Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Jon Shafer Feb 18, 2013, 21:28 Quboid

I hadn't seen that, thanks for pointing it out. As well as it being a good, informative video, it's great to see him come on here and give straight answers. Nice one, Jon!

Edit: Yes Bhruic, that's pretty much why I haven't backed it. It looks interesting and is the sort of game I would play a fair bit but the chance of it either not being very good or not being released at all is too high for the small saving they're offering on KS.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Jon Shafer Feb 18, 2013, 21:24 Bhruic

Quboid wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 20:40:
That's a very interesting article. He's not shy about Civ V's flaws (even 1UPT which I love) so it is interesting reading. He is, of course, trying to sell At The Gates and he only brings up Civ's flaws to explain how AtG is so much better but it's still a frank and interesting look at designing a 4X game.

Yeah, I was impressed by the amount of candid admissions.

The main question is whether the changes will be better. It's relatively easy to figure out what you did wrong, but that doesn't mean you've come up with something better - your new approach could be equally wrong, or even worse. That's not to say it won't be better, but I'll want to see a finished product before making up my mind.

2. Re: Jon Shafer Feb 18, 2013, 21:18 nin

I'm not sure if you saw his post here, where he explains it a little more.

It's not really the kind of game I like to play, but I do wish him luck with it. And he's at 60k, with two weeks to go, so I don't think 75-80+ is out of the question (with the last minute push KS get - kicktraq says 145, but I'm more than a little skeptical of that).

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Jon Shafer Feb 18, 2013, 20:40 Quboid

From Jon Shafer, about At The Gates on Kickstarter:
this campaign will be our sole source of funding for development

$40,000 for a game which isn't due to be delivered for 18 months is your sole source for 3 developers and a handful of part-time contractors? That just doesn't add up. I hope they've got a liberal definition of "sole source" and the developers' living expenses are coming out of their savings or something.

I'm glad it's been funded already and should get several times its minimum. I was tempted to back it but $5 off the retail price isn't worth it - Kickstarter isn't a developers' charity, I'm not backing something unless it's a bargain or a sure thing and this is neither.

Edit:
That's a very interesting article. He's not shy about Civ V's flaws (even 1UPT which I love) so it is interesting reading. He is, of course, trying to sell At The Gates and he only brings up Civ's flaws to explain how AtG is so much better but it's still a frank and interesting look at designing a 4X game.

I liked the point about making the AI too life-like. Humans do random, stupid things which if the AI did it, it would just look like crappy AI (which Civ V had, for other reasons).

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2013, 20:57.

- Quboid

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo