an unmitigated cock-knocker.  

40. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 01:50 Bob

I don't understand why something like this hybrid trackball gamepad didn't get more support.

Take a usual gamepad and replace the right stick with a large trackball.
So you have left stick for movement and right trackball for high precision/speed mouse aiming. Best of both worlds.

Unfortunately it only got 10% funding

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/485185897/trackball-pc-game-controller

39. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 01:47 NamecaF

Nobody wants to play with mouse/KB? What a load of horse shit! Fuck you Jason Jones.  

38. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 01:32 Dr. D. Schreber

"And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to."

Someone hasn't seen Halo and Halo 2's PC sales...

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

37. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 01:23 Roachmojo

WTF?! This idiotic arrogant cock-mongering Bunghole can go fuck himself.

I'll never give up my wireless keyboard and mouse

36. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 01:03 Krizzen

Umm... what?

"Bungie cofounder Jason Jones suggesting playing first-person shooters with mice and keyboards is obsolete..."

I didn't know retards could cofound companies. Learn something new every day...

Because the majority of console sheeple haven't been enlightened!

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 01:09.

35. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 00:41 ^Drag0n^

almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time.

They still are.

Not allowing me to save when I want to is ass.

Limiting my choice is also ass.

Main reason why I never got into Halo. That and the kiddie-friendly villans.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

34. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 00:02 jdreyer

This thread wins the internets.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

33. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 23:27 deqer

"If you talk to the people upstairs, we play it on all platforms,"

So, Bungie. You have a bunch of employed newbs that play shooters with a gamepad? Okay.

32. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 23:15 Mashiki Amiketo

cronik wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 21:52:
Actually, I find myself in agreement with them.

To me also, mouse and keyboard is a relic of a bye-gone era.
Ah. I see, so a AWESOME! button is where it's at.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo