Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 19, 2013, 10:10 avianflu

Far Cry 1, for its time of release, was a brilliant 9 out of 10 game. The scalable engine was impressive too.

Havent liked anything of theirs since sadly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 19, 2013, 07:02 InBlack

Was the first Far Cry developed by Crytek? I stand corrected then, they made ONE decent game. Far Cry was by far a superior game to Crysis in almost every single way except for graphics.

Crysis took everything that was cool about Far Cry, dumbed it down a notch, made it more linear (yeah put me on a jungle island and then proceed to funnel me down with invisible walls GREAT WORK!) replaced mutants with aliens (original eh?) and then completely disregarded the one place where the game could have shone, the multiplayer...oh yeah dont let me get started on the whole 'pirates!' thing. Argh...

I have a nifty blue line!

31. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 19, 2013, 06:06 jdreyer

Pretty good list, even though it's more like a top 12.

I think the most annoying thing about Crysis is having to fiddle with the gun and the suit. Do love the original Far Cry to death tho.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

30. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 19, 2013, 04:37 InBlack

jdreyer wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 15:09:
InBlack wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 09:49:
Fuck Crytek. I have yet to see a decent game made by them. Yeah including the first Crysis, which was a nice techdemo and all...

Crysis wasn't the greatest game ever, but it was good. What are your top 3 FPSs, InBlack? Just out of curiosity.

Oh damn thats a hard one. Singleplayer or Multiplayer? Or combined? I would honestly have to rate Half-Life as #1 regardless. With all its assorted mods, sequels, thrown in for good measure. I wouldnt split them apart even though they are different games. Quake1 introduced me to competitive multiplayer FPS, but its singleplayer sucked and I prefer Doom2's deathmatch anyway, so I would put Doom (1 and 2) on place number #2 overall.

#3 is hard, there are so many games to choose from which I found to have been influental, gripping, worthwhile. From the newer titles the first AvP to grace the PC, Q3A, Unreal Tournament, the first FarCry, who could forget Duke Nukem 3d, L4D did some things with the FPS that I thought impossible, then there is Operation Flashpoint which although buggy, really blew my mind with possibilities. Damn...#3 is hard Dont ask me for top three please...

I have a nifty blue line!

29. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 18, 2013, 18:41 HorrorScope

Malachii wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 16:45:
Eirikrautha wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 15:15:
swedishfriend wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 11:59:
That AMD or NVidia are purposely letting performance suffer for the PC users that will magically be rectified just for consoles?

That's interesting to me. Does Nvidia for example, make more on integrated chip sales such as PC and consoles, etc or by the PC enthusiast slapping a new huge card in? I know in my personal life, the amount of friends that still do this and game is down to well, me. :-)

From my understanding NVidia is totally in the cold with both consoles, so if anything they will want to bring out Game Card X for the PC and settle this shit once and for all!

28. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 18, 2013, 18:36 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 14:44:
Yes, you can get more performance out of equivalent hardware in the console because you don't have the bloated shit that is Windows sitting between you and your access to the hardware

Creston

You do have bloated Live weighing you down some. As mentioned earlier to me it seems the gains are getting smaller each gen on this "direct to hw" slant. It seems they are all trying to use common apps to build games so they port better, that alone means less direct to hw.

But as you say, with the rumors so far, I don't know how these consoles will be ahead of top shelf pc's when both proc and gpu are well underneath. Must be Magic.

As for your mentioning this gens games will look a lot like lasts... I no to dream small... I'm just hoping with much larger levels with a lot less loads, that will carry over to the PC for us. That is all I'm hoping for as the net gain for us.

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 16:55 Beamer

Malachii wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 16:45:
That's interesting to me. Does Nvidia for example, make more on integrated chip sales such as PC and consoles, etc or by the PC enthusiast slapping a new huge card in? I know in my personal life, the amount of friends that still do this and game is down to well, me. :-)

Integrated tends to be #1, high end tends to be #2.

Their laptop business is their biggest, I think their high end desktop is their second biggest.
Both dwarf the Tegra market, but the Tegra division is growing while their GPU business is declining.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 16:53 TheEmissary

swedishfriend wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 16:01:
Seems to me he is saying that no console ever could match a "nuclear power plant" level extreme special built PC in terms of raw power. He isn't really putting down the consoles at all, just talking about where his company is aiming vs where the mainstream is aiming. If you can afford to aim further ahead into the future then that might be a good strategy. Console makers cannot afford to do this as they don't want to take a loss on their hardware for too long. Personally I am excited for both the PC space and the console space now that gaming is becoming more accepted in general.

I am not too sure that what he is really saying at least completely. Sure he did mention high-end systems but the average PC has at least ten times the processing power of a console. For a console to stay competitive they have to increase to that scale as well. The Xbox to Xbox360 is the kind of jump in performance we need see.

He kept mentioning the NDA and that the consoles can't match the PC its not hard to put two and two together. Between the lines it seems we are probably likely to get an improvement but probably a modest one.

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 16:45 Malachii

That AMD or NVidia are purposely letting performance suffer for the PC users that will magically be rectified just for consoles?

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 16:25 DangerDog

I really don't understand the logic behind rehashing Crysis 2 again, it's more or less the same setting and you're still fighting the same looking enemies. This one feels more like a showcase for their engine than any sort of evolution to the series.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 16:01 swedishfriend

Seems to me he is saying that no console ever could match a "nuclear power plant" level extreme special built PC in terms of raw power. He isn't really putting down the consoles at all, just talking about where his company is aiming vs where the mainstream is aiming. If you can afford to aim further ahead into the future then that might be a good strategy. Console makers cannot afford to do this as they don't want to take a loss on their hardware for too long. Personally I am excited for both the PC space and the console space now that gaming is becoming more accepted in general.  

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 15:24 Beamer

Sure, it's easier to write clean code when you know exactly what hardware you'll be coding for. But that doesn't necessarily equate with better performance...

All things being equal it will always equate to better performance.

But all things aren't equal. The guy with 4 GPUs and whatever Intel is currently selling for $999 is certainly not equal to whatever is going onto these systems.

-------------

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 15:15 Eirikrautha

Consoles don't need as much power to get better results because programmers will get much closer to the hardware. The general consensus From people who review both PC and console games is that no hardware you can buy today will be enough to run the games that are coming for the new consoles. They are saying don't upgrade until next year to be ready for the next generation of games...
No offense intended... but I'd need to see at least ONE such opinion in order to give it credence... much less the many you would need for a "consensus." And I haven't seen any. Except speculation from fanbois and pie-in-the-sky predictions from bought-and-paid-for console mags... and not even much of that.

Seriously, though, what console developer is going to honestly say, "Yeah, we're selling a mid-range PC in console form"? Of course there'll be some "secret sauce" touted by the console developers... but do you actually believe that? That AMD or NVidia are purposely letting performance suffer for the PC users that will magically be rectified just for consoles?

Sure, it's easier to write clean code when you know exactly what hardware you'll be coding for. But that doesn't necessarily equate with better performance...

20. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 18, 2013, 15:09 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 09:49:
Fuck Crytek. I have yet to see a decent game made by them. Yeah including the first Crysis, which was a nice techdemo and all...

Crysis wasn't the greatest game ever, but it was good. What are your top 3 FPSs, InBlack? Just out of curiosity.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 14:59 TheEmissary

AngelicPenguin wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 14:57:
TheEmissary wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 14:52:

Watercooling is for the overclocking subculture of hardware enthusiasts not the mainstream pc gamers.

I think real watercooling is, but they sell kits now that are no harder to install than a regular CPU fan/heatsink. Although I don't know how you define "mainstream" pc gamers, so perhaps you would think even that was beyond what they would do.

For a person capable of building a system it isn't beyond them. For the tons of people on the forums that go "can my system run X game" or first time builders which is lot of people I can see them getting tripped up. It is kind of hassle you don't really need to go through if you don't plan on overclocking.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 14:57 AngelicPenguin

TheEmissary wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 14:52:

Watercooling is for the overclocking subculture of hardware enthusiasts not the mainstream pc gamers.

I think real watercooling is, but they sell kits now that are no harder to install than a regular CPU fan/heatsink. Although I don't know how you define "mainstream" pc gamers, so perhaps you would think even that was beyond what they would do.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 14:56 nin

AngelicPenguin wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 14:54:
I just read the whole thing as a long-winded version of "the game will have great graphics that far exceed what a console can do."

Crytek, if you want to throw some marketing bucks my way, I can come up with more.

Play up the piracy angle. "Poor Cevat is starving", etc etc...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 14:54 AngelicPenguin

I just read the whole thing as a long-winded version of "the game will have great graphics that far exceed what a console can do."

Crytek, if you want to throw some marketing bucks my way, I can come up with more.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 14:52 TheEmissary

Beamer wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 14:45:
Yeah, it's interesting because everything he's saying is less true now than when the 360 launched.

I have no proof of this, but I get the impression that dual-GPU PCs are less common. Water-cooled PCs are less common. In general PC gamers aren't building the ridiculously powered systems they did in the past because it just doesn't matter as much, as everyone here keeps saying. Plus the price of parts has fallen, anyway, so a $2000 PC is far less common and you have to struggle to make a $3000 PC (excluding monitor.)

As some of you have mentioned, I wonder how much of his comments are due to the new Xbox, and possibly new PS, being largely off-the-shelf (so was the original Xbox, but...)

It really depends on what you consider a dual GPU machine. If you go by PCB boards in SLI and crossfire then yes not to many people own those. If you go by dual GPUs on the same PCBs then plenty of people own those more than they have in the 2005's. There are also consumer grade laptops that have hybrid graphics that use the GPU on the Die and a integrated GPU. Its a more expensive option not a prohibitively one.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 14:45 Beamer

Yeah, it's interesting because everything he's saying is less true now than when the 360 launched.

I have no proof of this, but I get the impression that dual-GPU PCs are less common. Water-cooled PCs are less common. In general PC gamers aren't building the ridiculously powered systems they did in the past because it just doesn't matter as much, as everyone here keeps saying. Plus the price of parts has fallen, anyway, so a $2000 PC is far less common and you have to struggle to make a $3000 PC (excluding monitor.)

As some of you have mentioned, I wonder how much of his comments are due to the new Xbox, and possibly new PS, being largely off-the-shelf (so was the original Xbox, but...)

-------------

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo