Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 14:44 Creston

swedishfriend wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 11:59:
The general consensus From people who review both PC and console games is that no hardware you can buy today will be enough to run the games that are coming for the new consoles.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Hey buddy, I have this awesome bridge to sell you. It's in San Francisco, and it's cheap!

Yes, you can get more performance out of equivalent hardware in the console because you don't have the bloated shit that is Windows sitting between you and your access to the hardware (although the 720 is going to run on a slimmed down Windows 8, apparently, and the PS firmware is getting pretty portly too.)

But the idea that no PC built today will be able to run a game released for either console in a year is BEYOND fucking ludicrous. May I recommend that you stop reading those particular "reviewers" because they're either high or are taking humongous paychecks from MS/Sony to spread this utter horseshit.

Also, the "next generation" of games is going to look pretty much exactly like this generation of games, at least at first. There is never some huge jump when new consoles come out, because devs have no clue how to utilize the increase in power at first.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 14:38 TheEmissary

Consoles don't need as much power to get better results because programmers will get much closer to the hardware. The general consensus From people who review both PC and console games is that no hardware you can buy today will be enough to run the games that are coming for the new consoles. They are saying don't upgrade until next year to be ready for the next generation of games...

The only reason that game port requirements have increased relative to console is because of time spend optimizing. They hit the frame rate they want and don't tune the game any farther than that. Some developers might go the extra mile but most won't.

Then again the new games may not force the change we have been wanting out of this generation of gaming.If you read the Crytek news story, Yerli is pretty much saying between the lines that the new consoles aren't nearly as revolutionary as they should be. You don't get this type of article when the hardware is shaping up to be amazing.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 14:34 Fion

Consoles don't need as much power to get better results because programmers will get much closer to the hardware. The general consensus From people who review both PC and console games is that no hardware you can buy today will be enough to run the games that are coming for the new consoles. They are saying don't upgrade until next year to be ready for the next generation of games...

That's simply hype. The consoles are based upon PC tech more-so than ever. The only thing they can do is rope the hardware makers into holding off on equivalent releases for a time - similarly to how they did with the PS3/XBox 360 when they released. But the speed at which PC tech advances, upon release they'll already be behind the curve compared to enthusiast systems.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 11:59 swedishfriend

9. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 18, 2013, 11:42 Kajetan

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 09:44:
"Our graphics programmers said, 'we're going to give them a game they can't run any more."
That is easy. Especially for Crytek. Simply redo the coding mess you did with Crysis 1.

8. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 18, 2013, 10:10 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 09:44:
What we are hearing is there isn't some new groundbreaking tech coming with these new consoles. It's based on PC tech. Where as in the past when the consoles were released they had unique technology that at least made them the leader for a period of time.

And that turned out to only be on paper, since when the 360 was finally released, none of the programmers knew how to use all its power, since none of them had ever prepared to start coding multiple threads. So for at least a year or more, all 360 games only used one of its three cores.

And then the exact same thing happened with the PS3, since the Cell was such a weird piece of architecture.

So in reality, good PCs at the time still handily beat both consoles. And for this upcoming cycle, it's absolutely no contest. The PC I'm running right now, which I built a year ago, would destroy the 720 and PS4 combined, and it's not even considered high-end anymore.

Creston

7. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 18, 2013, 09:49 InBlack

Fuck Crytek. I have yet to see a decent game made by them. Yeah including the first Crysis, which was a nice techdemo and all...  

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 18, 2013, 09:44 HorrorScope

What we are hearing is there isn't some new groundbreaking tech coming with these new consoles. It's based on PC tech. Where as in the past when the consoles were released they had unique technology that at least made them the leader for a period of time. This time around, they are going to settle into a mid-range PC power wise. Which I'm ok with, just put a lot of ram in those, that is what has been limiting us.

I know there was some of this, but was there a lot?:
"With Crysis 2 we tried to make the spec available to as many PC gamers as possible. Then we heard back from the loudest group, which was enthusiast PC gamers, 'our PCs are running this game at 200 frames. What the hell? We should be running at 30 frames.'

"Crytek is probably the only company where you read forums and YouTube, people are excited if they can't run the game. I don't think it's like that at any other game company.

"Our graphics programmers said, 'we're going to give them a game they can't run any more."

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 09:42 necrosis

osage no onna wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 09:09:
$2000-3000 for a gaming PC? rly Yerli? I think my desktop was around $500 a couple years ago, and it still runs everything. I suppose the purported high cost of PC gaming is one of the myths that keep console gamers from feeling like chumps, so it lives on.
Remember you needed a "$4000" computer to run that Star Wars Unleashed on PC when it came out. Rolleyes

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 09:33 Cutter

Yeah, I'm sure Actiblizz will be a big help for Halo:Destiny. Making sure they get the virtually exact same shitty game out year after year to sell to the sheeple.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 09:29 Jedi Master

To be fair, he was talking about people using SLI and Crossfire and watercooling for OC'ing. You can't do that for $500, although $3000 seems too high. In Europe, however (and remember this was a Euro-based interview) the costs for a triple-card water-cooled OC'd system is easily going to be $2000 USD.  

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 09:26 nin

Price vs performance has also dropped quite a bit in the last few years...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 09:09 osage no onna

$2000-3000 for a gaming PC? rly Yerli? I think my desktop was around $500 a couple years ago, and it still runs everything. I suppose the purported high cost of PC gaming is one of the myths that keep console gamers from feeling like chumps, so it lives on.  

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo