Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB

A couple of general indications from Bungie suggest the possibility that their just-announced Destiny may make to PCs after only being announced for consoles. "We would absolutely love to be on the PC. If you talk to the people upstairs, we play it on all platforms," Bungie COO Pete Parsons told Eurogamer. So, stay tuned." The PA Report has a similar vague hint from Parsons, who explains the game should be easy to port: "The interesting part is we, from the ground up, from the very beginning, we have made sure that [Destiny] can be on multiple platforms," he told them. "Itís one thing to say it, itís another to design and actually architect for it, which weíve absolutely done." On the other hand, Destructoid has a quote from Bungie cofounder Jason Jones suggesting playing first-person shooters with mice and keyboards is obsolete, as their "ambitious" moves with Halo of limiting players to two weapons and recharging health have changed the FPS. "We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people," Jones told them. "We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game -- almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to."

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

71. removed Feb 20, 2013, 07:10 Quinn

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 22, 2013, 08:04.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

70. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 20, 2013, 07:05 Armengar

Quboid wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 09:10:
I don't think he's claiming that game controllers are as effective as Kb/M, that in direct competition they would match or better us. His bullshit argument is that controllers are so much more popular, not that they're so much better.

Well if you have no choice of course it will be more popular on a console. If KB/mouse was supported in all XBOX 360 and PS3 games (properly, I am aware of the support options for PS3) then im sure a massive proportion would switch immediately as the skill gap would polarise.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

69. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 17:45 Wowbagger_TIP

Kajetan wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 03:59:
Dev wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 03:08:
Also, pretty much anyone tries cross platform play, they have to nerf PC users or boost console users (with auto aim etc), so I'm pretty sure PC users are at an advantage.
Remember this Shadowrun shooter? They hyped cross plattform play, they tried it, they scrapped it. Because this does not work with shooters. In fact, cross plattform gameplay works with only very very few genres.
Yeah, when they tried it, the console players got their asses handed to them by PC players. Even when they had expert console players against average PC players.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

68. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 17:44 Proudfoot

So, wasn't there a game a few years back from Microsoft, Shadow something-or-other that was cross-platform but they wouldn't allow PC gamers to play against console gamers b/c they found the mouse/kb users OWNED the controller folks in their beta tests?

Sure, Bungie revolutionized gaming by using the controller to shoot stuff... mmkay

67. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 13:56 Shataan

" Bungie cofounder Jason Jones suggesting playing first-person shooters with mice and keyboards is obsolete"

Ya know he didn`t know sh*t then, and he doesn`t know sh*t now. Halo almost came to the masses as a 3rd pov asscam game. If it wasn`t for Micro$oft buying it and doing the right thing ie having the 1st pov, and 3rd pov for driving......

So when you hear them say something like " playing first-person shooters with mice and keyboards is obsolete", imo it is fair to say this person is out to lunch and is way out of touch with PC gamers on the whole.

No way would Halo have sold the numbers it did if it was a 3rd pov only asscam game. And keyboard mouse is far from obsolete.

66. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 13:45 RollinThundr

Quboid wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 10:16:
Beamer wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 09:26:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 08:54:
Beamer wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 08:38:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 08:29:
You know it sucks that people this clueless manage to get rich. *sigh*

He was also the lead on Myth and Marathon, the two games people that hate Halo cite as reasons why Bungie used to be great.

Eh Bungie isn't particularly great then either, if Myth and Marathon are considered their "great" period.

I'm not making the claim. I have no fond memories of either.

Plenty of fond memories of Halo 1 PC, which makes me in the minority, and of Halo 3, which is the closest thing we have to a spiritual successor to GoldenEye/Perfect Dark. We did a couple of, well, kind of LAN parties a few years back. 2 TVs, 2 Xboxes, 16 people rotating on and off in groups of 8. Very few other games let you do 4 per system. Online, too. Which makes it far and away one of the best party games and one of the only hardcore party games.

Never has a statement been so undered! (Wait, that's not right.) Never has an underer statement been uttered! (Hmm, no.) That's an understatement! (Yeah! Got it!)

I first played Halo on the PC, although naturally I'd seen plenty of Xbox footage. What the heck was the fuss about? If that was want consolers thought was a good FPS, well, that's almost adorable.

Yeah that's pretty much how I felt about the first one and the series in general, never understood the Bungie love, unless one is all about mediocre average titles, which even pre halo, imo Bungie's games have always been pretty mediocre.

65. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 10:29 Beamer

Eh, few FPS games at the time had vehicles you could run around and steal. Yeah, Tribes had vehicles, but they weren't really agile and felt more for transport than combat.

Halo had combat vehicles. Before any other game I can think of.

Plus, Halo had a really low online skill level. Man, going 30-0 was super common for me. I could do it in CS and HL, but not with nearly the frequency. Well, HL I kind of could.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

64. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 10:16 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 09:26:

He was also the lead on Myth and Marathon, the two games people that hate Halo cite as reasons why Bungie used to be great.

Eh Bungie isn't particularly great then either, if Myth and Marathon are considered their "great" period.

Plenty of fond memories of Halo 1 PC, which makes me in the minority, and of Halo 3, which is the closest thing we have to a spiritual successor to GoldenEye/Perfect Dark. We did a couple of, well, kind of LAN parties a few years back. 2 TVs, 2 Xboxes, 16 people rotating on and off in groups of 8. Very few other games let you do 4 per system. Online, too. Which makes it far and away one of the best party games and one of the only hardcore party games.

Never has a statement been so undered! (Wait, that's not right.) Never has an underer statement been uttered! (Hmm, no.) That's an understatement! (Yeah! Got it!)

I first played Halo on the PC, although naturally I'd seen plenty of Xbox footage. What the heck was the fuss about? If that was want consolers thought was a good FPS, well, that's almost adorable.

- Quboid

63. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 09:26 Beamer

-------------

62. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 09:11 Jonjonz

Nobody does "mouse/keyboard envy" like console players.

As if all those mouth breathing console players were a plus.

61. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 09:10 Quboid

Ozmodan wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 05:45:
Any idiot knows that a mouse keyboard combination owns in FPS. Even on consoles. The only thing I can say is this guy is an idiot.

I don't think he's claiming that game controllers are as effective as Kb/M, that in direct competition they would match or better us. His bullshit argument is that controllers are so much more popular, not that they're so much better.

- Quboid

60. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 08:54 RollinThundr

59. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 08:40 shinchan0s

What happened to you Bungie? You used to be cool. Now you just fart out a new Halo game every couple of years.

Pretty sure Microsoft will get scared and force to change this Destiny game to Halo (how many has it been so far I lost track?)... 6.

58. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 08:38 Beamer

-------------

57. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 08:38 Beamer

InBlack wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 07:44:
I still remember how universaly acclaimed Bungie was back in the day, these guys were more popular than Jesus and Could Do No Wrong, then they signed with Microsoft and all those sexy pictures were released on the net of their brand new FPS game and people were talking about the Second Coming and all that.....and then they announced Halo was going to be an XBOX exclusive.....

Now Im reading these comments here and cant help but wonder what the fuck is wrong with our hobby (and more or less the world in general) and only one answer keeps presenting itself time and time again: $$$

Well, it wasn't announced as an FPS until it was announced as an Xbox exclusive.

Prior to that it was a real time strategy and, later, a third person shooter.

-------------

56. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 08:29 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

55. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 07:44 InBlack

I still remember how universaly acclaimed Bungie was back in the day, these guys were more popular than Jesus and Could Do No Wrong, then they signed with Microsoft and all those sexy pictures were released on the net of their brand new FPS game and people were talking about the Second Coming and all that.....and then they announced Halo was going to be an XBOX exclusive.....

Now Im reading these comments here and cant help but wonder what the fuck is wrong with our hobby (and more or less the world in general) and only one answer keeps presenting itself time and time again: $$$

I have a nifty blue line!

54. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 07:40 Numinar

Bungie has a lot to be proud of, and I enjoy certain shooters (Halo, Borderlands) on controllers... the X360 controller is an awesome HOTAS unit.

But this REEKS of going mad with power. If the next consoles do not sell so well he is going to look very silly as they shoehorn mouse support in as a desperate last ditch effort to recover tens of millions in development costs.

Even restricting PC users to controllers for cross platform play wont work, as people will find a way to emulate it. that said, if it is co-op only who cares if someone has a better setup?

I really like the sound of the seemless instancing in destiny, look forward to some good co-op shooting.

53. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 07:38 StaTik

What a load. This is saying we have designed the game around console controllers and we are to lazy to up the speed and difficulty for a better control setup. I thought it might be me, I'm old, so i just asked my 10 year old son what control setup he likes for FPS. He answered with no hesitation "keyboard and mouse".
Hell I'm just shocked Bungie is not still MS's xbox bitch but the day is still young.

52. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 19, 2013, 06:43 Julio

Bungie are a bunch of dinosaurs who made a mediocre couple of games ages ago, they can stay on console and off PC.  

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo